Rega P3 (Ania) vs Clearaudio Concept

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ben_pit, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_pit

Ben_pit Active Member Thread Starter

I’ve never owned a turntable but being a musician and composer I think it may be a good time to invest. There are so many ways to listen and appreciate music today i.e.: from SACD, CD to streaming music etc... I see the turntable another option to appreciate music in my living room. I am definitely not looking at purchasing thousands of LPs but more about quality and selecting specific recordings over time.

Right now I am considering either the Rega P3 and not the P6 simply because the former comes in white. What I may end up doing is change the cartridge to Ania (higher end cartridge) then get a phono pre-amp. On the other hand I am also considering Clearaudio Concept from Germany (they’ve a package which includes the platter, Tonearm and Concept MC cartridge), then purchase a nano phono pre-amp separately. Interesting to note you need to purchase an additional RCA cable from the phono pre-amp to your Receiver. It turns out the cable from Clearaudio cost 1000 SGD... I think I’ll get a cheaper cable... are there other cheaper alternatives/brands I could consider?

As I’ve read in a similar thread on this forum, they’re both good choices so end of the day I think it’s about personal choice and a connection with that product? One brand is British and the other German, both reputable brands.

What are your thoughts about these 2 options?

Thanks, newbie here!

2. Listen to both. Let your ears do all the hard work.

vinylontubes and Ben_pit like this.
  3. Ben_pit

Thanks will do!

4. Let us know which one you choose

Ben_pit likes this.
  5. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Do consider if you're going to often switch between 33.3/45 then the manual speed change on the P3 (lifting the platter and changing the belt) does IMO turn out to be a pain. In which case the TTPSU is an option.

Otherwise both solid tables and yes best to listen if possible.

Also consider which is best supported locally lest any issues.

displayname and clercqie like this.
  6. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Furthermore, if you suspect to be upgrading the P3 with a TTPSU, consider just saving up for the P6 anyway which includes the PSU and other upgrades for the P3. This will save you some cash in the long run and help with reducing upgrade fever.

bluesaddict, SandAndGlass and Ben_pit like this.
  7. Ben_pit

Thanks for the advice. I understand most albums run at 33 1/3 and to be honest what I like about the Rega is it looks minimalist, clean and simple. The speed control is great on the Clearaudio but it adds another component. Both of these products are supported locally. I am still debating whether I really really need a new toy in my home. Cheers!

8. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

If you can't hear both tables in the same room with the same system and the same cartridge placed perfectly in each arm a comparison has no meaning.
    The Rega is classic and has many fans. It has a good arm. Rega makes more expensive/advanced versions of this arm for their upper models and others brands like Audiomods take the basic Rega arm and elevate it to another level.

Clearaudio is better built, it's the table I would choose between these two. I have no experience with the cart it's on the table, if possible I would skip the cartridge based on my experience with past Clearaudio carts.

Another similarly priced table is the Technics SL 1200GR.

Pay attention to the phono stage you will use, the cartridge and the phono stage affect the sound a lot.

IMO.

Ben_pit and Fishoutofwater like this.
  9. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Both are good tables and if it were me I'd pick the one I liked using and looking at the most.

10. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Rega NEEDS t0 make the P6 in white.

SandAndGlass and Ben_pit like this.
  11. Ben_pit

Thanks useful information. As for listening to both tables in the same room with the same system that’s not going to happen... Singapore is a very small tiny country compared to US and Europe.
    On the Rega I believe their phono is called Fono MC from Rega and Clearaudio has something called Nano phono stage which has the option to customize the ohms etc... also I understand you can upgrade the power supply to Linear Power which enhances and improves the sound (something new I learnt today).
    I feel the Clearaudio is slightly more expensive but you get what you pay for. I was flabbergasted when the sales rep said you need to purchase a pair of RCA cable to connect from phono pre-amp to Receiver for 1000 SGD (Clearaudio brand), I said no thanks I’ll get my own cable...
    I haven’t decided yet between the Rega and Clearaudio, there’s still time and want to make sure I choose the right table. Cheers!

12. Ben_pit

I agree this makes sense!

13. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

1,000 SGD for the cable? If my conversion is correct that's around $1,400 USD, or close to what the whole table costs! A very decent cable can be purchased for $100-$200 where you wouldn't need to upgrade. You get what you pay for, but no need to go crazy at that level.

Ben_pit likes this.
  14. Ben_pit

I decided to go for the Clearaudio Concept MC, what a stunning piece of art, just blown away and I am just starting to play some records... the sound will open up eventually, highly recommended.

Morbius, pavi, Dan Steele and 4 others like this.
  15. enjoy and keep us posted

16. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Fabulous! I have had a Concept for nearly 10 years now-- got it right when they came out. Once the sub-platter was replaced by ClearAudio (the very early versions had a composite sub-platter that would chip), it was clear sailing and no troubles. While I am in the process of moving to a new TT, I have no regrets over the Concept. It is a table that has acquitted itself through many upgrades of associated equipment.

Plus, when you do end up with a few 45 rpm 12" pressings, the experience will be much more pleasant with a speed control dial!

17. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Hi. I’m a newbie here - first post. I’ve read lots and lots of these forums for months now - and sometimes my head spins (pun intended).

So Ben_pit, after two months now do you still feel the same about the Concept? I’m in the same boat and want to buy - but in Hong Kong with even smaller flats and limited choices as far as dealers allowing for letting buyers listen and comparing gear (unless you go to dedicated showrooms which are much more expensive).

So I’ll will throw myself to the lions with this question to all. My choices are similar to the OP, and buying now I get some good deals as one shop is offering great deals on the Rega line and another place a great deal on the Clearaudio line:

1) I can get a Rega P3 with Elys for about 680 US
    2) or Rega P3 and upgrade to Exact cartridge - for additional 300 US
    3) P6 with Ania for about 1,600

All great deals I think. I had given up on Clearaudio last year because I was told there was no distributor in HK. But then the line suddenly popped up a few weeks ago, and so I’m keen (I looked at them when I was in the US last year). And thus:
    4) Clearaudio Concept MM for 1,390 US
    5) Clearaudio Concept MC for 1,830 US

I’m leaning toward option 2 - running whatever I get through a Puffin Phono DSP and an old Denon AVS (for now at least). I also have a NAD amp with PSB floor speakers in another room, and could hook up the TT through that, but space is a serious issue. But I love the reviews and looks of the Concept... also I have a lot of old vinyl that I brought back from the US.

Suggestions, advice and criticism is welcome. I’m here to learn. Thanks all.

Cheers
    HKPenguin

Ben_pit likes this.
  18. All i will say is avoid the Elyse like the plague!! It nearly made me give up on LPs. I think many on here will agree with me. The P6 with the Exact is a good option. All the very best

HKPenguin likes this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have not heard the Ania yet but the Exact is an awesome cart. Cant go wrong there.

Morbius, HBJ, HKPenguin and 1 other person like this.
  20. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

I got to listen to both the P3 and P6 last week, but of course on really high end gear, so both sounded great (to me). The P6 easily had more detail, but they didn't have the Exact hooked up which I could try.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  21. Ben_pit

All I can say is listen to the Rega and Concept MC and trust your ears. These are great brands so choosing either one of these is about what you prefer. For me the Concept MC just blew me away, from the built-in quality (it is German after all), to lowering the arm onto the vinyl, choosing the speed... just felt like a premium product over the Rega. Now, when listening to loud music, the wife never complaints so it shows the warm sound of analog is just incredible and draws people in. Cheers!

HKPenguin and cut-out like this.
  22. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I had a similar experience with the Elys about five years ago. What a piece of garbage! I replaced it with the Ortofon Bronze and was able to enjoy vinyl again. BTW, the Elys that came with my P3 back in 2004 sounded fine. It must have been an earlier version.

HKPenguin likes this.
  23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If you can afford it, either P6/Ania or P6/Exact.

HKPenguin likes this.
  24. I tried 2 Elyse and i hated both. I am not the kind of person who "hates" bar the Elyse. Love my current cart and it is a real cheapy xx

HKPenguin likes this.
  25. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I got the Clearaudio Concept with MM cart. I regret it that I didn't just plum for the namesake MC Cart instead, the mm is an ok cart but it's not the last word in mm carts and I plan on changing it. So basically, if you get the Concept with table, and it's a fantastic table (I was able to listen to it and the P3 which had justjust released) just get the MC if you have a phono stage that can do LOMC or a better MM.

HKPenguin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.