Rega Planar 8 announced!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AnalogReview, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Without, and I would have to drive at least five hours in any direction to find the nearest Rega dealer. I may be in the capital city of my state, but it's an audio desert, nothing but HT, installs, environmental audio, lifestyle, and Sonos.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  2. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Nah, I use a Q-up with my RP-8. Go to a hardware store and buy a length of 1/8" or 1/4" thick aluminum, cut it to 3" length with a hacksaw. Place double-sided 3M tape on one side. Stick it to the underside of the hole in the plinth and place the Q-Up inside the hole onto it. Then, adjust the height and depth of the Q-up until it triggers at the right spot outside the LP's label. It took maybe 20-30 min. to do all the fabrication, assembly and postioning. I haven't had to touch it in over two years.

3. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

FWIW, I have never run my RP-8 naked. I prefer dust protection. In another thread I commented on how little difference I heard between an RP-6 and RP-8 when fitted with the same exact cart and SPL levels were measured and exact for the demo. If I had a time machine, I would have opted for an RP-6 and $2k cart instead of the RP-8 and $1k cart. I imagine the P6 narrows that gap further. I also use an Aria phono stage. Buying today, I would get a P-6, Lyra Delos cart and the newer Rega MC standalone stage.

That's not saying I don't enjoy what I have today... I do! It's just the clarity of hindsight...

Shiver, AnalogReview and james like this.
  4. AnalogReview

AnalogReview Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I went from a modded RP3 with TT-PSU to a VPI Classic and feel the opposite. I love the simplicity of Rega tables. Set them up and 5 mins later they sound beautiful. That's the great thing though, we have the option to be able to choose between these amazing products!

5. AnalogReview

Very interesting. I haven't heard the P6 but I remember listening to my RP3 with TT-PSU and the RP6 and not noticing much difference at all. I opted for the RP3 as a base to start modifying with Groovetracer stuff and it was a great table that I enjoyed for many years.

How would you apply VTA for the Delos? I'd imagine it would need a lot of spacers being quite a tall cart.

Curious if you think the cost of the P6 would be worth it over the P3 with TT-PSU and white belt?

PhxJohn likes this.
  6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

WOW...that new P8 looks pretty darn fantastic.

PhxJohn likes this.
  7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Rega has a one piece spacer with posts that add 2, 4, 6, and 8mm. I have one under my RB 202 as my Ortofon Quintet Blue is very tall.

8. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

This is what i'm trying to decide. Do I go with a new P6 or get a close-our rp8?? thoughts anybody??

benzo likes this.
  9. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Like the look of the RP8 much better but that's just me. I'd hold out for a deal on one of those. I like the separate plinth with hinged dustcover a lot.

Eigenvector and displayname like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

If you can afford it I would go RP8 over P6 no question.

11. AnalogReview

Depends on how much of a saving you get of course but if it's not much different I'd definitely go the RP8. It's got a really nice arm and assuming it's a late model it should come with the neo PSU allowing you to dial the speed in perfectly (as does the P6).

12. Too many options but not enough cash at the moment. I will wait and see.

displayname likes this.
  13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

The latest Rega decks look amazing.

14. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Starting with the Planar 2(latest version), my brother said that they look like works of art. My Rega looks so dated. Much has changed with Rega in 4 years.

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I want one. And slap a London Jubilee on it.

16. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

It seems that if there was not enough clearance, one could just add a platter mat or two to raise the height of the dustcover. Unless I am missing something.

17. stereoguy

Geez, just a few months ago I bought a new (2016 model) Rega RP2, upgraded it with the white belt, new Subplatter, Spacer for the Tonwarm, and installed my favorite cart of all time, the 1960 GE VR 1000.
    It sounds fabulous.
    Now the new RP8 comes out and I'm Jealous!!

PhxJohn likes this.
  18. stereoguy

A London Jubilee.......excellent!! Of course I would'nt mind a 1962 Decca, either....

PhxJohn likes this.
  19. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I think I 'got that'. LOL.

20. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Well it is certainly interesting... not sure i like that there appears to be less metal on the tone arm mount... looks wise i prefer the RP8 and i certainly prefer the outter frame and full size dustcover... i am skeptical of the foam core too polyeurethane foam isnt new or expensive for that matter... the subplatter also somehow seems of a lesser standard to the previous one... i certainly wont be considering it over my P9 with RB2000... although i will give those new belts a run

Eigenvector and Echoes Myron like this.
  21. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I don't have an RP8 but I've read that they run 1% too fast. Perhaps, someone with an RP8 could chime in. I might be interested in getting one if the price is right and the speed is accurate.

22. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Have it checked by some reliable means . No one can guarantee whether or not a particular example of any turntable will run on speed from here.

23. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

The new Neo power supply has adjustable speed if you can go that way.

displayname, PhxJohn and bluesaddict like this.
  24. Eno_Fan

Eno_Fan Staring into the abyss: Brockman BIF, Pilbara WA

One for Stereophile's stethoscope...

punkmusick likes this.
  25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Yep. And it works. My P6 is running at 33.33 rpm. New Regas can run dead on

PhxJohn and punkmusick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.