Rega Planar 10 on its way here!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Aug 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Congrats !
    I`m really enjoying my P10/Alpheta3 combo...
    I had a tweaked up, hot rodded Rega p5 that I put together that when finally done, the only thing 'Rega' about it was the Cherry wood plinth and the NEO power supply.
    It sounded great, so much so, that I was proudly nodding my head in approval as to just how well it did up against the P10.

BUT...It`s all the tiny nuances/tone/definition etc... that makes a big BIG difference and the P10 delivers !
    Now the Hot Rod P5 did have a better cartridge on it though (ZYX Airy 3) but I have it sitting here unopened after a complete rebuild from VAS with a real Namiki/Microridge combo on it.
    That might change things in the P10`s favor but....that will be way down the road for now.

Enjoy that P10

james, Echoes Myron and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

In light of this, is it a good mathematical/compliance match after all or not? o_O

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear, the compliance calculations are Chinese to me.

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

I think you’ll notice an improvement in toe-tapping factor. Congrats!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Whether the compliance is 10 or 15 won't effect the resonant frequency that much, I'm sure it's fine if it works OK on the VPI, it's a fairly low compliance cart so should work well with any medium mass arm. DV specifies 10cu for the compliance, but the 10Hz value is probably a little higher than that for the resonance calculation, maybe a little under 15cu based on reviews, so maybe 9-10 Hz resonance on the Rega.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I don’t think you’ll need the shim. I’ve installed the DVXX2 MKII on the RB330, RB880 and RB3000. No improvement with shim, superb sound without the shim. Basically, there’s no substantive difference in cartridge height between the Apheta 2/3 and the Dynavector DVXX2 or XV1 when the cartridges are actually counterbalance and resting in the groove of an LP. The slight relative physical difference amounts to so little change in SRA and VTA that it’s almost unmeasurable electrically and fundamentally inaudible in my experience.

The Rega RP10 a remarkable turntable and tonearm - truly reference-level. The Dynavector DVXX2 MKII is a major home run for Dynavector. It’s a truly wonderful cartridge.

I’ve fed the DVXX2 MKII into a wide variety of phono preamps. I hope you’ve got a really good one, because each time I thought the cartridge couldn’t sound any better, I found another even more expensive phono stage to assess and got still better sound.

popol_vuh, Plinko, KT88 and 11 others like this.
  6. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I also am using no shims on my P8. EMT JSD cartridge, sound is amazing. I agree with @Agitater you may not need them…

Gism300B, Plinko, jusbe and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Ah....good point!

Davey likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

I bought the P10; not RP10 but I'm assuming that was a typo. :D

It's in my profile. Look up the Zesto Andros II. Think I'll be OK. :cool:

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the DV XX2 is 4.7mm taller than the typical 14mm Rega cartridge. even if it sounded ok, that is still 4.7mm tail down from level, to me this is severe. i would not run it like this or feel confident it was optimized. it may also wear the stylus unevenly.

dynavector dvxx2 drawing - Google Search

AKA-Chuck G and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Exactly. My experience has been tail up on this cart = much better more open sound. I'm confident the shims will make a noticeable difference.

avanti1960 likes this.
  11. ThorensSme

Rega’s own LOMCs are 16mm in height. My EMT is 18mm and it is almost dead level…

Davey likes this.
  12. avanti1960

are you sure? has it been measured or documented?
    so if i bought a P6, is the tonearm set at 14mm for the exact cartridge or 16mm for the ania?

13. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Keep a lid on it when not in use. Looks like a bitch to clean.

14. ThorensSme

Yes, confirmed with distributor. I’ve handled and installed both Rega’s MM & MC cartridges, they are not the same height.

Echoes Myron and cut-out like this.
  15. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Both RP10 and P10. And your phono preamp should work brilliantly with the DVXX2 MKII.

16. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Congrats! I have a P10. Got it with the Aphelion 2 cart. I love it!

17. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

It's the only Rega table I like. Dead on accurate speed with minimal wow/flutter and no ringing (in my room).

18. Strat-Mangler

It was designed and calibrated with that cart and besides; any 5K USD phono preamp which wouldn't work great with that cart should be retired and removed from the market. :D

bever70 and Agitater like this.
  19. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Ha! I wonder who that was.......;)

Can't wait for you to hear it; I hope didn't steer you wrong. You certainly have an excellent track record giving me suggestions!

20. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Glad you're enjoying the P10 with the Apheta. I *almost* went for the Aphelion....but after talking it over with my local dealer, decided to stay with the Kiseki PH. The combination is quite lovely.

21. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

I had a P10 early 2020 and compared it to a Technics 1200G w/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. Obviously not apples vs. apples but I preferred the P10 w/Apheta 3. It was simply more musical, ever so slightly, and it really had my toes tapping. That's my experience, please direct drive fans and Rega non-sayers don't slay me :D.

I down sized due to job concerns but things are better and I am back to a P8 w/Apheta 3. My next upgrade is trading in the P8 for a P10. I hope you enjoy!

popol_vuh, Plinko, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  22. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

I don't think you will (or should) get slayed. What you like better is what you like, Period. I owned a SL-1200 MKII (back before they stopped producing them) and it is a wonderful turntable. In fact, my younger brother uses it still!

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

This is correct. I just measured my Exact and Apheta 2. The Exact is 14 mm and the Apheta is 16 mm tall.

ThorensSme and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think what matters most is the compressed height of a cartridge. It is the static VTF tensioning the cantilever that creates useful VTA and SRA measurements. Because cantilevers have different lengths, suspensions and working angles under VTF load, height measurement should be done in that mode. Of course there are cart height differences nonetheless, but they're often smaller and less critical and often unimportant with respect to the configuration of a fixed-VTA arm. Extreme differences have to be addressed with a shim for Rega arms, no doubt, but IME not with the DVXX2.

popol_vuh, Plinko, jonwoody and 4 others like this.
  25. avanti1960

So if you order a Planar 6, is the tonearm set for an Exact MM or the Ania MC? No offense to you but this (Rega) is f'd up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.