Rega Planar 10 on its way here!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Aug 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Setting up a particular turntable / arm / cartridge in one room does not mean those settings will be optimal with a different example, even before personal preferences come into play.

Far from it, the idea about adjusting the VTA for individual records and never wanting to play anything with a warp is totally alien to anyone I know and myself. I'm suggesting that several people couldn't consistently tell if the arm was slightly tail up / tail down.

Listening to records is a pleasure, not a chore!

PATB and trd like this.
  2. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

I moved off the RP10 to an LP12 assembled from pieces, which I prefer. But I’ve also owned lots of Rega over the years and the RP10 was the first I actually felt satisfied with.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Nicely played and congrats!! It will be interested to read your impressions about these two TT's with vastly different design approaches.

Strat-Mangler and Randoms like this.
  4. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

I had a Thorens 160 mostly original, bought a Rega 3 with exact cartridge, since everyone states it’s the best deal in the Rega line up, returned fairly quickly as I liked the Thorens better. Sent my Thorens out to make it a super 160 and pretty much update and change everything including drive, plinth and arm. Got it back, missed my original 160 with my Benz Ruby, updated with the same cartridge didn’t sound as dynamic. Went back turntable shopping, got a great deal on the P10 with trading in my now super 160. Kept my cartridge, used the P10 with Alpheta 3 for a bit then recently had them swap to my Benz Ruby. Immediately fell in love with the P10 after switching to the Benz, definitely an improvement from the Thorens even from what I remember of the original with the same cartridge. I personally like the Benz cartridge better then Rega cartridges. The P3 while a good player didn’t hold a candle to the vintage Thorens 160, though the 160 I had did require a decent amount of upkeep (spring adjusting) and care with placement, but had much better micro dynamics and cleaner subtleties that the P3 slammed through.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

yes, well said.

6. avanti1960

i like that look, cover and all, very sharp. i bet it will grow on you. nicer lookong than the typical layer cake cover.

trd and Phil Thien like this.
  7. avanti1960

nice. ever seen the soul lines tables? interesting mechanical tech.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

Yea, I'm mainly familiar with the Kubrick, there was a guy here in the Audiomods 6 thread showing his with the new arm (top picture below), pretty cool design, similar in some respects to the more svelte Thrax Yatrus below it, which is one of my high end direct drive dream tables I'd love to play with for an extended home demo :)

[​IMG]

9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

What, not a Technics??

Then it's crap.

No, just kidding :D congratulations on the purchase, I'd love to have one of those.

jonwoody, KT88, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  10. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

That era of Thorens is a good one. Those decks can sound pretty dang good when set up right. I used to have a TD 125, miss it sometimes mainly due to nostalgia.

SCM and Pkcpga like this.
  11. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

I know the feeling, been looking to see if I can pick up a 125 or super 160 with the right set up, tough to find not cannibalized.

12. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Do we know about when the Rega may land?

13. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Maybe check the OP ;)?!
    Thursday it is...

14. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

I have it on good authority that Strat-Mangler is enjoying the P10 :winkgrin:

That man works like crazy, but I'm sure once he gets a chance he will provide an in-depth review.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

They're certainly different flavors for sure. Too chaotic on the next week to continue testing and comparing but after that... :)

16. Strat-Mangler

Additionally, I'll mention that since I prefer to give a full account, I'll be waiting to install the shims before providing my thoughts. This actually might take a 2nd week as I am still waiting for the seller to ship them.

17. SCM

SCM Senior Member

If you don`t mind, I`d like to comment on just one area that I immediately picked up on while listening to my newly acquired P10 in the mean time.

The very first thing I noticed was that there`s absolutely no bass bloat at all, which allows more detail and nuance to come out that seemed buried a bit before now.
    Bloat may not be the best word but that`s what came to my mind first.
    The bass region has a lot of great tone...it just sounds more musical.
    It has heft though, no mistaking that at all !

That`s all I want to say...for now :righton:

John76, Dmann201, ThorensSme and 4 others like this.
  18. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

@SCM, definitely agree on the bass, good detail, however, do you find the sound to be pretty bright out of the box? I’m thinking it needs some break-in time. I hope it warms up the sound a bit.

Also, have an issue with ticking from the motor but it appears to be dissipating thankfully.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

:waiting:

bever70 likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

As per my previous post, it'll take a while to get the shims, install them, and make comparisons. In fact, the P10 doesn't use star screws but a different type and I'll need to get the appropriate tool. I mentioned 2 weeks so I have a week left. ;)

Echoes Myron, GordonM and richbdd01 like this.
  21. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Ringmat makes mats of different thicknesses to allow for VTA adjustment of static height arms like REGA. I would just adjust the VTA for a 200gm record and build up to that with the requisite mats for thinner LPs. Seems a lot easier than using a micrometer or other such devices but then I'm lazy and cheap.

Pkcpga and Agitater like this.
  22. padreken

padreken Senior Member

My P10 (with Apheta 3) has shipped and should arrive Friday!

Mr. Dean, Strat-Mangler, PATB and 4 others like this.
  23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just doing some stretching and limbering up in anticipation for the review in 2025 :winkgrin:

24. Strat-Mangler

Either get a time machine or wait a while as my reviews are much more detailed than most. Look at my previous ones to get an idea. ;)

25. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Yeah I like your reviews/notes, so take your time.

Strat-Mangler and Echoes Myron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.