Rega Power Supply Unit

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jomay, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomay

Jomay Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a brand new Rega RP8, straight from Music Direct. It came with the Rega TTPSU. I have a Rega Neo which I would like to use instead. However, the Neo when connected to the RP8 spins more than 25% faster than it should. When I connect the TTPSU that came with the RP8 it spins at 33.31 rpm. I know the Neo pairs with the RP8. I also know the Neo works fine with my Rega P3, so why would it be spinning so much faster on the RP8. When the button on the Neo is set to 45rpm it spins even faster. I've restored the the Neo to factory settings but that has had not real effect. What would cause the Neo to behave this way when paired with the RP8?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I'd guess you have a 50Hz Rega RP8/TTPSU and a 60Hz NEO. There's an internal jumper in the NEO to change settings.

PhxJohn, Strat-Mangler and Jomay like this.
  3. Jomay

Jomay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Indeed and my Neo manual confirms 60Hz. Is converting the Neo to 50Hz a simple tweak a novice could do?

4. Davey

Well, I don't think it's intended to be user selectable, but I don't know how easy it is to get at it ...

The Neo TTPSU is factory set for 50/60Hz at 33 RPM and 67.5/81Hz at 45 RPM. There is an internal jumper (SK2) that selects 50Hz (jumper out) or 60Hz (jumper in). You must cycle power after changing the jumper... Rega

Jomay likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Switching a jumper is easy. Pull it off, push it into the right set of pins. The part which may or may not be difficult depending on how it's manufactured is opening the unit up to gain access. In some cases, it's as easy as using a screwdriver. Sometimes, manufacturers can use proprietary parts, make the device almost impossible to access unless it's brought to their service center, or uses hex screws where you'd need to purchase the proper tool so they can removed.

Once it's removed, it's easy-peasy. Now, *please* keep in mind I wasn't able to find a picture illustrating your unit's internals but am solely showing one of another TTPSU to show what it may look like, where it could be located, that there might be a legend printed on the circuit board, etc.

https://soundorg.com/content/Rega_Info/THE_ILLUSTRATED_GUIDE_TO_THE_TTPSU.pdf

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

Go figure out the crazy logic of putting a 50Hz motor in a US turntable... along with a dual 24V AC/20V DC power supply, requiring a $350 speed controller with frequency generator instead of just a 24V wall transformer:

If your 'table was purchased in the US & originally came stocked with a NEO-PSU or TT-PSU (P7, RP40, RP6, RP8, Planar 6), order the Neo in 50Hz.

Some photos shows a sticker above the power output, labeled "turntable frequency", that may allow some models a simpler switch to 50Hz. There is also the aforementioned jumper that may be present on other models but doesn't seem indicated for the Neo.

I also can't answer what you'll find inside. Without a switch or jumper being discovered, the mainboard may need modifications such as crystal, frequency divider, or firmware to turn it into the other version. As per another forum post:

Actually, as far as I’m aware, there are 50Hz and 60Hz (@33.3 rpm) versions of the Neo to suit the decks from each market. It was certainly the case with the TT-PSU MK2, I’ve repaired a couple of those and there are some minor component differences between the two.

7. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Rega's are British turntables and like the majority of the world, we in England run 240V @ 50Hz. I get there's a big market in the US but there is a world outside of the US and the Canada/America mainland uses different power to most other countries.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    _cruster, PhxJohn and MGW like this.
  8. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

All of this will be news to some (many)!

PhxJohn and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What's you're point? The USA had electricity first thanks to Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, and Nicola Tesla.

10. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Using the 50 Hz pulley in North America doesn’t cause the need for the Neo. The Neo is bundled with certain models. On those models, they leave the Neo and the turntable configured for 50 Hz even when it’s going to North America. As can be seen in the earliest posts in this thread, there have been several models bundled with a Neo or Rega TTPSU and were therefore equipped with the 50 Hz pulley.

PhxJohn likes this.
  11. MGW

Sooooo, you had it first, which is a highly debatable point anyway (in fact the UK had the first public electricity supply and use) so everything made globally should immediately confirm to you rather unusual standard? :thumbsdow

12. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I think you just have to bridge that jumper marked with arrow, then trim te pots for lowest noise. But I'm not 100% shure.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    El Niño de Meltzer, Jomay and Davey like this.
  13. Davey

Well done!

14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

That's trumping history !

MGW and vinnn like this.
  15. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Ha, indeed. It's almost like Micheal Faraday and all those European dudes that pioneered alternating current never existed.
    :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    MGW likes this.
  16. MGW

Added to which Tesla was, of course, a Croatian Serb!

17. MGW

Trumping as in "That's fake news!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.