Rega mm mk3 phono stage.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Is it the LP110 V2?

I don't know about the Brio, but I have a Fono Mk3 which I use for my Technics SL1210 MK2. I home demo'd the Moon LP110 v2 when I was looking for something better for my then SL1200G. The Moon definitely is a step up from the Fono Mk3, and more versatile. I also tried an Arcam Rphono. The Moon was the best of them, but I decided I needed a further step up to do the 1200G justice, and ended up with a Project RS. If you can get the Moon for same as the Rega I would go for it if it is a V2. If it's a V1, then no idea how they compare.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  2. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

It was a v2, but sadly was sold before I had made up my mind. Ordered the Fono from Amazon which should show up this week. Easy to return of it isn't a worthwhile upgrade.

3. KevinMathias

KevinMathias Member

Hi I have a Rega P2 with Rega IO Pre-Amp and an Ortofon 2M Bronze cart. Would anyone recommend the Rega MM FONO stage to improve the performance of the cart?

Dan Steele likes this.
  4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have run the 2M Bronze with the Rega Fono, and it was a really good pairing.

5. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I have the Bronze and just got the Fono. Great match, at least to my ears. I found the Bronze a bit hard sounding and the fono smoothed it right out. Perhaps that isn't neutral sound, but it's the sound for me :agree:

Dan Steele and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. KevinMathias

KevinMathias Member

Noel Patterson and Echoes Myron thank you very much for your comments. I am going to buy the Fono stage shortly but have to say the 2M Bronze sounds good as it is!

7. Carl Griffin

Carl Griffin Member

Hi guys, does anyone run a Nagaoka mp150 cartridge with the fono mk3?
    What are your impressions.
    Seen a few positive reviews of the Schiit Nagaoka combo. Whick is best.
    I have Rega 3
    Marantz P7000N
    Q acoustics concept 40s
    In my current line up.

Dan Steele and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. bokko

bokko Member

Personally did not like the moon 110lp v2. Found it noisy like an old vhs tape. When I contacted Moon they seemed uninterested in helping me.
    Sold it to someone who has an older noisier system.
    It did have a nice detailed sound but when you turned it up much noise.
    Using P6, Rega Fono mk3 with upgraded PS. Goldring 2500. As a point of reference there is no noise added by Fono

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. Rolli666

Rolli666 Member

anyone get noise when they turn up their Fono mk 3 to reference levels?

10. Francois

Francois Forum Resident

There's a bit of noise on mine at very high level, but way under the noise floor of the vinyl. What helped the most was to properly ground my Rega arm, added a ground on the RP6 TT-PSU and connected both to the Fono. At normal listening level I can't hear anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.