Rega Planar 6 interconnects

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Don McPhee, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don McPhee

Don McPhee Member Thread Starter

SO I'm told by a dealer today that the RCA cables, the interconnects, are integral to the table and that the ground wire is integrated into the cables. Therefore an upgrade of a higher end interconnect cable is not possible. Initially I find this troubling as I'm told the cables from a TT to the phono pre are the most important to a high quality signal. My question, do you Planar 6 owners find your stock set up sufficient? Anyone find a need to do they're own upgrade? (if its even possible)

Cheers

Don

2. Why troubling ? Same with my RP8. Works great sounds fab.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

The interconnects on the P6 look to be of high quality, and they also have the advantage of a single wiring system going from the stylus to the preamp. No signal breaks. You you really shouldn't feel a need to upgrade.

4. Don McPhee

I guess with all the talk about needing high end interconnects got me thinking.....But I think I'm good now. Thanks!

displayname likes this.
  5. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I bought the whole package of P6/Ania (fab cart) and Fono preamp and see no need to upgrade the interconnects at all. The Ania is breaking in very nicely with every hour I play it.

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Doing a Rega tonearm wiring upgrade is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. Every RP6, P6 and RP8 I’ve set up for friends has first undergone a wiring upgrade by Origin Live in the UK. The company uses a Cardas loom that does four things:

1. Vastly improved tulip-style cartridge clips with much better strain relief. Makes cartridge changes a breeze.
    2. Lower resistance tonearm wire than the stock Rega wire.
    3. A proper ground strap and wire for attachment to a preamp or SUT. Eliminates many potential and well-documented hum problems associated with the RP6 and P6 in particular.
    4. Higher quality phono wire, shielding and RCA jacks. Makes it less risky to repeatedly plug and unplug as you try different SUTs and phono preamps over the years.

The Origin Live wiring upgrade turns the already-superb P6 into a class leader.

There are tech shops based in the U.S. that can do the exact same wiring upgrade. Haven’t dealt with them, so I can’t recommend one.

I know one member here who recently purchased a P6 with a Rega Ania cartridge, installed it, fed a Graham Slee MC phono preamp and is enjoying absolutely dead silent backgrounds and glorious music. I have a friend a bit closer to home in Toronto who is enjoying almost the exact same thing but with the RP6 - the previous gen model RP6/Rega Exact 2/Rega phono preamp. The RP6 system is also hum-less and terrific sounding. The RP6 user regularly plugs and unplugs, experiments with a variety of phono preamps, and is now starting to try different cartridges. He’s really, really careful with the stock cartridge clips so they’re holding up well so far.

Blumagnet and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Not saying you are wrong, but I haven't seen the part about "no signal breaks" mentioned before in RB330 tonearm talk. There is a trend in aftermarket upgrades to go the direct wire route, and my Clearaudio arm is like that, but just haven't read that about the new Rega tonearms, I'd think they would make more note of it.

On the other hand, I'm not convinced it makes much difference, either :)

displayname likes this.
  8. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I've heard it mentioned in comparisons here and there, but more as a technical/design choice. I'm not sure if it's a real advantage or not, but it seems logical. But I also don't hear of many people rushing to change out those interconnects or the wiring. Obiviously it can be done, but it doesn't seem as high up as other elements for common upgrades.

9. Guth

Guth Music Lover

No problems of any sort here (nor did I have any problems with my previous RP3 for that matter) — incredibly happy with the sound of this turntable. While I don't have any problems with this approach by Rega, I can understand how others might not view it in the same way. Honestly, if I'm going spend time futzing with something I'd rather be turning wrenches on motorcycles and cars than my hifi gear. If I can set it and forget it while remaining impressed with the way my music sounds then I'm happy.

10. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Don, you're making the assumption that all turntable cables are not very good and therefore need upgrading. This is absolutely not the case with Rega, especially those of the last 15 years or so. Rega are constantly testing new cables for their arms and the latest cabling is integral to the sound of the table as others have said. You don't need to change the cable.

displayname, Morbius, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  11. Don McPhee

So is the "HUM" issue I read about more of a "P" thing and not the new Planar 6?

12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Got to keep the model designations straight.

Current as of 2016 - P6

Current from 2008-2016 - RP6

Earlier model - Planar 5

Hum started appearing when Rega devised a new, supposedly internal ground scheme with no external ground wire for the RP models.

13. Night Rider

Night Rider Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I specifically chose the Planar 3 (I could not afford the P6), over the Planar 1 or 2, was the high quality interconnect cables. You will notice they are wired right back through the table and through the tonearm too. Challenging and awkward job to replace them, although it is possible.

On my previous turntables I have "upgraded" interconnects on a few occasions, and to be honest heard extremely little, or no, difference.

14. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I'm not experiencing any hum with my P6/ Planar 6, nor did I with the RP3 that I previously owned. I'm using Rega's Ania cartridge with the P6 and was using a Dynavector DV10x5 with the RP3. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just providing another reference point. I am familiar with turntable hum as I encountered this when I had a Grado Gold cartridge mounted on my old Linn Basik table. After removing the cartridge, the hum went with it. That table actually included a separate ground wire.

15. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Never had any hum issues at non-ear-killer volumes in my whole life, but when comparing my new RP8 to my at120lp, the former I can turn the volume all the way up and not hear a single sound from my speakers.
    The at starts to buzz at 3/4 up (which is an ear-bleeding volume).

16. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Never had hum with my P3-24 or my RP8

I think a few people have had faulty decks, which happens in manufacturing and why all companies sell new products with warranty.

17. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Nor I. Nor with my AR Legend table. As stated before,this "hum" problem seems far more prevalent across the pond.

18. Blumagnet

Blumagnet Forum Resident

The Origin Live wiring upgrade turns the already-superb P6 into a class leader.

There are tech shops based in the U.S. that can do the exact same wiring upgrade. Haven’t dealt with them, so I can’t recommend one.

19. Blumagnet

Blumagnet Forum Resident

I have a Groovetracer subplatter/ceramic bearing modified RP6. Would the Origin Live Wiring Upgrade improve the overall sonic signature of my RP6?

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Has the forum just been infected by a troll bot?..

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Neurotic types will feel better about everything when it is done. Until they feel they need to change something again, when they read that there is some counterweight or record weight, etc that they don't have yet and so feel inadequate again. :shake:
    -Bill

SandAndGlass and punkmusick like this.
  22. Blumagnet

Blumagnet Forum Resident

23. Blumagnet

Blumagnet Forum Resident

Hello Uptown Audio,

No it has not, I mistakenly did not attribute the original post to Agitator.

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Wrong; Rega has never changed their tonearm wiring layout of their RB series tonearms. All of them have used the left channel shield as a common ground for the arm tube. This has never created noise on its own. It is only when the arms are connected to certain systems where there is some unusual ground scheme or a redundant ground that creates a loop, unknown to the user. That can be confusing, and much non-sense has been writen about it by amateurs.
    -Bill

Jivy and evo777 like this.
  25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I was wondering after your second reply. :) Just hit the "Reply" button and it will automatically quote the person you intend to address.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.