Rega p1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by StuTube, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuTube

StuTube Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello I'm new to this forum and nice to be here

I was just wondering what the general opinion of the rega p1 is around here
    At the moment i just have a digital system
    Pc running jriver with redbook and hi res flacs
    Pioneer A-10 Integrated Amplifier
    Q accoustic 2020i speakers
    But thinking about getting into vinyl inherited my late mothers collection and my own collection from my past

Thank you for any help

Stewart

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

The Rega line is great for easy plug and play and expert build quality. Its not the brand that mixes best with other brands but many here consider their entry level tables to be among the best for the price.
    Do you have some more details for us however? What kind of listener you are in regards to the hobby, do you like a hands on or off approach and are you adamant about getting a good and clean sound?
    Have you also considered vintage options? You can still go with Rega even then and personally I would prefer it because the older RP1 models have adjustable anti skating unlike the new P1. Plus you save some money.

Welcome to the forum ;^)

StuTube likes this.
  3. StuTube

Hi thanks for the welcome
    The set anti skate is one of the issues i have as it does restrict my cartridge choices it might be worth looking at the rp1 model if that has manual anti skate are the pro-Ject tables with the strange dangling anti sk
    ate adjustable only used to a dial in the old days

4. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I purchased the 2016 Rega Planar 1 in early 2017. It was a total piece of crap. I ended up just tossing it in the trash. It sounded horrible, the motor made noise and the auto-biasing never seemed to work properly. I wasted money on things like machined sub-platter and upgraded belt but nothing helped it. I found SHF forums in my quest to try and resolve the issues with the P1.

timind likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Since you're in the UK, I would say it's a bargain. Outside of the UK, I think it's a better buy to go with the Planar 2. In the UK the Planar 2 is twice the price of the Planar 1, so the upgrade is a big step upwards in price. So it's more than competitive with Pro-ject offering priced similarly. Actually, I recommend going with a vintage P3/RP3 over the Planar 2 regardless.

There is a hack to adjust the anti-skate.
    Rega RB-110 anti-skating (bias) adjustment

StuTube likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Damn, well Im sorry for your bad experience but this seems like an outlier to me. Faulty unit perhaps.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  7. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

There are actually quite a few threads about Rega P1 issues. It may have been an outlier but it was the second one. The first one had a sever anti-skate problem where the arm would get stuck about 3/4's of the way through most albums. The dealer replaced it immediately. I shoul d have just returned and not asked for a replacement. I now have an Audio Technica AT-LP7 and love it. It is like night and day compared to the P1.

8. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’ve had a P1 for many years. Very satisfied. Zero issues and sounds very nice.

CCrider92, trd and StuTube like this.
  9. Leonthepro

Ive had my RP1 for a few years now and while I cant say its perfect for me personally its a great starter table, cant think of a better one for the price really. I just like my hobby more hands on so Ill be moving up to an SL1200 someday.

CCrider92, Vinny123 and StuTube like this.
  10. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Very nice starter tt. I bought it over ten years ago. Just upgraded to an OM10 stylus which is a decent improvement. Just recently started to buy new vinyl. I’m afraid that I’m on the slippery slope now.

trd likes this.
  11. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

IMHO, you'll be disappointed if you're used to hi-res digital. I'd look for a gently used RP3/P3-2000 with a nice cartridge. Given that you're in the UK, that shouldn't be a problem.

jeff

Gso-Rob, Fishoutofwater, trd and 2 others like this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

As a Rega owner I would not go lower than a P3. Save up.

13. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I agree with vinylkid58 and Echoes Myron on not starting with a P1. The P3/RP3 would be a much better place to start. I have a RP3 in my living room system and the new P6/Ania/Fono PSU in my reference system in my basement. They are very nice TT and worth the money IMO.

14. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Planar 1 and 2 seem more like 'lifestyle' products. Planar 3 is where Rega starts to get serious, sonically-speaking.

And at least you're in the UK, where Rega's pricing is better. Would definitely save up for a new 3, or go recent-model used.

15. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I had a P1 for a couple years in my office system and it was perfect for my needs. Just a no thrills, sounds good no issue deck to spin vinyl. For the money it was great.

16. trd

trd Forum Resident

Nailed it

I liked mine just fine until I upgraded my speakers and digital front end. Now it hardly gets used and I’m eyeing a significant ($3k table/arm budget) upgrade

That said, I’ll probably keep it for a future office system or the like

17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The P2 is a step up, but look instead for a nice used or ex demo Planar 3, even if it means a wait.

18. Leonthepro

No one is saying the P3 isnt better than a P1. But budgets cant be swayed to such degrees on a whim.
    And yes a budget hasnt been set, but do you see the rest of his system? No point in going 60% spending on the table alone Id say.

Ken Clark likes this.
  19. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

There's used, demo/open box, etc.

20. Leonthepro

Well yes, but as a new user, even with previous experience Id say he would want something used that has no faults in it. Those great condition P3s still go up in price from what Ive seen.

21. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

I bought one as a starter when I got back into vinyl a few years ago. The only issue I had was a little wow and flutter here and there. But, after about a year, my dealer had an offer which allowed me to trade up to the RP3 for basically half price.

Since then, using ebay, I've gradually added the PSU and the MM Mk2 preamp for not a huge outlay, but with a big improvement in SQ. Sounds really fine. Currently just using the stock Carbon cartridge after failed experiments with more expensive ones that invited in all the pops and crackles. Maybe I'll go to the Exact one day, but I'm in no hurry.

(I should specify that I'm referring to the old style RP1 and 3.)

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  22. StuTube

Certainly not going to rush into anything I'm in no hurry i can get by with my digital only system at the moment and i want to make sure i make the right choice, thank you everyone for your advise so far much appreciated

Aftermath and Leonthepro like this.
  23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've had my p1 for coming up on 15 years and very remain satisfied - it's my last stop for a turntable though I also run a Technics 12ooMK with a variety of carts. I much prefer the Rega. I do get confused on the labeling of the Rega tables > mine was labeled the p1 back in the day. about 2004. Is Rega now back to the p1 label for the newest edition?

Echoes Myron and StuTube like this.
  24. Leonthepro

Yes they are. The Planar series.

CCrider92 and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yep it is back to Planar name for their newest tables.

Nothing wrong with a P1 actually. I can see how one could be content with it.

An RP1 was the table that started my true audiophile journey. I put a 2M Bronze on it and Groovetracer sub and platter, and it sounded sweet! But as I continued to upgrade the rest of my system, I started to hear the limitatations of the table. So I graduated to an RP6 (I actually own two now) and eventually to the RP10. They are worlds away from the P1.

Anyway, having gone up the Rega range, that is why I recommend the 3 for someone who is thinking about the 1 or 2. The P3 has a very capable tonearm and can keep up as other components are upgraded. And it is not too much more expensive.

There is also an upgrade path for the 3 (namely replacing the subplatter), but at that point anyone planning to buy a P3 with the intention of upgrading parts should just go to the P6 and be done with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.