Rega P6 Neo PSU Problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by phantasmagoria, Jul 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child Thread Starter

I finally got around to upgrading my turntable and purchased a Rega Planar 6 yesterday. Got it home and setup and all was working well. However, after a couple of hours of use, I switched it off and when I went back to switch on a little later, the Neo PSU was completely dead. I checked the manual and it states to use a Rega PS1 24v 350ma plug. The plug I received with the unit is a Rega PS2 24v 100ma plug. The P6 was an ex-display model, so I assume the store have put the wrong plug into the box.

I’m going to return to the store tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any insight on whether the wrong plug could cause the problem described (but why would it have worked for a couple of hours if that was the case?) and whether it would have done any permanent damage to the PSU?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The wrong wall wart power supply may have run too hot and so killed itself. Unlikely the PSU was damaged. But the most common trouble is operator error. Be sure the connectors are fully seated. The lower current supplies are for the turntable motors.
    -Bill

phantasmagoria likes this.
  3. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child Thread Starter

Thanks Bill. Yeah, my first instinct was that I must be doing something stupid, but I've checked and re-checked connections - I've torn it all down and set it back up again, but the PSU isn't responding at all, and I don't have another 24V supply to check it with. The store's closed today but I'll take it back tomorrow and hopefully find out what's gone wrong. Frustrating as I was so looking forward to spending a Sunday with my new P6!

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If it doesn't do anything, that power supply they errantly gave you must be toast.
    -Bill

phantasmagoria likes this.
  5. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

While a different issue, thought I would add to the PSU Neo problem list. I have a new Planar 8 and 24 hours in suddenly the platter would be sluggish to start and would come to a grinding halt after about 2 minutes of play time. On the phone with Music Direct and it took a bit of communication amongst tech staff, but simply switching between 33 and 45 several times appears to have resolved the issue. They suggested I just let the table run for 48 hours and report back. Strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.