Rega TT Owners - Which would you choose first?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Captain Vinyl, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Vinyl

Captain Vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently purchased a RP 3 TT with the factory mounted Elys 2 Cart. One of the main reasons I purchased this model was the ability to upgrade the TT as my budget could afford.

With that being said, my question is; what upgrade would be your 1st choice, 2nd, etc.....Based upon an upgrade purchase every 6 months. Though I might consider a GT upgrade of any 2 components as a one time purchase.

A) TT PSU Power Supply
    B) GT Delrin Platter
    C) GT Reference SubPlatter
    D) Exact Cartridge (or equal competitor)
    E) GT Counterweight

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

1) Exact Cartridge
    2) TT/PSU
    3) GT Reference subplatter

....end of upgrades.

Enjoy the table as I'm sure it's fabulous@

3. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

1. Exact Cartridge
    2. TT PSU
    3. GT Ref Subplatter
    4. GT Counterweight
    5. GT Platter

4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

What about the white belt?

5. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

least important

6. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

GT Reference subplatter.

First thing I did when I got my P5 was pull it from my Planar 3 and install it in my P5.

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I probably noticed the biggest difference with a lower hung counterweight then maybe the double pulley upgrade from mr Lim.

If you look at his website there is a lot of great info on modding these type of decks. If you email him any questions he is turbo quick in his reply.

http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk

I have had to motor isolation base, double pulley, thrust bearing, VTA spacer.

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I think I'd go cartridge first. The subplatter surprised me when I upgraded. That's a good one to do next, or even first.

9. el34eh

el34eh Member

As someone whom has owned his share of Rega Turntables and still recommends them to friends as a bare minimum to this day as well as following the upgrade paths on their behalf, I'd have to say (1) GT Reference Sub-platter as without the belt having enough torque what difference does the cartridge and PSU matter - if the table itself is off speed?. (2) The renowned White Belt as it will show you that in most cases it's not because of the speed being to slow or fast - it's the quality behind the belt that isn't allowing the sub-platter to correct any set speed be that 33.3 or 45 RPM (3) Double Pulley System as mentioned about ( same logic as number 2 ). (4) JA Michell Technocounterweight as it allows the user to use a greater range of cartridges other then those designed by Rega ( Like maybe a Denon/Zu/Uwe/Midas based 103 or Nagaoka MP-500 ). And finally I'd have to say (5) Incognito Tonearm Rewiring Kit as the RCA's on most Rega's are prone to shortages over time and besides the Tonearm wiring loom isn't that great sonically to begging with. And trust me the Delrin platter can wait till last. Oh I forgot to mention I own a Rega Exact II and use it along with 6 other cartridges that I store as back-ups and still love it to this day, but have moved on from Rega tables years ago - but for the sake of assisting friends in finding out about the joys of Vinyl whom aren't willing to spend $3.900 on a table - the Rega's are the hardest to beat based purely on sound - not appearances like those made by VPI or others that look nice - but can't bring a smile on ones face in the manner in which the Rega's render music so naturally. But then again - I'm biases to tables that actually play notes properly to begin with. ( Hi Art ) Regards, Oscar

10. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I have to agree with Art K.:righton:

11. hal jones

hal jones Forum Resident

I upgraded my P5 in this order:

1. TT-PSU
    2. GT ref subplatter
    2. GT acrylic platter (Delrin wasn't available at the time).

I got the Exact cart at the same time as the P5.

Here's a question.....

Is it worth it to upgrade the counterweight? My buddy upgraded his and said it was quite finicky to set up properly.

And another....

Delrin vs Acrylic? Should I switch?

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Get that arm rewired while you're at it.
    Best-
    Norm/t5

13. el34eh

el34eh Member

:goodie:
    it's all good

14. el34eh

el34eh Member

I personally didn't find the JA Michell a problem whatsoever - and had the Acrylic platter on the P25 when I sold it in 2010, to my ears it glossed over the resolution and made things duller to my ears. Yet I'd go on to recommend the Auditorium 23 LP Mat that quite a few dealers are becoming quite fond of on these tables as well as those from Well Tempered Labs. Once again just random thoughts, Oscar

15. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

1. GT Reference Subplatter
    2. External PSU

16. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

That's a pretty interesting turntable site; surprised it hasn't come up before (at least that I've seen.)

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I thought so too. It's cheap also. These little tweaks don't have to cost much to sound good

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have the RP3 with the Elys2 and the TT PSU and love the sound. LOVE the sound! I'm sitting tight, no upgrades planned.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Me 3.
    -Bill

20. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Interestingly, when this same discussion came up at the estimable audiogon.com a while back, the consensus was the turntable power supply unit (@$375) was the first tweak worth doing, even before the exact 2 cartridge (@$600) upgrade from the Elys 2.

People just raved over the TT PSU, and now it's new and improved. But folks do love to love their new toys.

This sub platter business, though: hmm. Are we talking Reference, Deluxe, or Standard. The groove tracer site says (of course): "Do not be fooled by the "standard" designation."
    Okay, why not give it a different name?

I have a Rega p3-24 with elys2 and am looking at upgrade path too...

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I would not change the counterweight. Personally, i like the glass platter and felt mat combo also. The softer materials like acrylic soak up a bit of the dynamics.
    -Bill

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Trade it in on an RP6 and you'll get loads of upgrades.
    -Bill

23. Paranoid_Android

Paranoid_Android Forum Resident

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Anyone consider the Herbie Audio Lab "Way Excellent" mat a significant upgrade?

25. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.