Rega Planar 8 owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by liptrot, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I agree with your profound statement completely, I would also "take" an RB3000 and ceramic platter over a RB880 and a glass platter, the key word is take. The question is, after you have paid several thousands of dollars for that P8, would you then be willing to dip right on in that pocket for another $2,300.00 for that RB3000? I'm all about taking anything free, heck, I should probably call my dealer and let him know I would love to take the Planar 10 over the Planar 8, however, he might hang up the phone on me.

Here is another profound utterance, If I only had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had the eggs!

scarfaceclaw likes this.
  2. Litejazz53

Where you won't think I'm completely seeing things, here is what is showing up here. Every other pic is showing up, except yours, this has never happened before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I believe you But haven’t heard anyone else not seeing it ????

4. Just checked my profile info and it’s still there ?

[​IMG]

5. Litejazz53

Who knows what it could be, I will probably never find out, but your pic is so cool, I miss seeing it. I'm sure it will pop up at some point. Truly a great pic!

6. Litejazz53

All done, except the fine tuning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trd, Musician95616, jphabc54 and 2 others like this.
  7. Litejazz53

If you are desiring plug and play, it can't get much easier than the Planar 8, all you adjust is the tracking force and the anti-skate, plug in and you are done. The cartridge is already installed and obviously optimized for this turntable as well as the Planar 10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

james, bluesaddict, trd and 3 others like this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Very nice system you got there.

Echoes Myron and Litejazz53 like this.
  9. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

I was one of those who had the initial issues with the turntable slowing down and, more often than not, quickly resuming again. Despite following their advice to make sure it locates firmly with a click and so on, the problem returned after a few months. I ended up returning the table as they had to check the PSU as each one is finely attuned to the individual P8.

This happened back in November. A few months ago, the speed issues returned. No change in my setup, cabling, room etc. I flagged this but, given it was the same issue and the likelihood of that happening twice without a mass outcry on here or other forums, I also asked if I was somehow - and I know this sounds faintly ridiculous - not clicking it in properly.

Their advice was still just “If the plug and socket are aligned correctly, it does go in with a 'click' but it takes a extra little pressure.” I feel like I have tried every possible micro adjustment when pushing the cable in and to ensure an audible click, but I’m still having speed issues. I suspect it’s going to have to go back again because, unless I’m losing my mind, I think I’m connecting it properly! This minor saga does feel a bit like a really rubbish Kafka offshoot at times. Mentioning for info, fishing for other sufferers and just venting!

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I had the same problem. Seems to happen to a very few folks. Ask them to ship you a new Neo unit to see if that will fix your problem. I solved my problem by taking a loss and upgrading to the Planar 10. A radical move but...

The Planar 8 is a nice table but it is frustrating not knowing if it will work or not.

Billy Bird likes this.
  11. Billy Bird

Useful to know, thanks. Also tempted by that extreme upgrade, but feels like rewarding a problem with more money! Did you even try swapping the Neo first? They weren’t keen last time because of how they say each individual turntable is fine tuned with its PSU.

12. Litejazz53

Just want to say, mine is brand new, and I have not experienced any speed problems at all. Very straight forward hook up, all was very easy and it's totally quiet and appears to have perfect speed with no variations.

13. 1David

1David Forum Resident

Looks like you have not adjusted the antiskate? Do you prefer not to use it? By the way, when I set my P8 (with Apheta 3) antiskate to around ~2ish, it ocasionally skipped on some albums. I now have it set at ~1 and all is good.

14. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

I struggled with this as well until someone tipped me off that the collars on each of the end DIN cable actually slide and lock in to their corresponding socket. So I had the best success holding that collar back/open, inserting the cable in to the PSU/TT, and then pushing the collar back forward to lock in to place. Hope that makes even a remote bit of sense and more importantly, helps you enjoy worry free listening.

Believe me, I initially thought the recommendation was rubbish...as if I wasn't cable of plugging in a cable properly...but I was happy to eat crow here and the locking plugs made all the difference when properly seated.

cut-out likes this.
  15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Great. I am happy for you. It is a really nice table , enjoy it.

16. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Diggin' my new Planar 8/Apheta 3 combo. Fantastic table and cartridge. Anyone else using a SUT?

17. Litejazz53

You are correct. My first experience with anti-skate was with a VPI table. I spoke to Matt and was advised a little anti-skate goes a long way, so I used very little with that VPI table. The next table was the Marantz acrylic, which I adjusted the anti-skate, per the instructions and left it that way for about two months. I found my Shure test record which has an anti-skate segment, so I used the record and found that the factory setting with the Marantz table was far too much anti-skate applied, which brought me back to Matt's words, a little goes a long way. So, with the new Rega 8, I'm going to use the Shure record again to make the adjustment, just have not done it yet. Chances are I can put the gauge on about .5 and it will probably be perfect, a little bit will do ya! :righton:

18. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Beautiful table...you also have a great eye....nice pictures as usual:)

Litejazz53 likes this.
  19. Billy Bird

Appreciate this reply, thanks. Totally makes sense and was what I found myself doing at the time. With the collar ‘locked’, is it actually flush to the box of the PSU so you cannot see even a slither of the metal within? Should the collar itself be situating slightly into the PSU?

20. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

Boy, to my eyes it appears that the collar is flush to the socket of the PSU - I don't see any silver poking through. I believe the collar just relieves tension on a small tab which creates the locked connection.

21. Billy Bird

Thanks again. I could make out a tiny amount of silver. Looking again, I think the port inside the Neo is ever so marginally misaligned against the circular space for docking the Din cable. Having manoeuvred it up slightly whilst reattaching, I’m no longer experiencing slow downs. I’ll keep an eye, but appreciate you taking the time. Sometimes, it’s just about talking through the basics.

cut-out and jheyesen like this.
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

it's not the greatest design. i thought my power supply had broken or my motor had died. it's not the most confidence inspiring interface.

23. Arknine

Arknine Forum Resident

Apologies for hijacking this and seeking some advice - I am upgrading from the Ania to the Apheta 3 -> Planar 8 -> Harbeth Monitor 30.1's and would like to upgrade the phono stage to one of the following (i) Lehmann Black Cube SE II (ii) Rega Aria (iii) Gold Note PH10 (iv) Trilogy 906 - am based in Dublin, Ireland so demos or loaners aren't possible - any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated - thank you

24. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

I just upgraded my phono stage to the Aria, and it's great so far (although still very new/low mileage).

In case you haven't seen it, lots of info re: Gold Note and Aria in this thread: Loading for Rega Apheta 3

Arknine and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Aria is a natural match if you are going to use Rega carts too.

Morbius, KT88, Arknine and 1 other person like this.