Remastering that isn't any better and is sometimes worse

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hate to bring it up again,but there's,what,FIVE(?)Who's Next cds now?And we all know which was the best one.....

2. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

I 've got to agree with you...it sounds pretty good to me. "Thats entertainment" especially!
    I have the Jam box too and might have a listen to that as well. From memory it didnt sound too bad but it's been a while...

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Ok, received the Hip-O Compact Snap!, and it's remastered by Gavin Lurssen at the Mastering Lab, who also did the Sound of the Jam compilation, and so far sound seems to be fairly good, it maybe somewhat compressed, but in a "big" analog type of compression, not a maximized approach. Packaging is very nice, but is in a odd size book type format, but very nicely done.

Whether it's worth $50.00 or not will depend on how you feel about the Jam ... for me it was an instant buy.

4. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. I like the Jam, but I'll give my old cd (and lp) another spin to hear if the sound is as unpleasant as I remember. If so, Hip-O for me!

Stephen

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that this is very interesting.

6. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

"With George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, I felt there were complete bands of frequencies totally missing because it had been bounced on eight-track three or four times, with slightly faulty line-ups. Everything around 5k was just not there, even though Phil Spector had probably been adding tons of it every time he bounced because he loved that area so much. So sometimes you just have to get radical with it, but in that instance I could dial in a great big peak and it made no difference at all, because there was just nothing there for it to work on. I had to make it wider and work with what was there on either side of the hole! All Things Must Pass was possibly the most challenging thing I've done — just the amount of hiss on it was overwhelming."

Quote from that article. Will we never hear a decent All Things Must Pass ?

7. Paddy

Paddy New Member

Joe Jackson "Body And Soul", the first issue sounded fine, the remaster was mastered to death. That these things happen to even sonically and artistically great recordings like this is a tragedy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.