Resident Alien TV show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nomadicarchivist, Feb 23, 2021.

1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Last night was okay. First time I was a little underwhelmed. A waste of the talent of Terry O'Quinn.

I think 10 episodes is about right for this season. I hope it goes out strong.

I think it will be hard to keep the magic going in Season 2.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Rob Zarzecki likes this.
  2. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

The first five or six episodes were great, the last couple have had a lot of filler. The relationships between the Mayor & his wife, and between the Sheriff and Deputy, have taken up more time than needed. The karaoke was the worst.

That being said, a Mayan Day Planner did pique my interest.

Vidiot and Nomadicarchivist like this.
  3. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am now wondering who the 30 year old abductee from the womb could turn out to be...

4. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Tudyk’s sotto voce commentary of Terry O Quinn’s descriptions of all the various aliens was hysterical.

Deuce66, Vidiot, jpelg and 2 others like this.
  5. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Per Asta’s father, the Mayor?

Nomadicarchivist and chrischerm like this.
  6. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident Thread Starter

GREAT season ending episode IMHO. Arresting the OTHER doctor was great spin and the music playing during the assault scenes was funny as h&ll

lc1995, Deuce66, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Agree. A winning ending and a clever way to set up a Season 2.

chrischerm likes this.
  8. jrice

jrice Senior Member

So will the kid be the resident alien on the other planet in season 2?

9. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

"Oh, no. I forgot the pizzas."

chrischerm likes this.
  10. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Love when Harry pulls out a vintage expletive.

chrischerm likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Our new favorite expression is <in deadpan Alien voice> "this is SOME bullspit!" (Only with the real word.)

We caught up with the finale last night and thought it was excellent. There's some big laughs, a few tears, and some real surprises. Plus the most bizarre use of the song "Sharing the Night Together" you can possibly imagine. I laughed so long and so loud, the neighbors complained. This is a rare show that turned out to be far better than I ever expected. I actually got a little affected by the alien's collapse realizing that he actually loved the girl.

One tiny flaw with the ending: they should've brought back Linda Hamilton in order to get knocked out with the rest of the Men in Black agents. No doubt she'll be back for Season Two, already announced...

Resident Alien's Alan Tudyk Talks The 'Relief' Of Getting Renewed Before The Finale

I'm still not sure if they shot the show before or after the pandemic began, but it's pretty amazing they could do all that for a cable TV budget. There's some dodgy effects here and there -- even the shot of the town and the distant mountains is pretty cheap-looking -- but the stories and characters are generally very good. I think it suffers whenever Tudyk isn't front-and-center, but when he's reacting to things, it's pretty interesting. And the surprise reveal about his original human character throws an interesting twist into the show.

"The Grays are ***holes!" Hilarious.

I saw a promo for Resident Alien on SyFy, and they proclaimed it "The #1 Drama on Cable!", whatever that means. First, it's not exactly a drama... secondly, what is cable TV these days? But I think we can assume it's the highest-rated new SyFy show they've had in a long time. Reviews are really, really positive.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  12. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

Really enjoyed Resident Alien, so glad it's been renewed, they can have loads of fun going forward. Bring on season 2

chrischerm likes this.
  13. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

It has over a million live viewers every episode which is outstanding for a SyFy show in 2021.

It's definitely a drama, a comedy drama.

I am very impressed with the show, I didn't even think I'd like it considering Sci Fi is not my jam.

14. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

And "D-Bag"

I like the kids a lot, the look on Max's face, and body language, in the diner, when he reaches out to shake hands when sealing the deal to cooperate, cracks me up.

Yes, the surprise reveal 5 Month Flashback, just tossed in, along with the Fetus stolen 30 years ago, will be huge in Season 2 ( which, by the way is when?)

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wonder if they shot two different endings for this episode? one for renewal and another if this was a one and done season? Overall I really liked EP 10, a few twists and quite a few laughs. Now the long wait begins.

16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Really enjoyed this series, been a fan of Alan Tudyk for years so it's great to see him getting a starring role like this, especially as it seems to have been a hit.

Seems strange to hear the f-word though, as in every other way this feels like a family show to me!

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think the F-word is there, but they have quite a few other colorful expressions.

18. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

They blank out the f word. It is a family show because otherwise they would have graphic violence and uncensored f bombs like SyFy/USA's other shows

19. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Really? It's been shown here in the UK with several clearly audible and uncensored f-words.

20. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I'm in love with all of the women of Patience.

I vote that season 2 have one episode devoted to each of them & their respective backstories!

Nomadicarchivist and lc1995 like this.
  21. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

The US is weird and saying the f word was nonexistent on basic cable until recently.

Graphic violence however, has been okay for a long time

Phil Tate and Nomadicarchivist like this.
  22. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I have a crush on both Asta and the Mayor's wife

jpelg likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

What??

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Season 2 teaser, well not really.

25. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident