Rega P8 vs VPI Super Prime Scout (Upscale Audio Edition) vs ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beowulf, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently have a Rega RP6 with an Exact cartridge and I think the honeymoon with this table was short lived … even though I like listening to vinyl quite a bit I just never really got into it with this table like I did with my old Technics deck I had back in the 80's/90's. I don't know a lot of audiophile terms, but maybe the RP6 is not resolving or lush enough for my tastes. So I'm not sure if moving up the ladder to a Rega P8 is better than just trying a table from a different manufacturer.

Now that we know the Rega P8 with the Apheta 2 cartridge is @ $4,295.00 and in comparison Upscale Audio has a VPI Super Prime Scout with a Kiseki Blue cartridge @ $4,399.00. So just a hundred dollars difference really, but the platter and tone arm of the VPI look to be substantial in comparison to the Rega.

There's also the PolyTable SUPER 12 @ $3295.00 (sans cart) or Technics SL-1200G @ $3999.00 (sans cart). Is there anything else out there in that price range of under $5000 (that includes a cart) worth auditioning?

insoc123 likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sounds like Rega isn't for you. Why not go for the new Technics - since you liked your old one.

Seems like though you should get really good sound out of your Rega - not to mention (in my opinion) cartridges have quite a bit to do with the overall sound etc.

I love both my Technics and my VPI Classic - the technics is boxed up in my attic - I could easily live with either one - no complaints in the resolving dept.

beowulf and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I've had my eye on that Upscale Audio VPI Super Prime Scout since they released that white version. If I had the cash and was looking for a table I'd pick that for no other reason then I have a VPI Scout SE and love it.

beowulf, displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If you're considering the Planar 8 with the Apetha, you should get the cartridge first along with an MC phono stage. I just seems silly to dump the RP6 without trying a better cartridge. I would get subplatter upgrade, to get the most out the cartridge.

5. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Well the Apheta 2 will be more resolving than the Exact by a lot... thats based off my comparison of P7/Exact to my current P9 Apheta 1. The Apheta 1 is not lush its striking and imediate and ive heard the Apheta 2 on an RP10 with 15k Martin Logans and while not lush it is a bit fuller sounding while retaining most of the originals high end performance.

If i were you i would demo a new P6/Ania and if you didnt like it then Rega is not for you. If you did like it sell the RP6 and get the new P6 IMO and experience adding after market bits n pieces is a waste of money unless you just keep it to the subplatter and dont upgrade your table for 5 years.

The Exact is actually quite a lush sounding cart especially with nice tube amps but i can see how one could think with very neutral amps it might be a bit boring and uninvolving.

insoc123, beowulf and KT88 like this.
  6. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Ohh i see you have tube amps and a brio r... well i personally really liked the exact on my P7 with Consonance Cyber 800 el34 tube amps and i also liked it on my old P5 with GT subplatter and Rega Mira 3 integrated... so personal tastes aside maybe Rega isnt for you.

beowulf likes this.
  7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The Prime Scout deal at Upscale is very nice but after 4 1/2 years with the excellent RP3 the Planar8/Apheta 2 I have on pre-order with Music Direct was a no brainer for me especially with the $600 trade in offer they gave me in writing I think I'm doing pretty well. With the Aria I bought on sale a few weeks ago (excellent with the RP3/Exact by the way) I'll continue the Rega promise of gorgeous sound.

beowulf and Marshall_SLX like this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Seems like you already know the answer - try and find a 1200G or, for half the price or even less, the GR. Even though many in the modern audiophile world don't seem to like the old Technics linear trackers, I've really enjoyed what I hear from my SL-QL1 and have for over three decades now (running an AT450NE these days). I decided to buy a new table for my downstairs system (listed in profile) and ended up finding a good deal on the 1210GR. The G is too over the top $-wise for me but the GR sells for today what the SL-QL1 sold for in 1982 (adjusted for inflation). I know the Regas, Clearaudios, VPIs, etc. get a lot of love and wouldn't if they weren't producing something satisfying to the bulk of their customers but, dang, for what they offer, they're expensive. I'm a fan of the direct drive, QL type of table. Even my old Denon DP-23F is a solid performer with the Marantz PM5005 and NHT SuperOne speakers. Belt drives just aren't for me but I can't spend in the league that some others can and it seems to me you've gotta spend at least twice the cost of a GR to get something comparable. Others who know more may disagree. My comments are based on observations of what others say save for my opinions on direct drive tables.

9. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

I would choose the Technics. Not that I don't prefer the G model but it's better to take the GR and spent the rest on a quality low output MC cartridge and a good phono stage.

10. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

That VPI/Kiseki deal sounds pretty nice. :)

Far as alternatives go, guess I wouldn't get another Rega since you didn't like the RP6... you just may not be a lover of the 'Rega sound'.

Also not sure if the $4000 Technics 1200G is the best idea, considering that a Technics executive or engineer is quoted somewhere saying that the 1200GR ($1700) is "85 percent of a 1200G” Diminishing returns hit? Seems so.

So in your price range ($5K w/cart), if it were me, I'd want to check out the Michell Gyro SE and the Linn LP12 Magik, in addition to VPI/Kiseki deal.

And the VPI Prime as well, just to see if the 'Super' Prime Scout can really truly stack up to it. You're from SoCal, so you can go to Upscale and actually hear a Super Prime Scout vs a Prime, I'd think.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  11. macster

macster Forum Resident

I think that you are in San Diego, check out the VPI at Stereo Unlimited (I think that there are some more VPI dealers here as well) and there is a Rega dealer here also. Go, and most of listen to one, that's too much money (for me) to be taking a chance. Finally, if you get the Technics go for the G since this is going to be your main table for awhile.

M~

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  12. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

P8 is getting incredible reviews coming in. Jason Kennedy who is an RP10 user, said the P8 was almost as good as the 10 and it actually bettered it in some areas. The RP6 was a hotrod RP3, all of the foam plinth models are completely different animals. I would think that the P8 might be hard to beat....

That being said, that Kiseki cartridge is an attention getter. I would love to hear it on the P8. That is going to be a mid 5k setup though. Actually, I would love to OWN a P8/Purple Heart setup. Being poor sucks.

beowulf likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I would choose the Technics 1200G without even thinking about it.
    There is nothing that can get close to the 1200G in terms of speed stability, transparency, and easiness of use in this price range.

beowulf and Drewan77 like this.
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I could see making a change to the other proposed turntables, but I personally wouldn’t give up on the Rega turntable without trying a non-Rega cartridge. And by non-Rega I mean Dynavector.

beowulf, sturgus, KT88 and 1 other person like this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Ditto. I had a $1000 DV on my RP6 and it was a great investment, even after moving on from the old RP6 model as I still have the DV cart. Move that to a new Planar 8 whenever you like and it's not only excellent but you'll likely find more painlessly scalable.
    -Bill

16. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

This.

I remember when I first bought my Rega P3-24 some years back, I never read a review that suggested keeping the Rega cart. I know they sell packages and combo deals, but a modded Rega with some Groovetracer upgrades (subplatter, Delrin platter) or other recommended upgrades (feet?) and a best-buy cart that punches above its weight should get you wherever you need to go without breaking the bank. That RP6 is already 'modded' (or a 'hotrod', as was mentioned), try a Dynavector 10x5 or 20X2 and that thing will outperform what you have now by quite a bit I think. People also love the Lyra Delos at $2000 (not sure how you feel about that with the RB330 tonearm, some would say it is a better match with the RB880 on the better tables).

Just my 2 cents, others' mileage may vary!

beowulf likes this.
  17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

A friend just purchased the VPI from Upscale. As he pointed out, it's 90% of a Prime for less than 75% of the money.

Also he replaced a 2016 P3 with a Groovetracer subplatter and Delryn platter. He said the Rega seems like a toy in comparison.

If I wasn't happy with my turntable, I'd buy the VPI myself, and I'm a former multiple Rega owner.

beowulf and displayname like this.
  18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I agree with this as well. You CANNOT give up an a nice turntable after only using a single cart - unless I'm misunderstanding the OP's post.

19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The Rega people are gonna tell you to get another Rega.
    The VPI guys are gonna tell you to get the VPI.
    The Technics fans are gonna tell you to get the Technics.

The members telling you to go and listen to / bring home and demo every table you can possibly get your hands on are giving you the best advice.

beowulf, ThorensSme, macster and 6 others like this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'm both a Technics and VPI fanboy - I said stay with it. I'd love to give a Rega a shot - I just don't need any more turntables.

21. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I'd buy a used Crosley and spend the rest on vinyl, man. :bdance:

Not really, but I figured I'd add it before it inevitably entered this thread.

beowulf and macster like this.
  22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Crosley record wrecker is the bane of record collectors everywhere. I kid you not, I have hipsters come in my shop and spend $100 on new vinyl and then when I ask them what they are playing it on... It boggles my mind to think that someone would ruin their investment in recordings that way, having less in the initial equipment than in the medium. Surely at some point one's expenditures on vinyl records should eclipse that of the "record player", but initially!... It gives me shivers just thinking about it.
    -Bill

23. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Some are proud they spend their money on music, not equipment. They should stick to their iPhones and leave the good stuff for me. :D

beowulf and KT88 like this.
  24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I would try a new cart, one that you can move up to your next table.

I have not heard the 8 but owning both the RP6 w Exact and RP10 w Alpheta 2, the 10 is several leagues above. I would hazard to guess the 8 gets you very close and would be a highly significant upgrade from the RP6.

beowulf, SandAndGlass and KT88 like this.
  25. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

It makes sense to bring a table home and audition it with the cartridge you have or one you'll have decided to buy. Audition a table (even with your cartridge) in the dealers room with a different system is pointless.

HiFi Guy and beowulf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.