Repair question on Sony TC-FX7 Cassette Tape Head

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HippieDippieDos, Jan 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HippieDippieDos

HippieDippieDos New Member Thread Starter

[​IMG] I have this Sony TC-FX7 cassette deck that has a broken playback head. I know it’s probably a long shot but figured I see if anyone knew more.

I have not seen a playback head setup like this before. I’m having trouble figuring out how it originally was. This unit unfortunately is hard to find a replacement part for.

I attached a few photos to hopefully help guide anyone. There were originally 4 metal pins going into the head and connecting to the circuit board. I’m trying to figure out where they connected to in the head so I could possibly connect some wires to it instead?

As you can see there are 4 black points. They were connected horizontally but have broken apart. I’m not sure if that is just plastic, or something more crucial.

Like I stated earlier. I believe this is not repairable and a long shot but I’m curious if I could maybe learn a thing or two as well

2. HippieDippieDos

3. harby

harby Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It was soldered. "Someone" ripped out the wires.

There's a new head on eBay also, but you'd have to redo all the calibrations if replacing. You might need one, as it looks like at least one trace is missing off the circuit board. You broke the head off the board? Probably going to have ripped tiny winding wires out of the back of the head.

4. HippieDippieDos

I’ve seen that diagram but unfortunately that doesn’t help my issue with the actual head connecting to the board.

There’s also a lot of glue blocking a lot of things

I know how all the wires go, but I’m unsure where those copper pins connect to in the playback head. I think there is no saving this one based on the looks of it so I’ll have to check out that link you sent. Do you think this deck is worth the money to repair?

5. harby

harby Forum Resident

They glue it because it's not designed to come off. When the head comes off without being desoldered first, it rips off the circuit board traces as can be seen in your picture..

If you've got it apart, putting in a new head for $50 makes for a working deck worth a hair more than $50. You also might happen on a whole replacement parts deck for $50 (though not currently on eBay) that will give up its head. That's not too bad. Personally, any money I'd spend (if wanting to make recordings) would be on a three-head dual-capstan deck with bias adjustment and at least Dolby C.

I tried to get a read on the value of this significantly older deck, but other sold auctions for this or its Sony cousins are all "for part, not working". There's just too many 40 year old parts in these decks to be dying at this point. A newer one will have more direct drive and less belts to rot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.