Rega Planar 2 or 3 for a newbie

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by José Vasco, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Then don't worry about it and this thread it done

punkmusick likes this.
  2. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Forum Resident

Hi José,
    Definitely go for the P3. I have both an RP40 with Elys (an anniversary edition RP3) and an RP8 with Ania, plus a Saturn-R CD player and an Elicit-R amp. Even the Planar 3 won't be able to offer you as good a sound as what you are used to hearing from the Saturn-R (awesome player). I dare say the RP8 betters the Saturn-R sound-wise. But you'd need a Planar 6 to equal your Saturn-R.
    That does not mean the P3 won't let you enjoy the music, but it does not provide the same insight into the music as what you are accustomed to from your Saturn-R. Unless you are prepared to buy an Ania cartridge for it, then that's another story.
    So, basically, the P2 is going to disappoint.

nosliw and punkmusick like this.
  3. José Vasco

José Vasco Member Thread Starter

I´d never heard the Planar 2, so I can´t deny or agree. It depends of the source, I have a cheap Nad streamer, and it plays very well with my amplifier.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Is there any chance you can work with the dealer and arrange for an in-home "trial" of the 2 and the 3? That way you could drop them both into your system in your room and see which one sounds better to your ear?

5. José Vasco

José Vasco Member Thread Starter

No, I just can hear the Planar 2 and three in the showroom of the dealer. But I will have to go to Barcelona, I´m in Pamplona.
    But from your comments, and from I have been reading, the Planar 3 comes with a better tornarm, and a few other things. I guess I´m gonna saving a bit more, wait and buy the better Planar(The three):righton:

6. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Then you'll have to rely on your ear as to which one sounds better in your opinion. Lots of good advise already in this thread in regard to the value equation between the 2 tables for you to use in your decision.

7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

dbsea and KT88 like this.
  8. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

One reason I'd avoid the Planar 2 (2016) is that the arm, the RB220, does not have user-adjustable anti-skating. (The RB110 on the Planar 1 is the same.) That would be a deal breaker for me.

Planar 3 all the way.

patient_ot, Cyclone Ranger and nosliw like this.
  9. Echoes Myron

Yeah the 3 has the same arm as the 6...very nice arm.

10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The 3 is on a different level. Dont even think about the 2 if you can afford the 3. As far as a platform, Regas do perform best on a light, rigid platform, but you dont have to spend a fortune if you can buy from Ikea in your country. Less than 20 bucks US dollars will buy you a bamboo butcher board that your new Rega will love.

11. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If cost isn't an issue get the Planar 3. It's just better. The Planar 2 is good, but it's a starter deck for those on a budget. Even if you end up selling your deck later, you'll probably recoup any difference in your initial cost if you sell it. So, to me it's the up front cost. I would probably get a used P3-24 or and RP3 over the new Planar 2.

12. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Or you could just put it on a Lack side table for $10. It's love it even more. The Lack side table is about as light and rigid as you can get at an affordable price.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  13. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Or you could use both, with Diveristech EVA pads in between. About 30 bucks total, and my Rega is very, very happy. All three work quite well separately, but even better in combination.

Only problem for the OP, I don't think the EVA pads are available outside the USA. Regardless, either Ikea product will work. If the OP would like to try a similar setup to mine, some other form of isolation could be used between the two Ikea products, but the OP would have to due his own research.

14. Metamodern

Metamodern Forum Resident

Probably a little late to the party, but I just picked up an Edwards Audio TT1 MK2 which is a modified Planar 2. Key differences are the platter, bearing, and belt. I'll soon throw in the aluminum subplatter, and call it good. Very pleased so far. Got it at a good price too at $600 Cdn.[​IMG]

15. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Or you could use an Ikea Butcher block sitting on isolation pads that sit on an Ikea Lack table. The combo did hit about 30 bucks, but sometimes you just have to spend big. :D

16. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

I got an RP2 and now wish I paid the extra for an RP3...Nuff said!

17. KWJ

KWJ Forum Resident

Get the 3 I have owned a p3 24 ,rp3 and a p2 the 3's are your best bet mainly
    because of the arm.

18. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

I have a Denon PMA - 500AE and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. A very modest set up to be honest. I have heard the Rega P2 playing through similar standard set up in my nearby audio store and sounds great and a step up from my old 80's Pioneer TT which I have now sold to make way for replacement. With my set up would I see any benefit form the Rega P3 or would I be wasting my money? I am happy to push the budget if there will be a noticeable improvement.
    I am just looking for a decent sound and have no appetite for this be the start of a chase up the Holy grail of sound perfection and spend £000's.

19. Echoes Myron

Go for the 3 and you will be set for life.

bluesaddict likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.