Resolder one of the arm to cart connector on Rega RP8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I installed my new ania on my RP8 today, during the process I noticed the wire connector was a bit too wide for the cart plug (only the green one strangely): surely my former cart had bigger connectors...

While trying to squeeze it a bit with a pinch, I twisted the wire and felt it broke a bit. The wire is still connected to the end but a butt loose.
    Right now the table is playing fine, no sound issue and I am enjoying the new cart.

However, I'd kike to know if I could try to resolder it myself, if a professional could do it or if this needs going back to REGA ?
    (for what it's worth, my soldering skills are really bad !).

Or should I just leave it a bit loose and worry about it on my next cartridge switch ?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The last option, leaving it until you need a cartridge swap, is best since you don't hear any problems. If you begin to hear any noise or drop-outs, then you should take-up your second option, which was to have a professional service tech repair it. It is a very tiny wire and a very small piece of connector to solder together and it's a difficult job to do well without a lot of practice and very nice equipment. It can be done with standard iron and solder as long as you can keep the joint still, but better tools and solder make for a proper repair, so have it done professionally when needed.
    -Bill

Fishoutofwater and timind like this.
  3. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

The only difficulty with soldering the clip is that solder tends to flow right into the opening making the clip unusable. So here’s a tip that solves that problem. Take a skinny toothpick and insert it into the clip. Then solder the lead to the clip using the bare minimum of heating time. That will prevent solder from flowing into the clip. Works every time.

Fred Hansen and dianos like this.
  4. Tartifless

I guess I'll follow your advice.

I think when the time comes I'll be more at ease with a full rewire than relying on my soldering skills

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

My advice is that that is completely unnecessary. Just get the clip resoldered if needed by someone who can do a good job the first time.
    -Bill

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  6. Tartifless

Ok, si i am bringing my arm tomorrow to a specialized shop that will solder cardas clips (those that adapt to the pins).

In the meantime I have mounted a rb330 with exact cart.
    I am a bit disappointed with the exact (I kept it as backup cart) as it sounds a bit closed compared with the ania... Maybe some break-in is required. However this cart is amazingly silent !

Marshall_SLX likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, that should be nice, I used Cardas clips when I rewired my Thorens tonearm and they worked out really nice, easy to use and good connections ...

[​IMG]

Marshall_SLX and Roycer like this.
  8. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

I had those clips put on my P5 and P7 RB700 arms after a similar accident... really makes cart changes a million times easier and they are more secure fitting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.