Rega knocks it out of the park - new integrated and phono amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Oct 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I keep reading from a couple people here and on another audio forum about the nude black diamond ellipticals for the Stanton carts. One guy is 'cafe latte' from Australia who sings the praises of this particular aftermarket stylus. As I run a 680EE with an OEM Stereohedron stylus on my old Denon DP-23F, I wonder what I'll do next. I was a big Stanton fanboy back in the day and had a 681EEE for years always replacing the stylus with OEM Stereohedron styli until they disappeared.

This is the one being discussed but I'm gathering one manufacturer is making it and it's being marketed under different names:

ANALOGIS | BLACK DIAMOND, BLACK DIAMOND, Replacement Stylus Stanton D 6800 E | BLACK DIAMOND

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I heard the Rega IO at Audio Connection, playing a Bluesound Node 2i through a pair of Vandersteen VLR CTs. That little setup sounded great. It’s hard to believe that little amp could sound so great. It’s got to be one of the best deals in high end audio at under $600.

bhazen, Leao and shug4476 like this.
  3. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Or at least under $650 now

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Cs: I have heard about that Black Diamond stylus but never used it. I use OEM Stanton styli that were made to accurately transfer vinyl to digital platforms. They work extremely well in my Rega and sound wonderful.

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I can buy one for about $60 USD from Mr. Stylus (if you go direct through email they can drop the VAT tax) but I don't know that I want to take a chance on someone else's recommendation. And if I don't like it, sending it back to Germany or wherever he is sounds like no fun.

6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I sold my Brio and kept my IO.

bhazen and bluemooze like this.
  7. Swingburn

Swingburn Forum Resident

Did NOT like the IO. Plastic-y buttons. Loads of input channel bleed. Noisy phono stage. Dull top end. Cramped inputs/outputs on the back. Lots of stuff crammed into a little box is going to have issues. I recommend trying before buying.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Why would anyone get an SL-1200 GR when most people do fine with an LP120?

9. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Plenty of people will probably read that as "not ear-bleeding bright, good":)

10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Maybe you got a bad unit? The tactile feel of buttons is obviously a personal thing (and I agree…I love great controls), but the sound quality of the one I heard (albeit with all digital inputs) was absurd. It embarrassed an Integrated we A-B listened to, a unit that was literally 5X the cost of the Rega.

bhazen, Freedom Rider, ls35a and 2 others like this.
  11. Freedom Rider

Did you notice any buzz / hum with this amp? Seen some reviews mention that.

bever70 likes this.
  12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Lol, so another buzzer/hummer like the brio?!

13. Freedom Rider

I dunno, don't have it yet...could be a unit to unit issue.
    Otherwise seems like a cool little amp.

14. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine's dead quiet.

Art K, bhazen and Freedom Rider like this.
  15. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

Happy to see the rega io is a class a-b design and not a stupid class d in a fancy case like many other "high-end" brands.

class ab
    big toroidal transformer
    alps pot

seem very decent for the asking price indeed. how does the IO compares to the previous Rega amps?

ls35a likes this.
  16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Are there tone controls?

17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

You did hear me say 'REGA', right?

alanb, Art K and bhazen like this.
  18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

So no, then? I have far less fascination with Rega than most here. It was a simple question.

19. Swingburn

Swingburn Forum Resident

It could have been a bad unit. Bought it "Open Box" to save a few bucks. Probably a bad idea because now I have a bias against Rega.

The other strange thing about Rega is... many people say their gear sound great, but they always use words like "fun" or "engaging" or "rhythmic"... but I never hear technical explanations of why Rega sounds that way. How do I listen for it? Is it a certain EQ? Are there little Rega fairies inside the gear who bless it with magic?

csgreene and Drew769 like this.
  20. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

They are solid. If you like that you should wait a bit and try the Brio. Even much better is using a Rega deck with either. Rega is one of the most consistent brands in HiFi. Solid pros work there.

21. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

What makes you classify the IO toroidal transformer as "big"? Just asking.

22. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I have owned three Rega amps. They were all fantastic but they really do sing with vinyl and with a Rega turntable in particular. I think their founder said in an interview they are voiced with vinyl as the source and it shows. Although they are excellent for digital sources too.

23. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Why on earth should they have tone controls, its no longer the 60's

Ragged Glory, ls35a and Art K like this.
  24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Pretty ignorant comment.

25. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

It’s a small amp, the transformer therefore looks kinda big when you see this pic. Only 30w, so proportionately it might be large.

pic didn’t show up, there it is[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.