Reggae: starting a collection - where to begin (other than Legend) ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I haven't heard anything about him in a few years but he was still playing locally on the weekends. A retired coworkers brother used to be his keyboard player. I hope he's just getting out for some fresh air and doesn't need the money.

2. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

This is one of my favourite collections, a 3-CD set from the UK:

[​IMG]

3. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

My UK Reggae collection was pretty weak until I joined up here in '07. I really only knew of a few UK artists like Steel Pulse, Aswad, Maxi Priest etc... Over the years @Dubmart and a few other forum members have turned me on to some great, or at least interesting, UK bands, like Matumbi, Black Roots, Black Slate, Talisman etc... If you want to explore UK Reggae here's a good one on the Virgin Front Line Label.

[​IMG]

Dubmart likes this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Now you've got me wondering what the other CDs in the pile are.:)

black sheriff likes this.
  5. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Nah, all my Bristol Archive Records are on vinyl. :righton:

Dubmart likes this.
  6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ok, I though their popularity was about the same in the US, so that those records would be as common as over here, I see those late 70s albums all the time.

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I mostly use "Reggae" in pretty much the same way as Dubmart describes, as an "umbrella" term, which is how it has come to be used popularly. Only occationally do I use it in it's narrower (and more correct) meaning, describing music from after Rock Steady up until early Dancehall, usually when differentiating from earlier and later styles.

Dubmart explained and expanded on my own thoughts and what I was trying to geat at, in a much better way than I could manage myself... :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The U.S. is a very large country. Again, I can't speak to NY or LA or Miami, but look where I am at now. You'd think used reggae vinyl would be plentiful but that's not the case, and most reggae sections at record stores I've been to (again in several different cities) are very small or downright pitiful. Typically you'll see some latter day Jimmy Cliff and Third World LPs that very few people want. This is one of those situations where when anything "good" shows up the people running the record shop either keep it for themselves or sell it on eBay/Discogs. If not for places like Ernie B's, I would have hardly any reggae in my LP boxes at all.

9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Here's one of the Soul Jazz compilations that Guillaume had mentioned recently. The Soul Jazz releases cost a little bit more on this side of the Atlantic, but they're well worth seeking out.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am absolutely loving this Lee Perry compilation, really incredible sounding; unfortunately only 10 tracks. Lee Perry - Reggae Greats

I was hoping someone could recommend some other great sounding Lee Perry cds. I have 3-4 of his compilations or albums on Trojan but frankly I am not too impressed with the sq.

I am also hoping to find any cd with a good sounding "I Am The Upsetter"

11. mgmgrand

mgmgrand Forum Resident

In case you weren't overwhelmed with enough suggestions . . .

The Soundtrack from Rockers. Watch the film while you're at it. Goofy but enlightening.
    Hugh Mundell: Africa Will Be Free By 1983. Nothing else quite like it. Augustus Pablo was heavily involved.
    Burning Spear--Marcus Garvey (as previously recommended), Hail H.I.M., Social Living, plus the early Radio One stuff
    Culture: Two Sevens Clash, International Herb, Cumbolo
    The Mighty Diamonds: I Need a Roof. Nothing sweeter ever recorded. My Jamaican pressing has two Side B's, and they're both awesome!
    Sugar Minott: Showcase
    Freddie McGregor: Mr. McGregor
    Gregory Isaacs (in general)
    Also great in general: Horace Andy, Johnny Clarke, Jackie Mittoo
    And the Lee Perry Trojan sets are awesome.

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That old Reggae Greats is a sweet little compilation, it has the benefit of being on Island, which tends to mean better sound.

I am not too good at giving audiophile recommendations, but for content these more recent ones are good:
    Sipple Out Deh: Lee 'Scratch' Perry & Friends* - The Black Ark Years (The Jamaican 7"s)
    Disco Devil: Lee "Scratch" Perry* - Disco Devil (The Jamaican Discomixes)

"I Am The Upsetter" is included on these for example:
    I Am The Upsetter: Lee Perry - I Am The Upsetter (The Story Of The Lee "Scratch" Perry Golden Years)
    The Upsetter Selection: A Lee Perry Jukebox: Lee Perry - The Upsetter Selection: A Lee Perry Jukebox

Edit: "I Am The Upsetter" is also on many Trojan various artists compilations, but another source, which is not Trojan, is VP's First Class Rock Steady, which came out last year: Various - First Class Rock Steady, and it is also on the old Joe Gibbs compilation Explosive Rock Steady on Heartbeat (re-released as Reggae's Greatest Hits Volume 9).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    bmoregnr likes this.

13. Yes, the BosWash corridor can be quite strong if you know where to look, and lately vinyl savvy stores have picked up the pace. However, for the most part it is sparse, or you find a whole collection of late 80s dreck.

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The obvious progression from Reggae Greats is probably the Arkology three CD set: Lee Scratch Perry* - Arkology

bmoregnr likes this.
  15. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I was complimented yesterday at the grocery store on my Toots & the Maytals Pressure Drop t shirt, not the first time. The gentleman was a mid to late 50s Jamaican, not UK. We talked about Reggae and Jamaica for a few minutes and then resumed our shopping. For an artist that wasn't what you'd call "mainstream", I sure do get a lot of comments/compliments here in Miami.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For older Jamaicans I think alongside of Bob Marley and maybe Alton Ellis you'd find Toots in the top three artists, all of them successfully made the musical transition from the sixties into the seventies, now I hope you asked the guy if he had a cupboard full of records he no longer needed.:righton:

17. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

They never do. :realmad:

:cheers:

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You always got to ask though, you just need that one score, I've got back into seriously searching for records the past 18 months, lots and lots of conversations, lots of blanks, but after 18 months a few of those conversations are starting to pay off, no Reggae so far, but one or two gems and a stack of okay stuff so far this year.

black sheriff likes this.
  19. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I didn't ask because our conversation was so brief but I have asked several Jamaican co-workers and the occasional neighbor. Not much luck for Reggae but I have gotten some great Rock LPs from others that I've asked over the years.

Dubmart likes this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Dubmart likes this.
  21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You've gotten great recs so far, really can't go wrong. Additional suggestion would be picking up the individual releases that the Reggae Greats comp is composed of; those Black Ark solo records from Junior Murvin, Max Romeo, George Faith, Heptones, etc. which I think can all be found on Island Records (or Mango) and should share that same sound quality.

bmoregnr and Dubmart like this.
  22. StephenMarsh

StephenMarsh Forum Resident

uzn007 and Imagine70 like this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I was not sure if it had been mentioned as I did not read this entire thread but after you have filled out your Marley, Tosh, Spear, Steel Pulse, and Jimmy Cliff collection definitely check out the This Is Reggae Music series vol. 1-3 compilations. I recently picked these up and have been blown away by the content and quality. Seriously amazing and essential reggae stuff! My highest recommendation!

24. Creole Gris-Gris

Creole Gris-Gris Shoe-String Budget Audiophile

Hey just want to throw a couple albums and a comp down:
    [​IMG]
    ^^^
    Very easily one of the best comps in roots reggae you can ever purchase. The Heptones, Max Romeo, the Congos, Prince Murvin the list goes on..

From there the last three Black Ark Musicians I mentioned have very awesome debuts. but out of the three:
    [​IMG]
    ^^^^^^
    This one is very tough to get, but if you're able to put up the money to nab this one with yellow painted edges, your getting the 1977 original mix from Black Ark. Last time I checked this sold for $1100.00 on discogs. Its expensive because this was the first mix to be sent off to island records before it was rejected by Chris Blackwell. At this point Bob Marley was exploding with popularity and island records at the time wasn't really interest in any other sound but bob and no matter how many times Lee Perry went back to the drawing board with this record, adding echos and cow noises, island records wouldn't accept it. VP records did a 40th anniversary of this record which does have the 1977 original mix but the highs on the albums are so high by the time you get through a couple songs you ears feel discomfort, so beware.

The better one to go with is the Blood and Fire release of this album. Very little drop outs of audio and some extras.

With that all said couple of Joe Gibbs release I like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^^^^
    Solid stuff here both Prince Far I and Culture's Two Sevens Clash

Enjoy!

bluejimbop, Imagine70, scotth and 2 others like this.
  25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

So the VP is very differently mastered compared to the Blood & Fire? Are the common tracks for the main program (the first two discs, not the original mix) the same versions as the B&F (meaning they are the same lenght)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.