Rega Planar 2 (2016) vs Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC: No Contest

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

I've had plenty of Rega's in for service and modification, I could easily own one if I thought they sounded good enough to use but they don't hold a candle to the AR's I've built. Same goes with Technics 1200's, repaired and modified some to the hilt, don't need to own one, built like a brick **** house and will last forever but don't come close to the AR's.

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

When I get my AR XB, can I get the jeweled bearings from you ? Are they easy for a clutz to install or are they too tiny ? I have only ever used a jeweler's screwdriver to adjust them, but I have never removed them. My comments about the AR XA and XB's pertain to the stock models. And please notice that I do not unjustly criticize the table. They certainly were a bargain back in the day for the measurable performance that they delivered. I wonder why you don't like any Rega. I like Thorens, AR, and Dual for vintage tables. For new tables, I like Rega, SOTA, and VPI. My selection is limited due to monetary constraints. In my opinion, there certainly is a difference in sound between sprung and unsprung tables. I like good examples of both.

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I just bought an AR 77-XB. :goodie::pineapple:

4. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Yes and Yes, PM me with any particulars.

PhxJohn likes this.
  5. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Really, I never had a problem with them.

6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I just bought an AR 77-XB about an hour or two ago.

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Ha! Who's excited?! ;)
    You should start another thread.
    -bill

8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

We should discuss the jeweled bearings if and when you want to. Thanks !!

9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I start so many. LOL. I bet the AR turntable subject has been beaten to death. I do have a question for you about the P6 vs. SOTA which should be interesting. I will thread it.

10. Daan

Daan Well-Known Member

About the discussion of the speed of the Rega Planar 2.
    I just checked the speed with the RPM app on my almost new RP2 and it runs at exactly 33.32 rpm which means it has a deviation of 0.03%, which of course is very very accurate.

KT88 and PhxJohn like this.
  11. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Just a little aside regarding later Rega models and "speed issues"....in an ideal world the ball bearing and sump will be pristine and correctly filled with the correct gauge lubricant. That given, the sub platter should be driven via the motor/pulley/belt at exactly the speed/speeds required. That can be easily checked by using a strobe disc or apps like Turntabulator. All is well? Seems so until you load the heavy platter, mat and chosen record and discover the table runs slow(or more commonly fast).I s there gunge on the sub platter, has the belt been stretched? A dose of isopropyl alcohol and a sprinkling of talc disproves that.....so what could be wrong? I am minded to think it is an inaccurate positioning of the motor: the motor on later Rega models is affixed to the underside of the plinth via "sticky" absorbent pads: there are no markings to enable easy alignment for anybody "upgrading" a motor or affecting a repair should the pad part company with the plinth: perhaps Rega have a template or tool to ensure correct placement of the motor during assembly, perhaps not: point of this long winded ramble is that unless the motor is correctly positioned the critical distance between the centre of the spindle and the pulley will be wrong: could that be the underlying issue behind the many reported instances of speed issues with Rega?

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  12. .gvp

.gvp New Member

The Planar 2 has a preset anti skate which is set at the factory for the Carbon cartridge. If you change to a different cartridge, Rega won't give any warranty support for any anti skate issues that happen as a result. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the unadjustable anti skate thing on this thread yet. It's the main thing putting me off getting a Rega.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

BS. No issues can happen as a result. If their mechanism doesn't work as designed, it's covered by warranty.
    -Bill

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rega vs Debut - review by 3rd party

15. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

There are too many reports to conclude that there is a a user error.

johnny q likes this.
  16. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Hard to qualify this review since they use different carts in each table. I'm sure the results would be a little closer with the same cartridge on the tables.

Of course no question the Rega is a better table, don't need to hear the others to know that.

PhxJohn likes this.
  17. .gvp

.gvp New Member

You're quite right, but their mechanism is designed to work with the Carbon cartridge. I've done that much research in the past few days that I can't remember where I read about it now. Still trying to decide between the Planar 1 or 2, and the Project Essential 3 acrylic!

18. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

That's impossible. All Rega's run fast, haven't you seen the Internet? My Planar 2 runs at a consistent 615 RPM.

I was so glad they came back out with the Planar 2. When I bought my P1 I was going to get a P2, but it was right when they changed from a glass platter to the MDF platter. As I recall it was still over 200 dollars more, and I didn't think it was really worth that much more without the glass platter. The old arm was just under 200 at the time, so I figured if I really wanted I could just get one of those later. I like the P1. It's been a great table, but when the new Planar 2 came out I was all in. I think they're kind of giving you the Carbon cart on those. It's alright, but I'll probably put my Nagaoka MP110 on it sooner rather than later. Really love the Planar 2, but I don't think it's always a fair comparison to the Debut, but there's so many different Debuts at so many different price points. I'm sure one of them is supposed to compete with the Planar 2, but the basic one is made to compete with Planar 1. In the real world, the Planar 2 is around 50% more expensive.

willboy and PhxJohn like this.
  19. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Agreed. And I thought the anti-skate corresponds to the tracking force not the Rega Carbon. Rega would not discourage someone from using their own more expensive cartridges with the very capable RB 220 tonearm.

20. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Similar situation. When I bought my Rega, there was no RP2. If there was, I would have bought it instead of the RP1. As I preach about the current Planar 1 and 2, if you came come up with the cash or have some room on the card, buy the Planar 2. You get a tonearm that needs no excuses, and the much heavier 10mm glass platter. I have since upgraded the RP1 severely.

21. .gvp

.gvp New Member

Apparently you can get a skating problem if you change to a lighter cartridge, but the same weight or heavier than the Carbon should be ok. A heavier cartridge means you can now set the tracking force by moving the counterweight backwards, away from the stop. I bought a Planar 1 a couple of weeks ago, and feel confident about upgrading the cartridge without any problems in the future.

A word of warning though: If anyone wants to move up to a Bias 2 cartridge, they need to get the one that comes with the performance pack, as that one is heavier than the Bias 2 which is sold as standalone.

22. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Always use a reliable gauge for setting the tracking force.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, it was my first new turntable and it is with me for about 5 years now. That “hum” is always there but I suspect it is due to a damage I caused in the tonearm green wire trying to change the cartridge. I don’t remember hearing it before. Anyway, this happened when the turntable was still new. I’m thinking of an upgrade now and I’m considering a Rega P2 or a P3. Reading this thread was very helpful.

24. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Will a Denon DL110 work ok with the RP1? I suspect it will need the steel headshell weight supplied with the DL110, to enable the arm to be balanced? I ask because I've just given my old DL110, with a couple of hundred hours life still on it, to a friend of my son to try on his RP1.

25. dbsimon88

dbsimon88 Active Member

Wait so will the rega PL 2 do that? Beat digital if you’re using the same speakers you listen to Spotify premium with let’s say. Noticibly better?

Just want to check before I buy it.. it’s a large sum of money for me at least.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.