Reloop Om Black to Ortofon Stylus pro or om 10 ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gasolin, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a Reloop 2000mk2 a wanna be Technics sl 1210 and i like it.

For the price very good, i use pathe wings mat and recently bought a turntable shelf

Now i wanted to upgrade my cartridge (should be an upgrade, not just a new cartridge), i have an Reloop Om Black which is made by ortofon https://www.reloop.com/reloop-om-black i desided i didn't wanted to pay to much, it's not by any means a high end turntable but i like it, it has a comfortable sound, 40 euros with shipping for the stylus, i choose a Ortofon Stylus Pro Stylus Pro it's compatible with the Om Black so upgrading takes only a minut.

Theres some difference in the specs but when i come to think of it, i wonder if despite double recommeded tracking force (2 vs 4 gr) and Output voltage being 5 mV instead of 4 mV, if it's really an upgrade.

I wanted to have a more airy and transparent highs

Should i have bought an om 10 although it's more than i wanted to spent on a cartridge?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You could have bought a Stylus 10, and basically made an OM 10 out of it with a stylus change.

Vinny123 and ShallowMemory like this.
  3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That "Stylus Pro" stylus is not an upgrade, over what you have, for an audiophile. The Stylus Pro is intended for DJs, that is why is has 4 grams recommended tracking force. It likely has about the same, or very slightly, worse sound than what you already have. I think your "Reloop OM Black" is essentially an OM5S (notice OM5S not OM5E), which is tough to find and buy under the OM5S name, but they mostly make it to be sold under other names, like the Reloop OM Black. You can compare the two on these two pages.

https://www.reloop.com/reloop-om-black
    OM 5S

As @McLover notes, just the OM10 stylus alone would fit your "Reloop by Ortofon" cart perfectly and give you a somewhat noticeable upgrade. That's an upgrade elliptical stylus tracking around 2 grams. It would have somewhat better highs and somewhat better tracking.

It looks like you bought the 'Stylus Pro" stylus only. Cancel it, or don't open it, return it, and get an OM10 stylus alone for a real upgrade. Or the Stylus 5E, which could cost a bit less than the OM10 stylus. Both of these are elliptical. You also could use the OM20, OM30, or OM40 stylus. (Which they call "Stylus 10" and "Stylus 20" and "Stylus 30" and "Stylus 40".) Whichever, going up the line, fits your budget best.

McLover likes this.
  4. gasolin

There a price difference and didn't find any on sale for a good price

5. gasolin

looks like theres a diffrence

Pro Stylus

Output voltage at 1000Hz, 5cm/sec. - 5 mV
    Channel balance at 1kHz - 1,5 dB
    Channel separation at 1kHz - 20 dB
    Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
    Frequency range at -3dB - 20-20.000 Hz
    Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz +3/-2 dB
    Tracking ability at 315 Hz at recommmende tracking force - 70 μm
    Compliance, dynamic lateral - 7 μm/m N

OM 5s

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4.5 mV
    Channel balance at 1 kHz - 2 dB
    Channel separation at 1 kHz - 20 dB
    Channel separation at 15 kHz - 12 dB
    Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-20.000 Hz
    Frequency response - 20-22.000 Hz
    Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force *) - 60 µm
    Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN

I don't know about the OM 1S But the OM 10 they don't make any more only the styulus and theres not so many specs

Stylus 10
    Frequency range: 20-24.000 Hz
    Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
    Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force*): 70 µm
    Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 25 µm/mN

OM 10 specs (thomann.de) at thomann i can get a whole Ortofon om 10 for the same price as the stylus 10 normally costs
    • Output voltage in mV 4.0
    • Frequency range 20 - 20,000 Hz
    • Pickup system for hi-fi turntable
    • Cartridge type: MM (moving magnet)
    • Recommended tonearm type: Very light to medium heavy
    • Stylus type: Elliptical
    • Tip radius: r/R 8/18 µm
    • Tracking force: 15 mN (1.5 g)
    • Tracking force range: 12.5 - 17.5 µN (1.25 - 1.75 g)
    • Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force of 70 µm
    • Channel separation at 1 kHz: 2 dB
    • Amplifier connector: Phono MM / 47 kOhm
    • Frequency range: 20 - 20,000 Hz
    • Crosstalk attenuation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
    • Crosstalk attenuation at 1 kHz: 22 dB
    • Recommended load capacitance: 200 - 600 pF
    • Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
    • Compliance: 25 µm/mN

OM 1S

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4.5 mV
    Channel balance at 1 kHz - 2 dB
    Channel separation at 1 kHz - 20 dB
    Channel separation at 15 kHz - 12 dB
    Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-20.000 Hz
    Frequency response - 20-22.000 Hz
    Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force *) - 60 µm
    Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN

So what is the difference Between stylus 1s and 10?

6. gasolin

Canceled my order, what to buy the, the stylus 10 ?

Is the stylus 10 the only cheap option?

7. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The 10 stylus is the cheapest decent option you have and is pretty good. so I'd start there. The next up is the 20 which is a Nude elliptical which will set you back around £125 thru 150 but as user of I would say is really really good but you can always consider an upgrade later to one as funds permit as it is literally a matter of pulling off the 10 and pushing on the 20 which can be done insitu.

8. gasolin

I know you can use a Digitrac 200 NE cartridge/stylus but i couldn't finde one

Ortofon OM Series cartridge question (Super vs OM or OMB)

I bought a Stylus 10

Now i just have to consider if i want a cheap turntabel clamp,(if it makes a differnce) just don't want the ClearAudio Clever Clamp.

I don't think i ever would use an om 20 for my reloop 2000mk2 , it would make more sense to buy a new turntable and something cheaper then an om 20

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Stylus 10 costs more. If that's too much money, a Stylus 5 is a good alternative or the Stylus 1s for a HiFi conical with better compliance and lighter tracking.

10. gasolin

NO NO NO NO NO NOT when #3 say a Reloop OM Black might be a Ortofon OM 5 S

I think your "Reloop OM Black" is essentially an OM5S (notice OM5S not OM5E), which is tough to find and buy under the OM5S name, but they mostly make it to be sold under other names, like the Reloop OM Black.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It's a stylus upgrade. Not the whole cartridge. I use my Ortofon OM based cartridges with several different stylus options. Stylus 5 I was mentioning was the one for the OM5e. Stylus 5 (the new conical is on par with the OM1s. Both the conicals beat the DJ ones they offer, track around 1.8 grams, much better for HiFi purposes. There's many an option for anything Ortofon OM in the stylus department from heavy duty basic DJ to audiophile. A reason why I keep one mounted in a headshell, aligned and ready to go and a selection of styli for all my record needs, from 1948-1949 mono LP and 45, all the way to modern audiophile high end.

JohnO, Curiosity and gasolin like this.
  12. gasolin

One thing that annoys is that there isn't really something between an om 10 and om 20, i mean an om 20 cost 3 times as much as an om 10

Get 1 x om 20 stylus or 3 x om 10 stylus for the same price

cjc likes this.
  13. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

If you want to try a "cheap turntable clamp", try a 3 or 4 cm office paper clamp like this
    [​IMG]
    tight on the record label on the spindle, with a piece of felt or thin cardboard to protect the record label. That will give most of the effect of a record clamp for under (hopefully) €1.

There is this inexpensive aftermarket OM10 elliptical replacement stylus
    NEW CONCORD STYLUS NEEDLE OM10 OM-10 OMP10 OMP-10 | eBay
    this is made by TEI/Normarh in Columbia and shipped from Florida, USA. Now I do not have this one, but I have other styli made by TEI and they are very nice.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Quality is not cheap. Ortofon cartridges and tonearms have always been premium options in their class. Plus, cartridges and styli of quality in today's market are not inexpensive.

cjc likes this.
  15. gasolin

I think i will settle with an om 10 stylus as the best, normaly i don't change cartridge that often.

Last turntable i had for a long time was a rega turntabel with a rega carbon i had for 2½ years and never replaced the stylus.

Now with a good mat (pathe wings, combination of rubber and cork) and a basic turntable shelf, i am at a point where it could make sense to uppgrade my cartridge, although the sound is very comfortable i want a more clear,airy top

Vinny123 and JohnO like this.
  16. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I stuck an om10 stylus on my om5 cartridge. Nice, easy improvement. Took about 2 minutes to install. Plug and play.

JohnO and gasolin like this.
  17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Good. I apologize for confusing the issue with that aftermarket stylus, and I withdraw that.
    You should get the genuine OM10 "Stylus 10". That will give you the nice easy and genuine improvement that @Vinny123 and @McLover (and me) noted.

18. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

My experience is that the om10 stylus will give you a more of an airy top end. I got it for $60 fr Amazon a couple of months ago. Nice little upgrade.

19. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I bought the Ortofon Super OM 10 last year and I'm very happy with my purchase. When the stylus wears out, I may probably get another OM10 stylus.

20. gasolin

Waiting ro the stylus to arrive

21. gasolin

The stylus has arrived

Slightly or almost no improvements in the highs, the bass is stronger with a midrange that is easy to listen to without any shouting or agressivness 2 gr tracing force, have to adjust it

22. gasolin

1.5gr it sounds less bassy, a bit tighter, highs sound a little less refined like new speakers, generally a bit more space, depth in the midrange

23. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Give it a good 25 hours of playing time to have it break in. Separation should improve too. Break in for a new stylus is real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.