Reign Over Me

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gotityet0, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I stumbled across this movie on Netflix and the wife and I both enjoyed it

gotityet0 likes this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I dig some of Adam's early comedies, but yeah, they really became phoned in and just horrible after a while, and it was so grating to see him trying to keep his manchild act going when he was in his forties, it just became sad.
    Speaking of this film, yes, I watched it on TV one time, and I was pleasantly surprised, particularly with Adam, who is a genuine Woobie in this film, way more pathos than you'd expect from Adam Sandler, and yeah, I wish he'd branch out into drama more, especially now.

GodShifter and gotityet0 like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I HATE Adam Sandler so I refuse to see this.

4. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut Thread Starter

you don't know what your missing:shrug: but that's :cool:

his comedy flicks do nothing for me

5. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Punch Drunk Love was excellent.

I think Funny People could have been good if the ending I have in mind happened. I think AS could have pulled it off too.

Dan C and gotityet0 like this.
  6. gotityet0

Bumb

7. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I don't like Adam Sandler very much, as a rule, but these three films I thought were pretty good.
    If he made more like this I might watch them.

Dr. Funk and gotityet0 like this.
  8. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

The trailer looks good. I laughed out loud at the shower scene when Adam's character was faced with having to take the shoes off when he knows he can't. Can't wait to see what happens next. I have the movie queued for future viewing.

And I too really enjoyed Reign Over Me. Demonstrates that Adam Sandler can act when he wants to.

gotityet0 likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yes, Reign Over Me and The Cobbler are pretty good movies. The Cobbler is funny when it needs to be without being silly.

gotityet0 likes this.
  10. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Believe me, I understand that completely! But although he is the star of this film, it is NOT an "Adam Sandler movie". In Reign Over me, he tackles a serious role seriously, and if you saw this film and didn't know anything else about him, you would never guess that he is a (poor) comedian. I saw this film when it was released (in a theater), and it was difficult to believe that it was Adam Sandler up there, his acting was so good, and so unlike the crap he gets paid millions of dollars to do.
    Don't even see it to see if Adam Sandler can act, see it because it's a very good film that addresses difficult subjects -- death, loss, grief, survivor guilt, anger, PTSD. If Sandler had hammed it up like you know he's capable of doing, this would have been an awful movie, but he didn't do that. Don Cheadle and the rest of the cast also put in top-notch work, and I want to mention Saffron Burrows here because no one else has yet.

11. gotityet0

well said

groundharp likes this.
  12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I accidentally came across this movie when it aired recently on the local PBS station. I was not aware of it before. I thought it was a very good film with excellent performances all around, especially Sandler. As someone who had to deal directly with the 9/11 death toll for several months in 2001 I found it particularly affecting. It brought some life to those thousands of otherwise impersonal folders with names on them that often made me feel a bit like the typists in Saving Private Ryan (at about the 0:25 mark, if you don't recall the scene).

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sandler is also excellent in the currently in theaters Uncut Gems.

No interest in seeing his comedies, but he has turned out to be an excellent dramatic actor.

peopleareleaving and misterjones like this.
  14. misterjones

I previously avoided him like the plague. His routines on SNL were painful to watch. Merely not funny would have been a better experience. The promos for his "comedies" served to confirm this view. But now I will make affirmative efforts to seek out his more serious stuff.

Sometimes the clowns make the best serious actors. I felt somewhat the same way about Robin Williams. I did like his comedy, but he was much better when restrained and more serious (e.g., Dead Poet's Society).

15. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

@gotityet0 Greatest click bait title on the forum.

I thought this was Who related, and saw Adam Sand—, and immediately stopped reading.

16. Chris DeVoe

I hope you enjoy them. He quite seriously could get a Best Actor nomination for Uncut Gems.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have you seen the movie?

18. misterjones

I can't say I'm familiar enough with Mr. Sand's work to have such an immediate, negative reaction.

Adam Sand - IMDb

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. misterjones

Though I must admit I'm intrigued by The Night I F'd the Lamp.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I just saw it today. What a fantastic performance from Mr. Sandler !

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I saw Uncut Gems. It just got added to Netflix. Its pretty good but there’s some serious issues with the sound. It was way too loud.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

This is the movie where we discovered that if you give Adam Sandler Bob Dylan’s hair, he looks remarkably like Bob Dylan. Here’s an old thread about the movie:

Adam Sandler Is Bob Dylan

gotityet0 likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

He really should play Dylan in a biopic. He has enough instrumental and singing skills to be able to pull it off, and he is at the age where they could make him young enough to play the early parts of his career, and age him with make up to play older.

gotityet0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.