Remastered Pet Sounds CD on Feb 10

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ivor, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Oops.. something didn't work there. You appear to have posted a link to the file on your computer (C:\Documents and Settings\default\My Documents\My Pictures\ps.jpg).

You'll need to upload it somewhere for us to see it (and now you've got me curious! :D).

2. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

ARGH!! Let me try this again. :realmad:

It's really nothing special.

[​IMG]

3. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

Of course we don't need any more reissues. But guess why this is happening? Well, the answer is obvious. "Pet Sounds" never was a huge seller until rather recently, and this is in some ways a result of the cumulative effect of the reissues Capitol has done. So, guess what? They are going to reissue it and reissue it until they have determined that the reissue campaign is no longer boosting sales. Simple enough. And for those of us lucky enough to have the DCC version, who cares anyway? For those who don't....better get it soon before it goes up in price even more. After all, no version is ever likely to equal this one.

4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

FWIW, I couldn't find mention of this on either Capitol's or Brian Wilson's website.

5. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Pet Sounds is still high priced.
    Maybe the 'reissue' is only a new pressing of the same CD for the mid-priced range?

Martin

6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

What would be cool is if Capitol used Steve's DCC version for their "new" remaster. How would that work? Would Captiol be able to do this since the album was licensed to DCC or would Steve have to re-do his work? :confused:

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It can't happen because the parts are unusable now.

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

But isn't it so ironic that they just keep ignoring tinkering with infinite possibilities with their MUUUUUUCH more anticipated follow-up project, uh, what's it called, "GRiN" or something?...

9. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Why not? I mean, they couldn't for obvious licensing reasons, but one could just rip the audio from the DCC disc (yes, it would sound the same).

10. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

The sound of a dead horse being flogged.

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Album needs to be kept in print. If they delete the previous 2001 issue- then I see no problem here.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've read the reviews and best-of lists, listened to my DCC gold disc dozens of times, acknowledged the kudos from people whose taste I trust (including forum members), and you know what? I still don't think this is a great album.

There's some great singles on it, of course, but the rest is dinky-sounding filler, about as appetizing and nutritious as a week-old puff pastry. I'll keep the gold disc for those singles not on ENDLESS SUMMER or SPIRIT OF AMERICA, but I think it pales -- and I use that word advisedly, since the R&B that grounds those harmonies on the aforementioned comps is wholly absent on PET SOUNDS -- in comparison to the earlier stuff.

13. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Now I know why they call you "Offending Member"! :eek:

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The twofer I sprang for (not the 2001 one) sounds noticeably better to my ears than the original CD issue.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Many people feel this way about Pet Sounds. It IS loaded with dinky-sounding filler if listened to in search of rockin', happy Surf music.

However---

It can't be compared to the rest of the BB's canon. This is a unique album that has to be judged more or less on the talents of one Brian Wilson. What was going through his mind at the time? He had a vision, and whether one agrees with it or not, it's a unique album...

16. Mike V

Mike V New Member

This one took a long time to grow on me. I just didn't get it at first.

But I believe a forum member mentioned something about "getting" Dylan's Blood On The Tracks, especially at a low point when you needed it most it would resonate and you wouldn't be able to let it go... You Still Believe In Me is a standout track for me that never really gets mentioned as a favorite, but for me, it means a lot and is pure genius from start to finish. That was the first track that really sucked me in to Pet Sounds, beyond the obvious picks anyway. Even the goofy car horn sound at the end is cool, in that it (for me) lightens up the really heavy mood, and it's just playfully humorous juxtaposed with the rest of the track.

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Why keep it if you only want it for the singles not on other comps? Why not contribute to the "Brad Needs The DCC Pet Sounds Foundation?" :D

18. here's a guess

the 'new' remaster is likely the DVD-A just placed on a hybrid SACD. DVD-A sales are so low, they want to maximise sales on their remastering project.

My favourite track on this lp is "Dont Talk". I like this record a lot, it's really moody.

19. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

That's actually in the room at Capitol where folks think up new Beatle related releases.

20. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Re: here's a guess

????

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They converted the DVD-A master to DSD is what he is theorizing, rather than re-do the thing again...

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I guess that I don't like the album because I don't like unfiltered Brian Wilson. It all seems so slight and self-absorbed, without the musical generosity of those Chuck Berry rhythms or Phil Spector arrangements to pull the listener in.

I do consider ENDLESS SUMMER one of the great albums of all time, so it's not as if I'm immune to Brian Wilson's talents. I keep the PET SOUNDS gold disc in hopes of one day getting it, along with Love's FOREVER CHANGES, another great album I don't yet appreciate.

23. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I understood what was being theorized, I just thought that it highly unlikely since Capitol isn't really issuing too many SACDs these days (or DVD-As for that matter).

By the way, the latest ICE (which is a bit more accurate than musictap) shows nothing about another Pet Sounds being reissued - at least in feb.

24. skery

skery Forum Resident

It's been described as a DualDisc by MusicTap, as is the rerelease of Document by REM and Crowded House's first record... No word yet on what a DualDisc is... unless that's the SACD speculation above, but no mention of that anywhere I've seen.

MusicTap

25. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

DVD-A on one side, CD on the other disc? Or maybe a 2-disc package like the Flaming Lips DVD-A?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.