Remembering Dave Dexter Jr. On The 30th Anniversary Of His Passing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by schnitzerphilip, Apr 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

She had a piano named after her. I don't think the Beatles even managed that feat....

2. Jose Jones

I wonder if Capitol had offered to double their eventual 1967 royalty rate, in exchange for letting Dave Dexter compile their USA albums as he saw fit, if they would have signed that contract.....

3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Let's review Capitol's 1950s/early 1960s roster:

Just for starters:

Frank Sinatra
    Nat King Cole
    Peggy Lee
    June Christy
    Louis Prima and Keely Smith
    Stan Kenton
    Duke Ellington
    Thee Great Les Baxter
    Nelson Riddle
    Billy May
    Howard Roberts
    Nancy Wilson
    Wanda Jackson
    Gene Vincent
    The Louvin Brothers
    The Beach Boys

Oh, and my beloved Mr. Gasser and the Weirdos.

You are entitled to like what you like, but I will choose that catalog over Freddie and the Dreamers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, and Billy J Kramer. The latter clash with my decor and choice of cocktails.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
  4. Jose Jones

You omitted their biggest act of the late 50s/early 60s---The Kingston Trio. :) Have a Scotch & Soda now....

5. ShockControl

I don't drink Monday through Thursday, but I will do so this weekend. :righton:

The Beave likes this.
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Dexter didn't need a whole stable of British Invasion acts to pander to; they all found other labels - the same labels that took a pass on The Beatles. They all had a chance. And none of those bands were anything near the success that The Beatles were. Dave had his hands full with that lot... And that Lennon guy.

getitgoin and ShockControl like this.
  7. ShockControl

Easy to criticize with 55+ years' worth of hindsight, isn't it? It is like playing the stock market.

notesfrom likes this.
  8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Actually he was criticized and that's why he was "moved to a lateral position"

Shaker Steve likes this.
  9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Thank the lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaker Steve likes this.
  10. ShockControl

Good for him. Going from Sinatra singing Rodgers & Hart to skinny Brits singing "Do the Freddie" would have been a demotion in and of itself.

11. Detroit Rock Citizen

he actually signed Freddie and the Dreamers and Sinatra left...

Shaker Steve likes this.
  12. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Reading your list, I have to say, so what? Frank Sinatra had left in 61 & how many of the others, except the Beach Boys were making serious money for Capitol? Dexter cost the company millions by rejecting all the British Invasion acts. All down to his hatred of pop music.

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Well, he did produce nine (#9) Beatles Capitol albums within two hothouse years... His work was done.

schnitzerphilip and ShockControl like this.
  14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Didn't matter. Capitol had The Beatles.

Shaker Steve and schnitzerphilip like this.
  15. ShockControl

No, it's all down to his not being a psychic. He wasn't about to bet his reputation on what may have been a passing fad. If you were in his shoes, you probably would have done the same.

Easy for all of us to point and laugh with 55+ years' worth of hindsight, isn't it?

Oh, and aside from the Beatles, those first-wave British acts have not aged as well as the majority of Capitol's core 1950s roster.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    getitgoin and MitchLT like this.
  16. ShockControl

I know. Things had gotten that bad. Imagine living in mid-century splendor, with a liquor cabinet stocked with top-shelf scotch, and your life's work was going to hell with Freddie and the Dreamers.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  17. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

:laughup::laughup::laughup:

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yardbirds, Hollies, Manfred Mann, Dave Clark Five, Animals, Herman's Hermits...
    Didn't they sell a couple of records in the 60s?

Sidewinder43 and Shaker Steve like this.
  19. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Great link thanks! Just read the ‘EMI - Capitol Resume’ report. Pretty interesting, shows how short people’s memories always are: clearly Dave Dexter was doing diligent job by the standards of the day

20. Shaker Steve

Laughable, of course he needed that British Stable. He could have had them all for nothing, they were EMI artists. It took Capitol two years to realise just how much he had lost them, they then moved him to another job instead of sacking him.

21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Now you're advocating for Dexter to wreak production havoc on a whole generation of British bands' sacrosanct albums and singles. Do we really want him rearranging those bands' classic albums? The outrage from fans 55 years later wouldn't be worth it.

22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

None of those bands mentioned even have one Platinum album in the US. Capitol should have definitely jumped on Herman's Hermits, though, for cultural value alone. Too late.

23. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I finally realized that for my mileage, Dave Dexter’s duophonic stereo “Yes It Is” is the only way to hear that song. For me, the added reverb helps the vocal harmonies congeal, and elevates it from a skippable track to a treasured listening experience.

24. Shaker Steve

Our host describes a Capitol execs meeting that called the Beatles tapes terrible. Within 12 months those self same execs were all wearing Beatle wigs. They were all middle aged men with no understanding of what was about to hit them, music wise.

25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Nothing that Dave couldn’t fix in post production and make palatable to the American masses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.