Rega Planar 8 announced!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AnalogReview, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

An ancient P2 is about as close to a P8 as a 74 Pinto is to a new Mustang GT. Both tables were built by Rega, both cars by Ford.

Rickchick and Marshall_SLX like this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve just upgraded from a P3 to the P8. Previously my dealer advised to give the TT a nudge or little spin before turning it on to reduce the pressure on it starting. As the P8 comes with it’s own power source, is this still an advisable step?

3. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

Porkpie, I have the same question. I have a Rega P9. I've always started the P3 series with a slight spin. Are we supposed to still do that with the P8 and P9 turntables? Anyone know?

4. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I always give mine a nudge whether you really need to or not.

Porkpie likes this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Sure. It's still a similar low torque motor.
    -Bill

Fishoutofwater and Porkpie like this.
  6. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Let us know your thoughts on the P8 when you can :)

displayname likes this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Simply put, I love it.

When I was doing my research online I wasn’t sure about the design as it’s so different and even in the showroom I wasn’t blown away. But once I got it set up at home it looked awesome.

Ok, so that’s the shallow, aesthetic assessment now for the sound. I really loved the sound of my Exact on the P3 so wasn’t convinced that moving to an MC cart (Ania) was going to be right for me but so far I must have put 20/25 hours on it max and it sounds fantastic. I was worried it wouldn’t be so kind on used albums and come across as being clinical (a criticism I’d read) but pleased to report this is not the case. I played one album I knew to be digitally sourced and the Ania made that quite apparent when the volume was up high but that’s just revealing a subpar mastering. But when I play the bulk of my collection the separation and detail are incredible. I also don’t find it lacking in bass, though is somewhat reduced on some records compared to the Exact.

I’ve read that break-in time for the Ania is anywhere from 50-100 hrs so am looking forward to the journey of breaking it in (it’s a hard job but someone has to do it).

So yes, am very pleased with my investment and getting to rediscover my collection all over again.

8. cryanhorner

cryanhorner Active Member

Can anyone confirm if the Planar 8 dustcover will fit on the RP8? I really want to use my RP8 without that outer plinth section so you can actually see the cool shape, but I need a dustcover. Also is there a source to just order the Planar 8 dustcover on its own? I haven't seen one yet.

9. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

The P8 dustcover has a large spike at the back that fits into a whole in the plinth—so I doubt it would work

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah you would have to get a box-type cover like folks use for VPIs.

Marshall_SLX likes this.
  11. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I use the $99 Michell Unicover on my RP8. Works and looks great.

12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

@cut-out is right. The P8 dust cover has a finder post that prevents the cover from working with an RP8. If your main concern is keeping the platter dust-free (which is a great idea), consider using a spare strobe mat or a spare decorative/theme platter mat on top of the Rega felt mat (or whatever you’re using). Remove the dust mat before play; put it back when you’re done. That’s what I do for my dust cover-less Avid Diva SPII. Works perfectly well.

13. cryanhorner

thanks for the replies guys!

is this the one you're using? if so looks like it's even marked down: Michell Engineering Unicover (Dust cover)

14. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Yes and the quality is even nicer than the picture. It does a great job covering the platter, and does cover the tonearm, but you will still pick up some dust on the tonearm and parts of the plinth, but it looks great on with the naked RP8. My outer shell is forever retired to the garage.

15. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Where did you buy yours?

16. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Here. And it appears to have dropped in price.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  17. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Thank you, just ordered one. :)

Sugar Man likes this.
  18. cryanhorner

that's great, i'm definitely going to order one.

Sugar Man likes this.
  19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You could just remove the pin from the P8 unit. Then again, who knows for sure that it won't fit as-is? Or that it's not more affordable... I have not priced one as a part yet.
    -Bill

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

One observation about the P8, when I lift records off the platter they often bring the cork mat with them (attached) because of static. I used the same cork mat on the P3 and never had this issue. Is it because now I’m playing records without using a lid which previously I always had on when in use?

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No, rather because you are scooting across the rug to your turntable in your fuzzy slippers. ;) Really, it's not about the table but the environment. Vinyl records can be easily charged with static, some folks never seem to have trouble, others only have trouble in the dry winter months, and some complain about well, about everything.

If you have a consistent problem with static charge to records on any turntable, the solution may be to run a ground wire from the main bearing or an arm bolt to a ground point on the stand. I guess where depends upon the table and available metal fixings. Then touch the ground point as you are about to place a record on and again before you remove it. That might transfer any static from your body to the ground, and likewise, any from the deck to the ground. No guarantees it'll work, but it is cheap, easy, and well, nothing ventured, nothing gained...
    -Bill

Porkpie likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It is odd because nothing has changed in the set up apart from the deck itself. As regards rugs etc., we have bare floorboards throughout the house and I’m barefoot at home most of the time.

23. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Excited owner of a new P8 here! Just getting it set up with my Hana SH. Is anyone else shimming their P8?

Mine accidentally shipped with a UK PS1 wall wart, but I should receive the correct US version today. Hoping to actually get it up and running this weekend!

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve just had to replace my one. It was working great for a couple months and then would randomly slow down to almost stopping before speeding back up again. The last couple times it happened though it came to a complete stop and I had to turn the PSU on/off to get it working.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this with a Rega PSU?

cut-out, punkmusick and displayname like this.
  25. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident

This has happened to me twice in the past 6-months. It always works normally after cycling the PS on and off. I haven’t thought much more about it. Maybe I should.

Porkpie and punkmusick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.