Remix or Re-recorded - you decide!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I believe they are remixes. Didn't they use remixes for some of the stuff on "Double Platinum" too?

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

From the Kiss & Related Recordings Focus book by Julian Gill. He knows more about Kiss than all of us....no mention of re-recordings, just remixes for specific tracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viper and Curveboy like this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

4. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I've always thought it pretty obvious they are remixed to bring it up to date to a more 80s sheen - hence more reverbed drums, chorused guitars etc. The most obvious re-recording aspect was the new vocal for Beth. As mentioned they'd fiddled around with stuff on Double Platinum too as well.

5. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

How is this even a thread? Everyone knows they’re remixes.

They swapped out an alternate take bassline on RNRAN that was on the master but not used in 75.

They did add a keyboard part to Love Gun. And of course the new vocal on Beth.

They’re clearly the original songs otherwise.

Curveboy, intv7 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

OK, I’ll go with remix as well, but Deuce definitely has alternate vocals. I originally answered re-recording.

intv7 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. AngusStanley

How could Julian Gill not mention the different bassline in Rock And Roll All Nite? That’s the biggest change in the song. It’s really noticeable. Some expert.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. AngusStanley

It’s just tweaking of the mix/vocal multitracks I feel.

Similar to Black Diamond on Double Platinum. There they swapped the relative volumes of the two vocal tracks. Sounds like a different vocal but it’s just that the supporting vocal take is now the main vocal take and vice versa.

Joy-of-radio and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

remix

Curveboy likes this.
  10. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Is there a decent singles compilation featuring original mixes? Also, are there any really good-sounding comps? Most of KISS’ stuff just plain sounds bad to me and hurts my ears.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

maybe the 1997 greatest kiss?

Curveboy likes this.
  12. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

A better question is when were the “new live” tracks recorded on YWTBYGTB. Those sound like futzed-with studio recordings.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Viper

Viper Happily lurking 'round here

Wow, crazy that I see this thread because I just found this cd used today and listened to Love Gun earlier and could immediately tell a difference. Hence me coming to this site and voila! A thread on this very subject.

on first listen the vocal certainly sounded different but I’ll need to listen more closely. First thought was that Paul re-recorded the vocal but this was before I read that it was remixed per the liner notes . I’ll chime in tomorrow after giving it a better listen.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, there's no way those are re-recordings. If Kiss were to re-record their songs, even if they just quickly dashed them off in the studio in a couple of takes, they wouldn't sound anything like the originals, and if they tried to replicate the sound of the original recordings (especially in the bass and drums), it would require much more effort than it would be worth. Even as different as these mixes sound, they definitely sound too much like 70's recordings to be anything else.

They do sound a heckuva lot different because they are remixed and sweetened a good deal.

15. AngusStanley

They’re mostly the original mixes, DRC isn’t, all the sound effects are missing. I think that’s the best sounding compilation.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. AngusStanley

Theyre mostly studio recordings. You can spot 1996 Paul and 1996 Gene a mile off. Two Timer was never even played live in the 70s.

Take Me is music is legit, it was going to be on the original Alive2. But it’s got a 96 vocal over the top.

Let Me Know is odd, it’s may or may not be a 96 Gene vocal but it’s absolutely a 75 Paul one. He sounds totally like Alive! era. So it must have been something originally done for Alive! and touched up. Sounds like vintage Ace leads too. May even be a 75 Gene vocal.

God knows who is playing on Room Service and Two Timer. It’s not 75 or 96 Ace on Two Timer, it might be Kulick trying to replicate Ace perfectly. Drumming is basic enough to be 96 Peter on that. Both the solos of Room Service and Two Timer have weird effects on them that Ace never ever used. So the whole thing is bizarre.

The story of that album was that Robert V Conte assembled a whole album from the vaults of unreleased songs, an alternate Alive/Alive2 if you will. It was all sequenced and ready to go then Gene and Paul heard it and freaked out and dumped it, recorded a bunch of fake crap and made the rest a greatest hits of Alive and Alive2. Typical KISS disaster. We could have got a great album.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Use_Your_Koala and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Gene was famously uninterested in anything KISS at this point. I can't believe that he would have gone into the studio to rerecord anything.

Vocals for Beth were rerecorded, but that's it.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

The different timings for Deuce is because they changed the fade out so you hear more of Ace's original lead parts on the outro. It was a bit of a treat for the fans to hear something new.

Scottb, Matthew Tate and mmars982 like this.
  19. Curveboy

From my ears and comparing the live shows these supposedly came from:

Room Service, Let Me Know, Two Timer are all 1996 studio recordings with audience added. It certainly sounds like it's the original 4 members on them.

Take Me is probably the track recorded from Tokyo 1976 (aka the Lost Alive II album) with a new vocal from Paul on top.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

thank you. I see this compilation all the time cheap enough I might pick it up

Curveboy likes this.
  21. Curveboy

Fake or not I do really love Let Me Know/Two Timer on there.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I don't like any of them but if I have to choose it's Remix.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

is the interview at the end cool?

24. Curveboy

Not really...it's a listen once kinda thing IMO.

Oh, the Japanese version has an actual live track: New York Groove with Ace and Eric Carr. The sound quality of it isn't great but it is cool to have as it's only the second live song with Carr officially available.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

oh I didn't even know that. wonder how hard it is to find that version

Curveboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.