Remembering The Doors and Jim Morrison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stuart Wheatman, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Stuart Wheatman

Stuart Wheatman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi - I'm a first time poster here. I found a thread about an event at Book Soup from years ago, and thought I'd post in here as I'm doing some research on the band and Jim.
    I'm interested in hearing from people about their experiences of The Doors - mainly if anyone is on here who saw them live, met any of the band, was around Venice, The Strip, etc at the time - basically, any Doors stories that relate directly to them - Eg, any photographs of live shows, photos of 'the time'. I'm really keen to talk to anyone who was part of the Doors family - not always easy to find people online and grateful to anyone who responds to me. Thanks!

RAZORMADE, mcallister, Sean and 3 others like this.
  2. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I'd love to see responses, too. I've seen some on YouTube.

3. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

Saw them in 1970 at the Boston Arena
    Wrote a review of the show as well.
    Will try to find it.

Have you checked out this website yet?
    Good place to start your research

MildEquator.com | News & Updates

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  4. MortSahlFan

It's a great site, but I couldn't find any Boston review unfortunately.

5. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Maybe forum member @rkt88 could help you out. Check out some of his posts.

6. Rising Sun

Yes, I noticed no reviews for Boston so I emailed them about submitting mine.
    Haven't heard back from them yet but hopefully will have one up soon.

Flynbryan likes this.
  7. Stuart Wheatman

Thanks for the discussion. I've had a look at the website, it's a great resource. Loads of cool info on there. Not just looking for people to write a review - I'm interested in talking to people, to record and preserve their stories. Maybe you'd be up for that, Rising Sun? Would be great to get more from you about Boston!

8. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Watched their Isle Of White 1970 performance on YouTube a couple of nights ago. Whilst Jim isn't as animated as earlier Doors performances he's very much on the ball here and the band play really well. Great gig.

9. MortSahlFan

When asked about this concert, Jim said he hadn't slept in 36 hours, going straight to court, and then leaving immediately to the Isle of Wight.

10. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, tired is what he looks. Sings great for the most part though. Only Light My Fire seems a tad subdued.

Stuart Wheatman and MortSahlFan like this.
  11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

And Patsradio

Stuart Wheatman likes this.
  12. coot

coot Forum Resident

I saw them live in Houston around 1970. The only anecdote I can remember was Jim would go to the side of the stage after every song and drink some sort of beverage and pick out of the audience a hot babe to join him. They sounded great,,,:agree:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  13. MortSahlFan

To join him to dance?

14. Stuart Wheatman

Ha, that's brilliant! Would you be up for talking about it... I'm sure if we recorded it, you'd recall more about it :)

MortSahlFan likes this.
  15. coot

coot Forum Resident

It was a long time ago but a remmber singing a song with his arm around her...:wave:

16. MortSahlFan

You're a lucky guy.. Not many today can say they've been to a Doors concert!

Brettlowden likes this.
  17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I've met Robby Krieger a few times -- super, super nice guy.

He autographed two Doors LPs for me (one of which is now in the possession of another SHF Forum member -- the other, "Strange Days," is framed on a wall in my living room :righton: ).

I met John Densmore once -- and he was a dick.

Given that the Densmore incident was at a political fundraiser, where we were pulling for the same cause, would have made me believe he'd treat me differently than some fanboy who ran across a street breathlessly to bask in his aura. :shake:

stevef and steve_miller like this.
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I met John Densmore at a book signing for this book:
    [​IMG]

He was super nice and I very much enjoyed having the chance to talk a bit with him.
    He has a new one coming out called The Seekers. Definitely looking forward to adding that to my Doors book collection!

Anthrax, stevef and quicksilverbudie like this.
  19. Rising Sun

Don't think I could add too much beyond a review as I never met any of the Doors or their people personally but you can PM me anytime if you have questions. I emailed Mild Equator again and just got a reply back this morning. I'll submit review over the weekend so it should be online by next week.

Stuart Wheatman likes this.
  20. coot

coot Forum Resident

Densmore seems to be the one to protect what he believes Jim would have wanted when it came to any decision between the band members...:shrug:

stevef and john lennonist like this.
  21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

That's true (i.e. Densmore was the one to resist selling [out] songs for commercials, etc.) so in the grand scheme of things, that's much more important than the negative personal interaction I had with him as detailed in Post #17 above.

22. Rising Sun

Boston review is now online. Logan, the webmaster, has been busy updating the site this week.
    Lots of new material, reviews, photos, etc.

MildEquator.com | News & Updates

Soundslave likes this.
  23. Wow, The Doors have stooped to a new low with a t-shirt commemorating their by-all-accounts horrific final concert in New Orleans, one that was so bad it led to them to stop touring with Jim:

The Doors Last Concert T-Shirt

Flynbryan likes this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member