releases from the 2000's that are out of print

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phillyal1, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agree.
    My initial post was basically about CDs from the late Nineties-2000 to 2010 from major artists that are no longer in print, and the only way to obtain them would be as used product.
    e.g I bought a Charlie Hunter CD at the Dollar store the other day -- obviously a cut out. Is his catalog in print, or all cut out ? Think he was on Blue Note and Ropeadope ?

octophone likes this.
  2. phillyal1

Ryko had a lot of world music releases like Mickey Hart, Olatunji, Mouth Music, etc. -- they must all be out of print ?

3. phillyal1

the late Philly singer Robert Hazard had a final CD called Troubadour? released on Ryko. I am sure that is out of print. His 2 RCA releases never even made it to CD I think.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Emma Hewitt-Burn The Sky Down, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. c-eling

Shiny Toy Guns-We Are Pilots V1/V2, 2005
    V3 2x12, 2006
    [​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I am an old Grateful Dead fan who left the party for decades only to have returned in the last year. I went on a live concert buying spree after discovering so many 2000 live releases are apparently out of print. I decided “better buy now or pay the scalpers”.

Kelby A. Thomas likes this.
  7. c-eling

Monaco-S/T, 2000
    Syntax-Meccano Mind, 2003
    [​IMG]

8. c-eling

Marsheaux goes oop fast for hard copies.
    Inhale, 2013/2014
    Canadian has a few exclusive extended mixes
    [​IMG]

9. phillyal1

I wonder if a lot of electronica/trip hop releases from the early 2000 are all out of print. Bands like Mono, Morcheeba, etc.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

Good possibility.
    NUN-Sunlight, 2006
    And even the Sony released Mohini Geisweiller-Event Horizon, 2011
    [​IMG]

11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Not just vinyl and not just 2000s. A majority of all records, either LP or CD, only had one pressing (sometimes at multiple plants, but still only one run), because they didn't sell enough copies to justify a second run. Albums that sell well enough to get re-pressed have always been in the minority.

ARK, ted321 and c-eling like this.
  12. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

This thread could go for 100 pages if people simply list CD releases that are now "out of print," because, guess what? The industry has moved on to streaming, CD sales are a blip, and almost no major artist (except possibly Taylor Swift) values the format anymore. So technically, almost any big release from 5 or 10 years ago (or even 2 months) is now "out of print" on CD, but that doesn't mean you're gonna pay big money for it, unless you need shrink wrap around your shiny disc. [Extreme example: Gin Blossoms' New Miserable Experience from 1993 hasn't been pressed on CD in over a decade, but you can literally buy copies for pennies plus shipping, and probably will for a LONG time.]

I would much rather focus on vinyl releases, specifically ones from BIG artists that are weirdly out-of-print now, and going for stupid money. (Or possibly CD releases where even a used copy will now set you back $50 or more.) That seems like a better avenue to explore. To wit:

Daft Punk - all releases except Random Access Memories [Now that they're officially broken up, prices for the French robot duo have skyrocketed, because their catalog's not being repressed for some reason? I recently sold Discovery, which retailed for $20 since 2014, for north of $200. Prices for the other albums are creeping up too. Even their side projects, like the Stardust 12", are starting to go for $100.]
    Daft Punk – Discovery (2014, Vinyl)

Taylor Swift - 1989, Red, Reputation [Maybe it's because of the dispute over her masters, but it seems baffling that the biggest artist of the 21st century has most of her back catalog OOP in the only format still selling. 1989 and Red are both going for $75 for the standard editions, and you don't want to know about the colored editions. Meanwhile, the orange Reputation--the only non-picture disc of that album ever issued--is on pace to top $1000 pretty soon.]
    [NO I'm not making that up.... Taylor Swift – Reputation (2017, Orange Translucent, Vinyl) ]

Frank Ocean - Hip-hop vinyl is big now, Frank is one of hip-hop's most acclaimed artists, but he does NOT make it easy. The early albums exist only as bootlegs, the most recent releases have been singles only released through his website, and his 2016 masterpiece Blonde is, well, a little insane now for pricing....
    Frank Ocean – Blond (2016, Vinyl)
    [Side note: HERE'S an example of a CD release that is OOP and has the pricing to prove it! This is what happens when you sell your physical product for one day only:
    Frank Ocean – Blonde (2016, Reprint, CD) ]

There's tons of other smaller artists whose 2000-era vinyl releases are now topping $200--including Solange, Sky Ferreria, and Josh Rouse--but the above is a good starter list and hopefully gets the ball rolling!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  13. phillyal1

I just found the Born To Choose CD the other day -- probably won't be reissued, you are right.

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Just went through the headache of trying to find a copy of this one.

2001 release, Blue Oyster Cult's "Curse Of The Hidden Mirror." Small print run, was even re-released last year (in Europe only, however) and that seems to be out of print as well.

Finally snagged the 2020 re-release on discogs, but yeah. Geez. Curse of the Hidden Mirror from 2001. Big time OOP.

phillyal1 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  15. phillyal1

Are any of Garland Jeffries CDs from the 1990's on still in print ?-- maybe his self released ones

16. phillyal1

When I say in print -- example, if a chain like FYE -- still around but pretty sad -- wanted to order a CD from a distributor, could they get it.?

altaeria likes this.
  17. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

On vinyl "The Sophtware Slump".

18. phillyal1

A 4 lp deluxe edition was released in 2020. But I am sure most of the Grandaddy catalog is out of print on CD.

19. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I mean a standard vinyl release, not interested in expensive box sets.

phillyal1 likes this.
  20. phillyal1

Not sure I agree with this if you are talking CDs. Columbia would just put a sticker over the catalog number and reprice it. So if you were a store ordering the catalogue releases of Blue Oyster Cult or Cheap Trick for example, they could be bought as a lower price point.
    Other labels like Warners cut things out fast, the best example being the Fred Schneider (of the B52s) solo albums which were DOA sales-wise.

21. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Things may have been different in the US but in the UK, seeing discounted copies of an album on CD meant either that it had bombed and unsold copies were cluttering up the warehouse or that it was about to be reissued, expanded etc (or that the licence had run out if it was already a reissue).
    Now, it's harder to call because some albums have such a limited physical presence or even none at all - Bo Burnham just did 10 weeks in the UK Top 20 Albums with no physical formats, although that's a bit of an exception.

phillyal1 likes this.
  22. phillyal1

I see that some of Paul Weller's solo recordings are being reissued here in the USA. I would bet most of his solo recordings from 2010 back are out of print. Whenever I see one in the used shops I grab it.

23. phillyal1

I thin that someone in another thread mentioned the Judee Sill rarities cd Dreams Come True as being out of print.

Also, are the US releases by Stereolab and the High Llamas from the Nineties -2000 still in print on cd -- know that a few vinyl re-releases have shown up recently.

Sander likes this.
  24. phillyal1

I will bet that all the Patti Scialfa (Mrs. Boss) solo CD releases are out of print. They are not bad records-- she can write songs, even though they seem a little derivative.

25. phillyal1

bump

Dave 81828384 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.