Remasters that dramatically improved on the original Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by djnathan7, Jul 28, 2020.

1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

'Like' = I agree.

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Beck’s Sea Change on MFSL.

jvmjr, Swansong, Squad 701 and 9 others like this.
  3. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

ZZ Top - The digital HD collection
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Marillion - Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws HD
    Led Zepppelin - The Davis' Remasters HD
    Kate Bush - Box Set HD
    Dire Straits - MoFi's Brothers in Arms And Dire Straits
    CCR - The HD series by our host

Swansong, dom91932, TimB and 4 others like this.
  4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The first remaster that made me say "Wow!" was the Simon & Garfunkel "Old Friends" box set. Scarborough Fair never sounded so wonderful. It has since been surpassed by the MFSL SACD of Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme, but the original Simon & Garfunkel remasters are still a great way to listen to some of the best music ever created.

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Tubes was talking about the LP.

6. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

The 2000-era John Lennon remixes

7. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

KISS - Hotter Than Hell, the 2014 remaster. It's probably as good as it can get for that album, without complete remixing (and even that can only do so much).

I think certain tracks on The Beatles Past Masters remaster are a big improvement, like "She Loves You", "This Boy", "Sie Liebt Dich", and "Get Back".

Swansong, Ivand and DPM like this.
  8. c-eling

I was quite impressed with this one as well Good Trip :righton:

9. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Byrds 1996 Inglot
    Stones 2002

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The recent reissue of Gong's Flying Teapot was a revelation, like night and day. I never fully appreciated that album until now.

The last round of Zappa remasters was a vast improvement over the old Rykos all around.

The Madfish remasters of Family's catalog are vastly superior to the old Mystic editions, which were ruined by no-noise. It sounds like a blanket was removed from my speakers.

11. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

There was a Raspberries Greatest Hits CD released around 2000 that got pulled very quickly from distribution although some copies from the BMG Music Club did make it out. There were the same bonus tracks that are included on the 2016 Japanese remaster of the 1st album. The demo of I Saw The Light is very distorted on that CD too. So obviously it's baked on the master.

[​IMG]

Mal likes this.
  12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The Steven Wilson remix and remastering of 'Chicago II'.

Swansong, mpayan, hiterss and 12 others like this.
  13. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

The remastered Peter Gabriel US CD sounds far superior to the original release.

Swansong, MichaelH, GowG and 6 others like this.
  14. In what way? I could really get into some Devo remasters that weren't squashed. The original CD pressings sound mostly brittle.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wasn't he partially deaf by 2009? :)

I don't have many of the 2009 CDs because I don't like rebuying the same albums over and over again, but I didn't like the 2009 Abbey Road much. I also can't hear anything wrong with the 1987 Let It Be, White Album, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road CDs. It's the packaging that was terrible! I don't like the earlier mono 1987s much or Past Masters One.

Kundalini, limoges, Carlox and 6 others like this.
  16. c-eling

6 has ridiculed/slammed a few of us in the past. I just let him enjoy his garbage :D
    Luckily we all have options for our tastes :)

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know or hadn't noticed. Oh well!

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I realised that I hadn't compared the EMI 1994 Four Donovan Originals version of the album to the EMI 2005. Turns out that it seems to use the same masters - including the correct speed "Museum". However, the top end is rather dull and I think the 2005 is the better of the two.

I had checked "Museum" from the 2005 EMI against the verision on Try For The Sun and figured that they would have used the best source for the box had it been available (it has the sped up processed version).

What I hadn't twigged was that the processed version of the album (including the sped up "Museum") is what EPIC have. So, SONY/EPIC reissues (including the Try For The Sun box) use the inferior tapes whereas the EMI re-issues use the better tapes.

I guess the original PYE Sunshine Superman LP that contained material issued on the first two EPIC LPs would likely have been made from the original unprocessed masters. The BGO reissue seems to bear this out although again, it's not a match for the same tracks on the 2005 Mellow Yellow.

19. eclecticfiend

eclecticfiend wavy air aficionado

Basically just made it a little less brittle and bass less thin. It’s a sonically flawed album down to the mix unfortunately but the remaster definitely helped.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

This is the Legacy set, right? Is this LP only or did they make a CD set as well with the same mastering?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  21. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I have to disagree regarding the U2 remasters, especially on vinyl. There’s more low end but the overall sound is less aggressive where it otherwise should be. The difference is pretty minor and on some albums on a track by track comparison, some songs such as “Exit” *are* an improvement over the original CD releases.

One series off the top of my head that is a clear improvement over the original CD releases was the 2006 reissues of Killing Jokes first 7 albums.

22. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Oasis.

Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory.

Rob6899 and eclecticfiend like this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They remastered all of the albums for it.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

MFSL knocked it out of the park with the Best Of album, though it’s on vinyl only. Even Eric is on record as saying he doesn’t like the sound of their very over processed albums. If you do vinyl I highly recommend the MFSL as a one shot way of getting all their hits sounding terrific. I agree Go All the Way sounds great in that clip and as good as the MFSL is, I think this is better. That album was recently reissued on vinyl so I hope they used the same tape...will give it a go. Wish their albums were better though, pretty uneven which is why I like the hits album.

25. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I mean, does the CD box set have the same mastering as the LPs, or is it en-loud-inated for digital?

sotosound likes this.