Remembering.....Mott the Hoople

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kieran White, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Bott the Mott lp days after hearing All The Way From Memphis on the radio when it came out in the US. Got All The Young Dudes soon thereafter. Fan ever since. Have all the original UK LPs 1969 ~ 1974, which was a stellar run -- ballads too.

Funny, I just read on Wikipedia that All The Way From Memphis didn't chart in the US. Funny because FM is where I first heard it and I heard it fairly regularly during 1974.

2. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

A limited edition live CD, "Live At HMV Hammersmith Apollo 2009", was released subsequent to those shows.

Fred1 likes this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

How anyone could dislike their impassioned cover of Doug Sahm's "At The Crossroads" from the debut album is beyond me.

mlew, Paul W, Cool hand luke and 8 others like this.
  4. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Yep. The sound quality is excellent.

Paul W likes this.
  5. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I remember. It was close to one of Mick Ralph's last gig with the band. They did further appearances with Ariel Bender on Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's rock concert later in '73. I have yet to see a print of the ABC in concert appearance since I seen in '73.

Greg Gee, Spy Car and Fred1 like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think many of us of a certain age remember them as being from the golden age of rock and roll.

7. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Their cover of Dion’s Your Own Backyard genuinely caught me off guard when it came up in a shuffle the other week. It’s been my obsession since.

John Fell, Paul W, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love them to death. All the Young Dudes, All the Way from Memphis, Honaloochie Boogie. All great.

9. old school

old school Senior Member

Saw them in 1972 at the Hollywood Palladium opening for West Bruce & Laing. Shortly after the big hit All The Young Dudes was all over the radio.

10. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I bought that first album in 69 after hearing 'At the Crossroads' on the 'Nice Enough to Eat' , Island sampler.
    That first album is testament to Ian Hunter's taste in songs by other artists ' Laugh at Me' was certainly Sonny Bono's finest 2 minutes but Hunter and his chums take the song to another level entirely. 'At the Crossroads' is a Doug Sahm masterpiece and the Mott version is equal to the original. Irony here is that Doug Sahm gets covered by an English rock band after he had 'pretended ' to be an English Invasion band!
    'You Really Got Me' is an inspired Mick Ralphs instrumental cover that was probably a staple of their early pre label signing live shows.
    The other two instrumental cuts include one written by Mick Ralphs and another written by Guy Stevens , A short studio jam that was probably gifted to the studio Svengali!
    'Rock and Roll Queen , a Mick Ralphs composition , should have been a huge hit , it was not but if it had of been it would have meant that Mott would have gone in another direction.
    The other two tracks are Hunter/ Ralphs ' Backsliding Fearlessly' and the Hunter written ' Half Moon Bay' , both owing to Bob Dylan in lyrics and execution.
    The cover was what really held the whole thing together.
    One of those records you really need to have in your collection !

babyblue, mlew, onlyconnect and 9 others like this.
  11. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

You are so right , it is probably the standout cut on the album , I love the Doug Sahm original as well!

babyblue, Fred1, Paul W and 3 others like this.
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Belated thanks to WNEW-FM for getting behind the band immediately, and playing them as often as possible. They played every track from the debut album at one time or another and had them in studio for an interview when they came to New York City on the Mad Shadows tour.

mlew, nojasa, DME1061 and 2 others like this.
  13. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Big fan since I heard the All The Young Dudes lp during the summer of '73...side 1 is one of my all time favorite sides in rock. They were a huge influence on me back then. I saw them at 16 in OKC on 'The Hoople' tour in April of '74...Queen opened. Small venue, maybe 400 people. Wish I could have seen them with Mick, though. Hope he is doing well, too.
    I started with AtYD, Mott, Rock & Roll Queen, The Hoople, Mott Live back in 73-74...now I've got most everything released on cd and a lot of bootlegs. Last thing I bought was Mental Train.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

their version of All The Young Dudes is untouchable...love that song! even though I can't stomach who wrote it. : )

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

oh yea, I remember that very well...those were the days.

ralphb likes this.
  16. apb

apb Game on!

My wife and I were supposed to see Mott '74 outside of Philadelphia in April 2019. We couldn't go because she had to undergo major surgery on the day of the show. Then, we missed the DC show later that year when the fall tour was cancelled due to Ian's tinnitus. So here's hoping there's another Mott '74 tour that I can see with my missus!

17. apb

apb Game on!

Backsliding Fearlessly is a brilliant bit of thievery. They "borrow" from Presence of the Lord and The Times They Are A-Changin' in the same song.

18. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

+1

19. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

And someone who has actually produced some of his best work as he's aged.

babyblue, Fred1, Paul W and 1 other person like this.
  20. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Thank you for the recommend. I am Mottless, as well as Hoopless. Your Fillmore and Mott/Dolls later sound like fantastic shows.

Fred1 and ralphb like this.
  21. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

I saw Mott when Queen opened them in 1974, USA, in a small theater.

Front row, center.

I could have polished Freddie's and Ian's shoes. :p :D :laugh:

Those were the days when Queen were not allowed a soundcheck. :mad:

Saw Ian and Mick at Tipitina's and the Rant Band about eight times. :edthumbs:

22. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

That's the show I saw them at.....The Keswick Theater. My wife went with me....and she rarely goes to any shows. So in 2019 I had her attend Mott the Hoople and the Stones in Philly.....two great ones!!

Hope you get another chance to see them.

23. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

The “Mott” LP in ‘73 changed my life.

I read Creem mag, hell I read Circus. In the hinterlands of Ohio, in the 8th grade, what I got was the idea that you could transform your life by the force of will…

Also, if you could figure out how to play guitar and get in a band, you would never have to worry about getting a girlfriend again.

Ian, Mick, Overend, Buffin were my Beatles.

See what I did there?

:)

24. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Their ballads were some of their best songs.

Maybe the OP should stick to AC/DC?

25. apb

apb Game on!

Thanks

DME1061 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.