Replacing stock cartridge on Rega P1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spencer Hayashi, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer Hayashi

Spencer Hayashi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked up a Rega P1 but I want to swap out the stock Rega Carbon with one of the phono cartridges I already have in my collection. Because of the plug & play nature of this TT, I am looking for some feedback as to which of my cartridges would best suited for this purpose. Also, any input about whether they require the 2mm spacer to allow for proper tonearm height. My possible cartridge upgrades are:

1. Ortofon 2m Bronze
    2. Nagaoka MP110
    3. AT SA95 with LP Gear Shibata stylus
    4. Shelter 201

Appreciate any feedback as to the pros and cons of any of these options.

CCrider92 likes this.
  2. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

When you say Rega p1, I assume you have the model from 10, 12, 13 years ago. Correct?
    Nag MP110 - is what I have on my p1 after trying lots of carts at twice the price. No spacer needed according to my measurements which all show the arm level.

Spencer Hayashi likes this.
  3. Spencer Hayashi

Actually it is the newer P1 circa 2016-17 model.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I got a Nag as well because it was strongly recommended by Ian from HIVI new channel on youtube. I already discussed it in this short thread and feel like its bad repeating things so please read this one for all the info you need:
    Installing a Nagaoka MP-110 cart to my Rega RP1

In short, you dont NEED spacers, but your cart will track at about 80 degrees during heavy modulation. However, as others who have tested with spacers remark, it doesn't change much of anything sound wise. Save your money if its not something you feel like you must be picky about, just be aware that if you do you will need a new counter weight as well, as stated in the thread above ;^)

I would not recommend any finer grade styli profiles than elliptical at all on the P1, simply because it has very few adjustment features. The finer the profile the more obvious it will be that its performing sub optimally. If you want to play with a shibata stylus for example then Azimuth and VTA are almost essential.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Spencer Hayashi likes this.
  5. Spencer Hayashi

Thanks so much for your insight. It definitely is very helpful and I really like the Nag MP110 anyway. I do have one question, what counterweight would you recommend to replace the stock weight?

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

There are many options, some very expensive. I have never tried any so I cant say which is the best or why really, but the ones off the top of my head are the XTC and Groovetracer weights. Groovertracer make especially high quality Rega mods but they are generally recommended for higher end models such as the P3. Also, do keep in mind that these products were mostly made to fit for the previous generations of Rega tables and some might not fit yours. The ones I can think of as an example are the Sub platters by Groovertracer which I do not think fit and some spacers like the very popular plastic ones with several steps. Be sure to ask the retailer about compatibility before purchasing.

XTC-099-RGA Counterweight - Rega RB250/RB300 Tonearms - Retrotone

counterweight_groovetracer

7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Why would you need to exchange the counterweight? The stock one is fine with that cart - I know the stock Rega c'weight is primitive but it does the job. Buy a gauge to make sure you're getting the right tracking force. Why not a Tangospinner subplatter or a glass platter instead? You'll get more benefit from either of those. For now I suggest you go with the Nag cart and listen to it for a while before you start upgrades. In the meantime buy some more records!

8. Leonthepro

Its stated why in the thread above since I wanted to avoid repetition but basically, if you want to add spacers on the arm to get a better SRA for your Nag what happens is that the counter weight hits the top of the lid after about 2mm. You need around 4 mm to get optimal SRA and since the Nag weighs more than the Rega Carbon Cart the counter weight needs to be pulled further back on the arm, again getting closer to hitting the lid. If you have to get spacers you got 3 options, stop at 2mm, get an underslung counter weight or stop using the lid.

Hope that helps CC ;^)

9. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Since the 2016 P1 is self biasing, you need to find a cartridge that requires very close to the original VTF of 2.5 or you could have anti-skating problems.

Leonthepro likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Very good point @mneveux . I should have mentioned this myself. A good example, that might be anecdotal, but still relevant and something I hear from others too, is that RP1 users change their anti skate widely depending on cartridges. My original Rega Carbon tracked at 2 grams and was set accordingly to the 2 mark for anti skate and it seemed perfect. Later upgrading to the Nag I listened and felt it to be off somehow. I experimented and found 0.9 to be around the best place for anti skate. Others report 0.8 and similar for that cartridge. Id logically reason that it makes sense because the Nag both tracks less at around 1.5 - 2.0 instead of the Rega Carbons 2.0 - 2.5 grams and also has less contact surface being an elliptical it puts on much less skating force.

I continue to forget that the new Planar 1s dont have the anti skate slider which is sad, only further enforcing Regas lack of upgradeability, despite all the aftermarket mods.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  11. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Right! I'd forgotten he was looking into spacers. Thanks!

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. statik

statik New Member

This is super late, but I just installed the LP Gear elliptical stylus to my Rega Carbon, and I am impressed. A great value at under $30 and it's an immediate improvement, less surface noise and really beautiful separation and detail. I'm not sure if I need to somehow adjust the weight but I though this would be a good, inexpensive choice before dealing with a cartridge upgrade and the potential issues that entails on this turntable.
    Not sure if links are allowed, so here is the model. It's a direct fit to the Carbon, had it on and playing a record in about a minute.
    LP Gear CARBON FIDELITY CFN3600LE stylus

13. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Get a Rega Exact and don't look back.

Sounds gorgeous even on my RP8.

Fishoutofwater and GyroSE like this.
  14. jhon mendez

jhon mendez New Member

can I just apply the mp110 stylus onto the existing Rega cartridge??

15. Leonthepro

No. You need to replace the whole thing, you get screws and tools in your mp110 package. I would also recommend small nose pliers.

16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree, I would also go for a Rega cart in this case. Rega Exact is a very good sounding cartridge that probably will bring all the best out of the P1.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.