Replacement Mat for Technics 1210gr

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HBIII, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

No, I won’t buy anything from Music Hall. I have used cork mats in the past.

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I have the Funk Firm APM-1200 on my GR and love it.

nomad709 and Art K like this.
  3. Art K

I have the APM as well. The standard Achromat came with it. I’m definitely keeping the APM.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. jeffrey75

jeffrey75 Forum Resident

Over on Lenco Heaven there is an individual who sells copper mats (SCuMat) his name is Sien and he posts under sph.
    I purchased one his bearing a few years ago and a SCuMat last year, both transactions were flawless but there is wait time in-between batches.

I also agree with other posters who say combing and experimenting with different mats can lead to positive results...

5. Zatoichi

Zatoichi Forum Resident

Another APM user here on my 1200 Mk2. Spendy but best I’ve found of many I tried.

6. Warbs

Warbs Forum Resident

I have purchased an Oyaide BR-12 for my Technics SL-1500C which arrived yesterday, and what amazed me is how if completely flattened out a warp I had on an album, even without a weight. Plus, it has certainly firmed up bass notes, quite apparent.

I haven't readjusted the VTA yet though which I think I need to, and maybe the azimuth, as the right channel now seems to be a little more dominant.

7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Any ideas about how a platter mat can flatten a warp? Seems unlikely that simply placing an LP on a platter mat of any kind could make a warp go away.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The mat is slightly concave on purpose and meant to be used with a clamp or record weight. It can help mitigate the effects of warps but does not eliminate them IME.

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Cool, but @Warbs mentioned that the mat was used without a weight.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I know. Without a weight or clamp the mat won't work as described.

11. Warbs

Warbs Forum Resident

I put an album on that had a noticeable warp when I used the stock mat, when I used the Oyaide, the warp wasn't there.

Doop likes this.
  12. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Swapped out the Achromat on my 1200 to try the Oyaide BR-12 and really like it. Not sure if I necessarily prefer it to the Achromat, still deciding. Mind I'm using an Orsonic clamp.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I tried something like that but it didn't turn out too well... Shattered
    [​IMG]

ubiknik likes this.
  14. rhing

rhing Forum Resident

I just received a used Technics RGS0010 6mm mat from an eBay seller in The Netherlands, and it looks as good as new and I couldn’t be happier with the sound quality and the VTA adjustability with my SL-1200GR.

I wonder why Technics doesn’t supply this mat or something similar in 6mm as a stock mat.

15. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Well to each his own. I use the Music Hall Mat on top of three Oyaide BR-ONEs (necessary to achieve the right VTA at the lowest setting of the arm, as the Music Hall Mat is thin).
    I'd like to try the Oyaide BR-12 though. The Music Hall Mat is also slightly lower in the middle than on the edges, but I use a weight and it works fine.

16. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

BTW, the Music Hall Mat is more like a cross between cork and rubber. It's not your typical hard cork at all, but more like some type of cork hybrid material. The design is that the record is lifted off of the mat (and only air is under the record except for small round lift pads on the edges. Playback is very quiet with no static.

17. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Pro-ject Corkit cork mats are nice and thin and I use one on my modern Thorens tt.

18. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I have the Herbies Way Excellent Mat II 4mm on top of a cork/rubber mat on my 1210 mk2, solves the vta problem and sounds great.

19. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident

Any reason not to use a leather mat? I have one and it works fine with no static or slipping. Really looks nice and is easy to notice if needs dust removed as it is black. Have not found any downside to using it as top mat on my GAE. Others with better hearing might disagree.

mustang_flht likes this.
  20. Art K

I finally settled in with the Oyaide BR-12 and a record weight.

RWAudio likes this.
  21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Someone reported it stained the brass platter after some time.

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

23. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident

Yea but I use the leather mat on top of the factory mat so no staining issues.

24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Herbie’s is out of stock until late spring

25. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Another nice rubber mat is the Ultima THT-291 from Tokyo Bouon (Tokyo Soundproof). It's made from hanenite rubber (HANENITE | 内外ゴム株式会社 ), which is used for vibration control in some very high end audio products, such as the $4700 Audio-Technica AT-SUT1000 step up transformer, and is reasonably priced at around $35 from Amazon Japan ($50 with shipping). It's 291mm x 4mm and weighs 330g. I bought one recently to use on my Micro Seiki DD-40 so don't know how well it works on the Technics, but very nice mat...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    DMM714, mustang_flht, Spin 12 and 2 others like this.