Replacements/Westerberg fans, I need your help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CM Wolff, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member Thread Starter

OK...I have to compile a single disc to try to convince a nonbeliever of Paul Westerberg's greatness. This person enjoys music, but in a somewhat casual and mainstream way, so excerpting the Replacements Twin-Tone albums (with the possible exception of Let it Be) is not the direction I want to go with this. The disc will also have to cover both the Replacements and Paul's solo career. Please make any suggestions in relation to the preliminary list below; all are enthusiastically welcomed and appreciated - I am a huge Westerberg fan and putting together a single disc has proven to be too tough a task. Thanks in advance.

I Will Dare
    Unsatisfied
    Kiss Me On The Bus
    Left of the Dial
    Here Comes a Regular
    Alex Chilton
    Can't Hardly Wait
    I'll Be You
    Merry Go Round
    Sadly Beautiful
    When It Began
    Waiting for Somebody
    Dyslexic Heart
    Knockin' on Mine
    Things
    These are Days
    Love Untold
    MamaDaddyDid
    It's A Wonderful Lie
    Only Lie Worth Telling
    No Place for You

A couple of other random notes re: the above. Unsatisfied is a great song, but grinds the disc to a halt in a sort of, ahem, unsatisfying way. Skyway should probably be included, but Here Comes a Regular and Sadly Beautiful are already similar in style - don't know how to handle this. World Class Fad and Achin' to Be were singles that don't seem to rise to the level of greatness, but maybe I should throw them on anyway. The Mono CD is not represented; although it is great, to my ears there is not an individual song that belongs.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Tim & Let It Be should be enough to convince anybody, IMHO. Just my two cents.

3. stever

stever Senior Member

I agree with Sckott 100% -- these are the two best Replacements LPs. However, they're still a bit raw in places, while IMO, "Pleased to Meet Me," might better sway the unititiated with its melodic punch and slicker production.

My vote for best Paul Westerberg song is, "Answering Machine" -- nothing but Paul's guitar and a great lyric, although it took me years to catch it all. Is there a better couplet in the Westerberg canon than, "Try to free a slave of ignorance, try and teach a whore about romance."

4. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I must suggest "Die within your reach" from "Hootenany", and "Achin to Be" from Don't tell a Soul. Of the newer album I also like the song "Mr. Rabbit". If these plus the songs you have chosen do not convince, then nothing will!!

5. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Also, on their first album, "Sorry Ma forgot to take out the Trash", there is a great slow song about the death of Johnny Thunders called "Johnny's gonna die". It's the only "ballad" in between a bunch of fast, thrashy punk songs. A hidden gem, kind of. That whole album is one of my all time favorites.

And what about "Let the bad times roll" from the new album. What a great song about staying in a relationship even when the going gets rough.

I saw Paul last year in Somerville MA, and it was awesome! A very underappreciated artist.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It sounds like you are looking to avoid anything remotely punkish... which is too bad, because that tosses out a lot of his best work. With that proviso, you have a pretty good representative sample of his more mellow Replacements stuff. My suggestions/additions:

If Only You Were Lonely: a great acoustic ballad with clever, funny lyrics. Hard to find and not available on CD, so maybe you don't have it, but if you do you should include it.

I would dump Unsatisfied and add Sixteen Blue. It might flow a bit better, and I like Sixteen Blue better, with that weird Bob solo. Never been a big Unsatisfied fan.

A big part of Westerberg is his sense of humor. Maybe throw in Waitress in the Sky to illustrate that.

Ya gotta have more from PTMM. The Ledge maybe? Melodramatic but good. IOU is the best song on that album, but maybe it's too punk for your purposes?

I really like Happy Town off All Shook Down.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If I were making a 22 song CD from scratch to show off Paul Westerberg the songwriter, I'd go with (roughly chronologically):

I'm in Trouble
    If Only You Were Lonely (not on CD yet, though)
    Go
    Color Me Impressed
    Within Your Reach
    I Will Dare
    Androgynous
    Bastards of Young
    Kiss Me on the Bus
    Waitress in the Sky
    Swingin' Party
    Alex Chilton
    Can't Hardly Wait
    I'll Be You
    Darlin' One
    Portland
    Sadly Beautiful
    Dyslexic Heart
    Love Untold
    Time Flies Tomorrow
    It's a Wonderful Lie
    Silent Film Star

Regards,

8. CM Wolff

Thanks for the suggestions so far - all are appreciated (especially the almost completely alternate song selection, Ken - I think I might just have to burn yours and see how it sounds.) Sckott- I totally agree with you about Let it Be and Tim, although in setting up Paul Westerberg for this friend, I have described a twenty-five year, Hall-of-Fame level, Kinks-like songwriting proficiency and consistency. Therefore, I am somewhat committed to showing off the whole career to avoid any notion that Paul had just a one or two album peak.....

Thanks again - if there are any other thoughts or suggestions, do not hesitate...

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

You have to add Answering Machine, Sixteen Blue, Bastards of Young, Skyway and Valentine.

You only need one or two songs each from "Sorry Ma" "Hootenany" "Don't Tell a Soul" and "All Shook Down".
    The meat of the disc as said before should come from "Let it Be", "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me".

If he likes this disc make another comp disc from the Westerberg solos.

Joe Lee

10. Matt

Matt New Member

Here's a 'Mats comp I made once:

Johnny's Gonna Die
    Shiftless When Idle
    Somethin' To Du
    Kids Don't Follow
    Dope Smokin' *****
    Hootenanny
    Color Me Impressed
    Within Your Reach
    Hayday
    I Will Dare
    Androgynous
    Unsatisfied
    Sixteen Blue
    Answer Machine
    Here Comes A Regular
    Left Of The Dial
    Hold My Life
    Kiss Me On The Bus
    Bastards Of Young
    Skyway
    Alex Chilton
    I Don't Know
    Portland
    The Ledge
    Can't Hardly Wait (Tim version)
    Achin' To Be
    I'll Be You
    Talent Show
    Anywhere's Better Than Here
    Another Girl, Another Planet (live)
    Merry Go Round
    Sadly Beautiful
    Nobody
    Treatment Bound

Not that familiar with the solo stuff, but I have Stereo/Mono which is really good. Favorite track is "We May Well Be The Ones" (or something like that; that's a lyric in the song).

11. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Here is the Comp I'd make

I'm In Trouble
    If Only You Were Lonely ( Available on a Twin Tone promo Sampler CD or the B-side to I'm in Trouble or on the Boink LP or Cassette)
    Kids Don’t Follow
    Color Me Impressed
    Take Me Down to the Hospital
    Within Your Reach
    Left of the Dial
    Little Mascara
    Can't Hardly Wait
    Nevermind
    Rock and Roll Ghost
    Achin to Be
    Nobody
    Bent Out of Shape
    Torture
    Runaway Wind
    World Class Fad
    Love Untold
    Dyslexic Heart

I'd skip all of Let it Be but that's just me. It just doesn't hold up the way Tim or Pleased to Meet Me does.

Best,
    Aaron

12. Matt

Matt New Member

Yeah, If Only You Were Lonely is great. I only have an mp3 of it.

Skip Let It Be? Man, that's like a Beatles fan skipping Revolver!

13. Matt

Matt New Member

14. mjb

mjb Senior Member

No Replacements/Westerberg overview would be complete without "Here Comes A Regular", though.

15. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I know. Absolute heresy. I started out with Pleased to Meet me as the first Mats album I bought. I went back and bought the whole catalog, even S#@T Hits the Fans. Of the early catalog, I liked Hootenany best.
    Mr Whirly is a genius rip off of Strawberry Fields, Oh Darling and the Twist, Sorry Ma is great if not a bit uneven and slightly redundant. Stink is Westerberg trying to write an angry Sex Pistols type songs( even he said this was silly) When I listen to Let it Be, it sounds like they are growing, but there ideas don't seem fully realized. The rockers don't rock like they do on the early albums and the ballads/slower songs don't seem to be the quality they are on later albums. The I think they better achieved this on Tim. On Let it Be, they are trying to maintain there indie cred and grow by being slightly more mainstream. I don't know if it's the production or more outside influence on this album or what, but this just isn't the Replacements album I go for.

Best,
    Aaron

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If it's any consolation, that was easily my favorite Mats song I left off of my list. Little Mascara was the next favorite one, but I was already a bit Tim-heavy. :)

Regards,

17. Matt

Matt New Member

I had a hard time digging the early music, pre-Hootenanny. For awhile, it just seemed like clamor, even a bit of a pose, but some of the songs began to grow on me.

They've got the funniest song titles this side of the Ramones, and the lyrics can be downright hilarious, but it doesn't always work. I guess that was part of the appeal, where they could either crash and burn or do a brilliant, transcendant, sloppy performance.

18. CM Wolff

Thanks again for all the help. I feel somewhat better about having difficulty settling on a single disc's worth of material, as the recommendations here are all over the map (in a good way of course). I am now wondering if I am over-rating Paul's solo career, although in my heart I don't feel I am. He does appear to miss having a real band (his more recent work, with Paul recording mostly alone, seems part design and part artistic confusion), but I still think the high points of his solo stuff are at the Mats' level.

I now realize that I have a tough time making comps of artists who happen to be very strong songwriters working in classic pop/rock traditions - it is murder picking out the high points of the albums. I similarly labored over a Marshall Crenshaw comp, and really never got it right....

19. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

I would definitely include the following:
    Answering Machine
    Bastards of Young
    World Class Fad
    Hold My Life

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Luckily, Rhino's THIS IS EASY is the perfect Marshall Crenshaw comp -- they even nailed "Starless Summer Sky" off MIRACLE OF SCIENCE. Anyone who doesn't fall in love with Marshall Crenshaw after hearing this or either of his first two albums can be dropped off at your local planetarium's Pink Floyd laser show and safely ignored thereafter.

If you're trying to convince a mainstream listener of Paul Westerberg's greatness, I think your selections have to be a little more conservative, leaning toward the later major label stuff, as per your (CM Wolff's) original selection.

Tracks I'd have to make room for, given your purposes:

Waitress In the Sky
    Skyway
    Talent Show
    Cruella Deville
    My Little Problem (unjustly buried on ALL SHOOK DOWN)
    Silver Naked Ladies
    Call That Gone (that's your MONO/STEREO track!)

I think "The Ledge" is one of his greatest tracks, but probably a little rough in presentation and subject matter for swaying a general listener.

21. CM Wolff

Ron-

Funny you should mention this. I did a Crenshaw comp a couple years ago and came up with something that shared about 2/3'rds the songs of what eventually was released as This Is Easy. It didn't feel right, though, and I have been reworking it on-and-off ever since. This past weekend, I remembered that you touted This is Easy in another thread and decided 'screw the CD-R, I'm gonna go buy the album, it's good enough for Ron, it's good enough for me'. (One of the things that was making my homemade comp incomplete was the fact that I do not have the debut single version of 'Something's Gonna Happen', which is totally essential Crenshaw, and that of course leads off This is Easy.) Well, I went to all my local establishments, and the only place that had it was Borders, at an uneconomical $18, earning a pass from me. Ordered it online, and my pursuit of a perfect Crenshaw comp is hopefully almost at an end. Now I can just try to finish this Westerberg thing - thanks for your input - glad to see someone else likes 'My Little Problem'....

22. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Jeeze, tough assingnment...

Well, I'd just buy them All Shook Down, really Paul's first solo album.

Yes, I know I'm skipping all those others, but wow, what a great album that was/is...

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.