REO Speedwagon - Early Years 1971-1977 CD Box - Cherry Red Label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bbanderic, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    The MEZ likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I would have liked a few more exclusive bonus tracks. I have the two Kevin Cronin vocal tracks from the Ridin' The Storm Out sessions, on other sets so I would liked some more of those or maybe some previously unreleased songs from any of the early recording sessions, if there are any. Not really interested in mono singles.

However, the music is all excellent and early REO is so overshadowed by the later stuff, that anything that gets those early records out there is fine by me!

I have many Cherry Red re-issues and they are uniformally excellent!

3. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m not interested in the mono either, currently don’t think I have the Cronin tracks. I have a few of the 2011 Japanese remasters and they’re so crushed I can’t even listen to them. Good to know Cherry Red is legit and put out s good quality product, I may have to give them a shot. The REO catalog hasn’t been tended to very well on CD, thanks for the info!

carlwm likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You're welcome!

You should enjoy the Cronin vocals - he sings the tracks well although they are not necessarily better than the Mike Murphy originals, just different.

5. Toad

Toad Forum Resident

The set is worthwhile because for $30 you can get all of the early albums, INCLUDING a complete You Get What You Play For - Live which, as we know, was not handled properly on the original CD (Songs edited or omitted). I never purchased the original live CD because I thought that was a cheesy move, removing stuff to just to cram everything on one disc. The Japanese import is way too expensive and people said it wasn't that great as far as quality is concerned, so I skipped that, too. So when I saw this little Cherry Red box was released and saw the complete live album was indeed featured I scooped it up. So far, so good. The live album sounds like I remember it. The bonus tracks on the other discs are a nice addition but as some have said, the mono tracks are sorta lame and not much or a "bonus." The Cronin versions of 'Ridin' the Storm Out' & 'Son of a Poor Man' are welcome, though. I have not done side-by-side comparisons of the Cherry Red studio albums to the BGO versions from a few years ago. I was totally happy with the BGO sound, especially on R.E.O. / T.W.O. I thought that was mastered perfectly.

So the question is, on the studio stuff, does anybody notice any improvements on these new Cherry discs?

MusicNBeer, carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Haven't picked this up yet though I hadn't noticed it was the complete Live album, That might well sway me, so thanks for the info!

Does anyone know whether the rest of the KC vocals survive from the Ridin' The Storm Out sessions? I love the original version (I like Mike Murphy's voice a lot) but I am curious how songs like Open Up & Whisky Nights would sound with Kev singing them.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I heard the Cronin version of "Son Of A Poor Man" once and unfortunately it was mixed for the 1980 Decade of Rock and Roll album with an echoey 80's arena rock sound. If they could mix the Cronin takes from Ridin' with the dry 70's sound the original album had, that could be nice.

carlwm likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

10. dmiller458

That link is just the one song. But their entire catalog is on Spotify.

carlwm likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nice one. Thank you!

12. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Nine Lives is where it ended for me. After that it was hair band pop hell. Unfortunately this later stuff has aged very poorly and really hurt their historical reputation. I really like their 70s stuff with Richrath shredding out the solos. Great rhythm section too and a lot of very good songs.

Dave Armstrong, longdist01 and carlwm like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Disagree, respectfully,about the later stuff though I'm with you about how good those Seventies records are!

The template of the albums from Tuna Fish through to Life As We Know It remained pretty similar, I reckon, & the songwriting and performances stayed strong, at least to my ears. A lot of Gary's songs from that period would have quite easily slotted into the mid Seventies albums quite nicely as well.

No doubt the production would be an issue if you don't like that Eighties sound (personally, I like it) but they remained an outstanding rock band throughout that period.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  14. MusicNBeer

I probably do have a biased opinion given that I absolutely cannot stand anything resembling 80s pop metal. You're obviously not strange liking the 80s REO as they were hugely popular. I do think Cronin's bubblegum pop hurt the band.

t-man 54 and eelkiller like this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Forgot to agree with you about the rhythm section.

Alan Gratzer is one of the most under-valued drummers in rock & both bassists were terrific! :righton:

Shvartze Shabbos and MusicNBeer like this.
  16. MusicNBeer

Time to spin the live LP.:cheers:

carlwm likes this.
  17. dmiller458

They might have had a hair band image, but their sound was pure corporate arena rock.

Stephen J likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Fair enough!

I do think it's a shame that Mike Murphy has been practically written out of REO history (partly his own fault given, I believe, he declines to talk about his time with the band, which his prerogative, obviously!).

Thought he was a great singer & writer. Songs like Give Me A Ride (Rollercoaster) & Lost In A Dream should be regarded as REO classics.

Hopefully, the current re-issue will help his time with the band be reassessed.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    tspit74 and MusicNBeer like this.
  19. MusicNBeer

By "corporate" are you saying they were making music based on what they thought would be most popular and make the most money? If so, I cannot disagree. In fact, hasn't the band admitted that?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Richrath was a rock god.

21. MusicNBeer

Yes Richrath was a killer player. Fast as hell yet really musical. Put on "157 Riverside Ave." and worship!

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah. Unique!

Such a lovely tone.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Taking the bonus material out of the equation are these versions on the box better sounding than the earlier CDs (CBS or BGO)?

ispace likes this.
  24. MusicNBeer

Sorry I hijacked the thread but I don't often see 70s REO talked about around here. It's great stuff long forgotten.

rockinlazys, artfromtex and carlwm like this.
  25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Hijacked? I don't think so, nice to see the band on page one (for now).

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.