Rega Planar 3 or ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scribbled_Lines, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scribbled_Lines

Scribbled_Lines Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently have a Rega Planar 1 and rather than spend money trying to improve the stock P1, for the same amount of a new arm,cartridge etc I could get a better starting point and then upgrade from there.
    The obvious path would be the Planar 3 and this is my current choice as I have really liked the Planar 1.
    But is there anything else around £600-700 (with cartridge) that I should be also considering?
    Any suggestions greatly received.
    I am in the UK if that makes any difference.

Randoms likes this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

The new Technics SL1200Mk7 bears looking at, but at 799 quid is a bit dearer than the Planar 3 in the UK.

The Music Hall MMF 5.3 and Pioneer PLX-1000 would also be solid choices, IMO.

3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

You could look instead for a vgc/ex demo/open box RP6 - you should get one for under £700, including the PSU.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

With the lower pricing of the Rega Planar 3 in the UK I don't anything can really compete. For slightly more you could look at the Funk Firm Gett! I am not suggesting this is better deck. But it does offer features that Rega choses to completely ignore like azimuth and VTA adjustment. If you want to take the Rega concept in a slightly different direction, you could look at the Michell Tecno Dec. The Techno Dec seems like a Rega/VPI hybrid, using an upgraded Rega Arm with a VPI plinth and motor design. So, more a VPI take on turntable design without the import markup. There is the Origin decks, but at this point you are well into Planar 6 price points.

Dan Steele likes this.
  5. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'd go for the P3,but skip the Elys and go for the Exact.Lots of complaints about the Elys on this site whereas the Exact seems to a lot of praise here.

6. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

I compared Planar 3/Elys to RP8/Apheta II back when I was looking to get a turntable.
    Totally unfair comparison of course, but Planar 3/Elys in no way embarrassed itself.
    It has a very charming sound IMO. Sound stage is much smaller, making music sound more intimate (which is not a bad thing as such; it merely is a different sound compared to RP8/Apheta II), and pops/clicks were more audible.
    EDIT:
    RP8/Apheta II had much more details in the music as well, but had I only listened to the P3/Elys I would not have thought "Ok, music with this combo isn't very detailled".
    I could have lived happily with the P3/Elys even though my dealer strongly suggested taking Exact instead of Elys.
    In the end I was lucky enough to be able to afford a RP8/Exact.

Dan Steele and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  7. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Stick with what you have and save your money. If you want to spend....buy records.

Ontheone likes this.
  8. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I agree. The incremental SQ difference between the P1 and P3 isn't worth the coin. I'd either spend the money on vinyl or save towards getting something transformational like a Kuzma Stabi S ($2K used). Any money thrown at a table in between is a waste IMO.

9. Scribbled_Lines

Scribbled_Lines Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions, they are very appreciated.

Randoms likes this.
  10. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Hi, if you haven't already, find yourself a good Rega dealer and have a listen.

I don't know the size of your record collection, but if you play a lot of vinyl and appreciate good sound, (hopefully short term) financial considerations aside, you will never regret getting the best sounding turntable you can.

Yes, the Planar 3 will be a good upgrade, but as you mention you are looking for a platform to upgrade from in the future, a better starting turntable than the excellent Planar 3 would in my opinion be a better starting point. Ask your dealer to hear the Planar 6 (maybe higher into the range and alternatives) which with the Neo should give a very large improvement. If in comparison with your Planar 1 you are not really impressed, then either you are happy enough with the Planar 1, or the Planar 6 isn't a big enough improvement. Make friends with your dealer, they may have some excellent part exchanges...

What turntable would you really want to end up with? Try and get there with as few steps as possible, even if it means waiting, as otherwise it ends up costing a lot more.

Happy listening!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  11. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.