Rest in Peace - George Osaki (music industry, art director and designer) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FatherMcKenzie, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident Thread Starter

George Osaki passed away a few nights ago in his sleep. I have nothing further at this time about that.

I enjoyed working around George a lot. He and his staff were some of the best and most professional people at MCA.

He was responsible for many, many album covers (Capitol and MCA). He designed several of The Beatles' covers for the America marketplace while employed at Capitol. His sole creative effort can be seen on the front and back cover of "The Beatles' Second Album" based on his idea utilizing licensed photos (amongst others, I also believe he either worked on The Beatles butcher cover or its replacement or both).

vonwegen likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

George with Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington...

Corbis-PN017403.jpg

3. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

vonwegen likes this.
  4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Rest in Peace, George. And thank you.

Isn't that Jo Jo Billingsley with him? Wow, she died June 24, 2010.

Wow, I completely missed this thread.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Found this through a quick search.

http://www.lafuneral.com/obituary/George-Osaki/Hermosa-Beach-CA/1150264

Even Cameron Crowe posted a comment, 11 months ago.

George Osaki taught me a lot as a young journalist. I was often writing and touring with Lynyrd Skynyrd, and George was clearly their favorite guy at the record company. He was their ambassador of class and style. He was beyond loyal, and his personal generosity showed us all how it was done. When Skynyrd encountered their 1977 tragedy, few knew that George was one of the first guys on the scene... taking command, still helping the band in those awful final minutes. He was a hero and an unforgettable dude. And of course -- not even Elvis could top his sideburns. Love you, George.
    Cameron

1970 likes this.
  6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

He also did the Skynyrd "flame cover" album and some shots that became posters.

7. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I see this is an old thread but I missed it the first time around. The man did some beautiful work. The excellent covers in that great 12 " format were another reason vinyl was superior to all subsequent formats.

Thanks for giving us something interesting to look at while we listened to all that music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.