Reggae albums with great sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kingston12, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

The Soul Jazz reissues sound incredible

2. 3m3rson

3m3rson Forum Resident

I see your point, but raise you with the fact that it's early-80's dub... Dub Music | Discogs

3. 3m3rson

3m3rson Forum Resident

A couple more audiophile CD releases from the original master tapes:

The Aggrovators - Dubbing It Studio 1 Style
    Delroy Washington - Rasta
    Jacob Miller - Who Say Jah No Dread (The Classic Augustus Pablo Sessions)
    Kiddus I - Rockers: Graduation In Zion 1978-1980
    Sergeant Pepper - Judgement Day
    Tradition - ...Tell Your Friends About Dub. +1 [actually, its the whole Tradition Original Albums Master Collection series released by Octave Labs]
    Willi Williams - Messenger Man

And here's some more modern stuff:

African Head Charge - Drumming Is A Language 1990 - 2011
    Bob Marley - Dreams Of Freedom (Ambient Translations Of Bob Marley In Dub)
    Inna De Yard - The Soul Of Jamaica
    Ras Michael - Live By The Spirit
    Phazz-a-delic]

bmh5879 and oldjollymon like this.
  4. Reggae in the 70's and 80's was mixed by truly great engineers. They were much more sophisticated that most rock engineers. They had to work with much less advanced equipment and had to compensate by being excellent. Their instrument separation was second to none, despite recording often on 4 or 8 tracks

In addition, they created so many sonic innovations. Listen to Aswad's New Chapter of Dub (engineered by Godwin Logie, who also mixed Gregory Isaacs' Night Nurse and King Sunny Ade, among many others ) or Black Uhuru Chill Out (engineered by Steven Stanley, who also did Grace Jones and Tom Tom Club), or Rico's Man From Wareika (engineered by Karl Pitterson, who also did Steel Pulse). And of course the wonderful Errol Brown (Bob Marley Uprising) and the legendary King Tubby, his disciples Scientists and Prince Jammy's, the list goes on and on... Those were the days

Man at C&A, GyroSE, riverrat and 2 others like this.
  5. 3m3rson

3m3rson Forum Resident

Some recent titles I discovered recently:

The Loving Paupers - Lines + Lines in Dub

The Drastics - Chicago Massive (double disc)

Soul Jazz Records [Various] - Harmony, Melody & Style (Lovers Rock In The UK 1975-1992) (double disc)

George Faith - To Be A Lover (aka “Super Eight”)

Althea & Donna - Uptown Top Ranking (maybe mentioned before, but worth rementioning…it’s great)

6. 3m3rson

3m3rson Forum Resident

Shoot, the phazz release I mistyped above was this:

Phazz-a-delic [Various] - Dub Be Good To Me

7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Check this out. Nice light presentation with pretty decent sound:
    Big Mountain “wake up” 1992

[​IMG]

8. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

This sounds mighty fine on my system.
    [​IMG]

It's Felix likes this.
  9. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

Awesome thread!

So much thanks to all that have shared here…

GyroSE likes this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I'm not allowed to comment in this thread. :(

11. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Why?

12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Dubmart likes this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I could - but basically I joined this forum to discuss music, not sound quality.

You may say why then am I interested in this thread at all, and you would have a point, but I am interested in what others have to say about sound quality of reggae albums, because there seems a big variation in this, and I think this is noticeable on almost any system. Well, maybe not on a tinny little transistor radio.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I care for the music in the first place but I never hesitated to list my gear in my profile. I don’t understand what the problem is with showing what you got. I believe listing it is good for other members so they might imagine and/or understand what ones system is about. There’s no elitist thinking around this just pure information IMHO. I respect people with budget gear as much as people with ultra high end dream gear. We all do have amazing moments sitting down listening to music in front of our respectively sound systems, right?

Yeah reggae music do sound amazing when it’s produced all through the chain in the best possible way. The different albums mentioned in the thread are great examples, I’m lucky enough to own a lot of them and I do agree that they in some cases sound really amazing.

Dubmart likes this.
  16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I’d like to especially thank the our reggae gurus @Dubmart , @99thfloor and @Guillaume Bougard for educating me and probably other members as well about the magic thing about discovering reggae music. This thread as well as the Crucial Reggae thread are amazing and educational if you want to dig deeper in to the reggae domain. Keep up the good work guys! :righton:

17. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I just bought a Japanese pressing from some time many decades ago on vinyl. Sounds outstanding.

18. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

Eek-A-Mouse - Wa-Do-Dem.

The bass will evacuate your bowels...

420JJJazz666 and Khorn like this.
  19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Just added. Waiting to check it out. Thanks.

Mr Smith likes this.
  20. nabucho

nabucho Forum Resident

Rhythm and sound w/ the artists.
    The deep side of of reggae under a modern expression. Cut at Dubplates &Mastering, it sounds so great...
    And deeper than deep, See Mi Y'a, always by Rhythm and sound

3m3rson and Em. like this.
  21. nabucho

nabucho Forum Resident

22. This rule, man... No comment... But HEAVY suspension marks will likely let you know what I mean.

One can perfectly speak about SQ without having to list their equipment. Mine nowadays is more often than not my iphone with airpods and that doesnt prevent me from knowing what sounds good or bad, especially in Reggae music! Robbie Shakespeare listened to stuff on a small blue tooth speaker and could tell you what was OK or not. All of that means that one and all should not censor themselves and should express their opinion freely

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It's not my rules, Guillaume and I was just answering a question.
    I've been able to tell good sounding albums on my first cheapo turntable as a teenager :agree: and later on many of those featured Robbie on bass.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

Just add a Crosley and 4 quarters as your stylus through a blue tooth speaker. That'll satisfy the rules. Lol

Guillaume Bougard likes this.
  25. Stevie Wonder used to test his albums on a cheap cassette player not on a high end deluxe stereo because he know 99% of his customers didnt have a super expensive top of the line sound system