Replacing the Shure M97xE Cartridge/Stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by retroboxman, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Again, it's a conical stylus, overhang is not as important. I would try to adjust it on the PNP headshell unless you want to risk destroying your new cartridge. Ortofon doesn't guarantee operation when you disassemble the PNPs for a reason.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No, depending on your turnable it will either adjust VTA or it will simply make sure the stylus doesn't scrape across the record when the auto-return mechanism engages.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Jico styli are made in Japan, period. If you want to be sure you're getting genuine Jico, it will come in a Jico box. The safest way to do this is to order from Jico direct from Japan, not a third party seller. Some sellers will push their house brand made by Jico - sometimes these styli are lower quality than what Jico offers directly.

Some Shure products before the recent closure were made in Mexico. These were Shure OEM products and had nothing to do with Jico whatsoever.

4. rumdog007

rumdog007 New Member

Hello, please tell me what is TVOM. Thank you!

5. retroboxman

retroboxman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all - I am having a hard time finding an official page/price for the JICO replacement stylus for the M97XE. I am seeing everything from $99 to $299. Can someone help me with the JICO link and perhaps the model number of the replacement stylus for the M97XE?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Travis

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For the time being, LP Tunes is the officially designated US seller for Jico branded styli. They have several genuine Jico models listed on this page:

Search Results

7. retroboxman

So which model is the stylus that transforms the M97XE into a powerhouse? I see a handful that are compatible.

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I don't have an M97xE, so I can't tell you. The M97xE experts in this thread can weigh in.
    I think I would be happy with the basic .3 x .7, and I would feel secure that it is Jico brand.

9. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I'm no turntable expert but when I purchased a lightly used music hall 5 about a decade ago, it came without a cart.

So I went with a M97xE and was generally happy with it. Somewhere along the way I acquired a jico and started using it with improved results (tracking @ 1.25). The brush isn't used as all LP's always come fresh off a Nitty Gritty. Playing LP's is exclusive to needle drops, not general listening. I always record at 24/96 and store everything as flac.

Not too much soul, but was just playing (flac) Staples Singers APO 45 of I'll take You There & Respect Yourself (by our Host) recorded with the M97xE/jico, I don't find this to be overkill. LoL - not by a longshot.

10. LP Gear is another U.S. distributor and they have 2 Jico's to choose from and have good prices. I've always heard about the Jico SAS but I see they have a better one called the neo SAS. If you can afford to experiment, buy one of each. You are the final judge of if there actually is an improvement in sound. Opinions of others are just opinions and not fact.
    Here is a link to LP Gear's Jico pages:
    JICO stylus,JICO needle stylus,JICO stylus needle,JICO cartridge stylus,JICO styli,JICO needle styli,JICO styli needle,JICO cartridge styli

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Get the original ($197) SAS.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. retroboxman

Do you have a link or a model number?

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

14. retroboxman

Friends on this thread. I have an opportunity to purchase a Pioneer PL-530 tomorrow in near pristine condition for $250. I am thinking I am going to pull the trigger to have it as a secondary table (I own a PL-550).

Aside from the common things to look for when inspecting it, are there any specific things I should look or listen for when testing it before purchase?

Is that a fair price in your estimation?

Thanks for your opinion(s),

Travis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.