Remembering 'Planet Of The Apes ' ( 1968 )

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

The intro in the spaceship with Heston narration is so ... Planet of the Apes cool.
    One of my favorite parts especially the second time because you know the adventure that lies ahead.
    Love the narration After the earth blows up on Beneath as well.

2. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

One thing I noticed is when Taylor is doing his monologue at the beginning of the first movie, the earth time on the readout shows the year the Lawgiver tells the story of Caesar in Battle For The Planet Of The Apes.

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You probably know it already, but if not, that's well known voice-actor/voice-over artist Paul Frees doing that bit at the end of "Beneath"...

Manimal likes this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

BENEATH was the actual first paid-for VHS tape I ever bought, with the first movie not far behind. I've always liked that second movie too.

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is me at work every morning! :)

vinnie, Jack Lord, blutiga and 3 others like this.
  6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yeah , for a long time I thought it was Wells.

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

For Christmas, I got the Planet of the Apes soundtrack box set released by one of the boutique labels, with the soundtracks for the original five theatrical films.

Previous releases of Goldsmith's score for the first film missed some important overlays which were subsequently located and reinstated for this release.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Doesn't he light up a cigar during this? That's cool. Smoking in a spaceship. You'd think that would be verboten but Heston is Heston and he does what he wants.

905 likes this.
  9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I can watch this almost any time and still get involved and enjoy it. The first time I ever saw this was as a kid in the back of the parent's station wagon on a scratchy wool blanket. It was a later re-release for drive-ins I suppose as I think I was in the womb when they were filming a lot of it...

I remember all the toys, the cartoon, the tv series, comic books... nothing says '70s like talking apes in leather and humans behind bars. :agree:

Well, okay maybe avocado colored appliances, giant belt buckles, weird plastic eyelashes and wide lapels... but nothing says '70s still cool...

The two disc DVD with the great extras is pretty much essential for any movie collection I would have to think (file next to the 1933 King Kong).

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Before the days of cable, videos and streaming it was a huge deal when a theatrical film made its network TV debut. I remember me and little brother were so excited our parents let us stay up late to watch this on TV in the early 7os. Blown away by it.

11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I don’t remember.

12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I do know the two human women get no lines (the Astronaut, Stewart r.i.p., and then Nova). :shake: :p

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when I saw this at the movies I was so blown away by the ending...did anyone else feel this way? well, I was a youngster and that scene never left me even to this day so many years later!
    POWERFUL!

14. Michael

and rightly so!

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

They may have been given various lines off set?

beccabear67 likes this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

Yes, Colonel Taylor does puff on a cigar during the opening monologue.

17. Grand_Ennui

Lt. Stewart had no lines in the "Planet" script. She does nothing but lie their in her sleeping chamber and is ultimately "mummified" due to a crack in the glass aging her 2,000 years (unlike he male counterparts who come thru unscathed, until the hunt of course). There are promotional still of the four astronauts, pre-flight, that exist, but the sleeping bit in the movie and the promotional stills seems to be the extent of actress Dianne Stanley's involvement in the movie.

As far as Nova having lines in "Planet"-No lines for her either, as she's a mute savage girl... (She does get one line in "Beneath" however, that being "Taylor".)

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

T..TA ....TAYLO ... Taylor.

vinnie likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Let's just admit we all admire her tailor!

Rooster_Ties, DigMyGroove and Michael like this.
  21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I was 16 when I saw it when it first came out, with about 10 friends. As soon as they crashed in the beginning of the movie, I announced to everyone "they're going to find the Statue Of Liberty". I had no idea, I was just guessing. Boy, were they all PO'd at me.

Michael likes this.
  22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

At least you’re clean.

johnny q likes this.
  23. Michael

LOL! I would have been with your friends! Oh man! that must have sucked! ah ha ha !

24. Michael

Indeed~!

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. Michael

sexy pretty lady...

Jack Lord and All Down The Line like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.