Rega Planar 8 announced!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AnalogReview, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My RP10 is dead on and very stable.

punkmusick likes this.
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Which is more than can be said for many models of various brands. I do not know why Rega is always singled out. My Garrard Lab 80 runs 1% fast according to a test report from back in the day. People will say that is to compensate for the weight of a stack of records when used as a changer. Regardless of reason, off speed is off speed. The NEO TT-PSU can be used with any Rega TT with the 24 volt motor.

Marshall_SLX likes this.
  3. My RP8 is spot on speed wise.

Crazyhorse11, punkmusick and PhxJohn like this.
  4. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

My P9 is spot on and my P7 was too... P5 i had was hopeless 34.1... P3 24 33.6

Turntable Fan and PhxJohn like this.
  5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

What is great is that one can 'backward apply' the NEO TT-PSU to most Rega models. New phrase: 'I could've had a P8 !!!!!' LOL

6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

So, the P8 has no frame? Skeletal only?

bluesaddict and PhxJohn like this.
  7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Yep. No frame. Naked. Looks good naked.

punkmusick, bluesaddict and Mazzy like this.
  8. The frame for the RP8 was only needed to secure the dust cover. That need is no longer needed due to redesigned cover.

PhxJohn likes this.
  9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Rega has some very creative and imaginative people.

10. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I just watched a video of the RP8. With the frame removed, the skeleton is unfinished. The P8 is nicely finished.

11. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

The foam irks me... i obviously dont have Rega's reasearch info but the RP8's polyolefin foam certainly seems more tech than the P8's polyeurethane

HiFi Guy likes this.
  12. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

My P3(2000) with Groovetracer upgrades is also dead on. I would just hate to spend thousands on a better turntable only to have it running too fast. It looks like I'll be OK as long as I get a Rega with the NEO power supply and not the older one.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  13. audio.bill

audio.bill Well-Known Member

From what I've been told that multi-level plastic spacer has been discontinued, but if you'd like one you may still be able to find some stock available.

14. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Any scoop yet on U.S. pricing? Really intrigued since the U.K. pricing on the bare deck is ~$2250 USD at current exchange.

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I noticed it no longer appeared on Rega's website after I posted it. I have one and posted before checking.

16. audio.bill

audio.bill Well-Known Member

US pricing has yet to be determined according to this product announcement by the US distributor which also includes some additional pics.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

GoldPrintAudio told me that it doesn't quite fit the RP8 or RP10, by extension one might infer the new Planar 8 too. I dunno if it's also problematic on the Planar 6?

18. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Exchange rates aren't representative due to import taxes, shipping, distribution, etc.
    Without a cartridge the RP8 was/is £1,598. P8 is £1699. I'd expect the US pricing without a cartridge to be very near the RP8 price of $3K. Possibly $3,200.

19. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

You're a bit out of date with the RP8 price - from May 2018 prices have been:
    RP8 TT PSU included £1,679.00
    RP8 - ANIA MC Ania MC cartridge factory fitted / TT PSU included £2,099.00
    RP8 - APHETA 2 MC Apheta MC cartridge factory fitted / TT PSU included £2,419.00

So the P8 prices are very close. Rega put their prices up against increased parts imports due to the £ falling (Brexit), even though I guess their sales have increased abroad as a result.

displayname likes this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you read post 28 from Rega's Paul Darwin in the thread on Pink Fish linked to below you will see that the Rega price rise is not caused by Brexit or the weaker Pound come to that, but was caused by gradual, mainly UK based, supplier price rises over the last ten years. He also suggests that some distributors and manufacturers have cynically used Brexit as a smokescreen to get away with unjustified price rises.

Brexit and possible impact on European HiFi prices

ThorensSme likes this.
  21. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I think this is right -- the average U.S. import premium on the current lineup varies quite a bit -- between 24% and 45% at current exchange depending on the model -- but overall averages out to about 33% across the entire line. That would put the new Planar 8 at $3k on the nose. $3200 would be on the high end, but roughly equivalent to the current UK/US price difference on the Planar 1 (~45%).

displayname likes this.
  22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Hi, Has anyone come across any good UK discounted offers for the RP8 being replaced, as stock is replaced by the new model ?

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Your best bet is to search the clearance offers on retailer sites such as: Audio T, Sevenoaks, HiFiX, good luck.

I just checked and Audio T have four on clearance, don't forget to join the e club for an extra 5% off.

Dhreview16 likes this.
  24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I remember in the 1980s when it was introduced, the dealer cost in the USA for the RB300 tonearm was more than full retail price, including VAT, in the UK.

25. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.