Remembering...FOGHAT

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kieran White, Jul 14, 2021.

1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The 1st Foghat album was produced by Dave Edmunds and the last (from the band's original run) "Zig-Zag Walk" seemed very much in tune with Dave's current (at the time) work. Hence my full circle comment.

snepts likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Just discovered this:

I’m a casual Petty fan, at best. But, how cool to discover he wrote a song about Lonesome Dave. Props to Tom, for that.

groundharp, ARK, snepts and 8 others like this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I thought that was great too.

ARK and pool_of_tears like this.
  4. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

Is that correct? If not what does the name mean?

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Lonesome Dave said it was a madeup word used during a scrabble game he was playing. Take that however you want.

groundharp, ARK and pool_of_tears like this.
  6. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

My theory sounds a bit more "Rock and Roll", but who knows?

pool_of_tears likes this.
  7. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

They didn't seem like a scrabble band at the time.

8. I saw Foghat on the free stage five years ago at the fair. Good show but something tells me that it would have been much better to see them in 1978.

artsiistra likes this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

The current incarnation of Foghat just played here in the Houston area on Friday. The local alt-weekly (or what's left of it, anyway) ran a piece on them earlier in the week that has a few good anecdotes about the band in its heyday:

Foghat Celebrates 50 Years of Fast Licks and Slow Rides

clhboa, ARK and Mister Charlie like this.
  10. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Listening to Foghat - "Live" CD at this moment....what a fantastic recording!
    I never enjoyed their studio albums as much as this live recording. Too bad it wasn't a double live record.

clhboa and Efus like this.
  11. zen

zen Senior Member

I own the compilation on Raven Records; as well as the complete Forgot in the clam-shell box. Admittedly, I still haven't played the last few albums in that box. :hide:

12. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

First show I ever saw was Foghat headlining with Rush and Mother’s Finest opening in December, 1976 at the Palladium In New York City.

I also saw Foghat at the NY Public Library benefit in 1977 which was at the Palladium. It was Foghat backing up...get this, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Eddie Kirkland and others. Paul Butterfield, Johnny Winter, James Cotton, Bob Margolin also performed with many others. incredible evening.

Last time I saw Foghat was at B.B. King’s about five years ago. They were excellent largely due to Charlie Huhn who is a great frontman.

MYQ1, stefane, clhboa and 1 other person like this.
  13. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

I love the 1st album. Lonesome dave was awesome. Liked what he did in Savoy brown, too.
    Got to see them a couple times around the time of the 1st Lp. They were great. Loved "trouble trouble " and "fools hall of fame"

Mister Charlie likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    I guess this was an alias.o_O

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

She's pretty dam good

16. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I always take these YouTube "play along" performances with a grain of salt, but I think this is pretty amazing. Great for an experienced drummer, and stupefying for a teenager.

17. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Longtime vocalist & guitarist Charlie Huhn is no longer in the current lineup.
    He apparently has retired.
    Never would've guessed he's 71, doesn't look it.

Thought if anyone was gonna retire it would've been Roger Earl at 75.

Charlie's replacement is Scott Holt.
    He strangely sang a few songs on 2016's Under The Influence:

Kieran White likes this.
  18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Another one of my all-time favorite Foghat songs...

19. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

Great band, did well in The States, but could never really understand why they were not well known in their native UK..I .am also a big fan of the early music of The Climax Blues Band.. They were great in the early 70s when they were an out and out blues band, never really liked them much after that though when they turned into a syrupy, wishy-washy pop group...

20. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Give those last 4 a chance. Yes, they are different but there is some good stuff on those records!

peachyg72 likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Foghat 1974 on Don Kirsher’s Rock
    concert.

The performances of Honey Hush and I Just Wanna Make Love To You are top notch…the best I’ve heard from the band, imo.

This band put out a big sound, for just bass, drums and 2 guitars. I sure do miss Lonesome Dave and Rod Price. It’s not Foghat without those guys. Hell, I grew up as a tiny tot, hearing my folks playing the first 5 albums.

clhboa, Mister Charlie and MYQ1 like this.
  22. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

They made a film of that:

Was out on DVD 10-12 years ago but is now OOP.

pool_of_tears and Mister Charlie like this.
  23. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I have many memories of going to their shows and hanging out with them back as far as 1977.
    They even walked in to local music store for supplies we were at for daughters guitar lessons while Lonesome David was still around.
    Their autographs,picks etc are still on the wall.......man could they play!

clhboa likes this.
  24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I saw them a couple of times in the late 70s/early 80s. One thing I remember about them was that they were LOUD. I am pretty sure it was at a 1980 show at the Springfield Civic Center where we all left the auditorium and no one could hear anything. A few people didn't regain their hearing for several days. It was that loud. When I saw the bank of speakers up on that stage, I knew they would be loud - just not that loud. :)

I blame that show, in combination with others, for my tinnitus. They were the loudest rock show I ever saw/heard.

ARK and clhboa like this.
  25. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I saw them on the tour with Eric Cartwright at Val Du lakes in Hart, Michigan and my friends and i couldn't even speak to one another right after it was done, because it had been so loud. I didn't get my hearing back to normal until 2 days later ! Wow !