Restored Thorens TD 160 Compared to New Production Turntables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Off topic, but what cartridges are you guys using on your 160s?

Gasman1003 likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

For the Thorens, as well as AR, I use and recommend the Herbie's Way Excellent mat. I've tried the cork one - Herbie's is Way better (pun intended).

caravan70 and Gasman1003 like this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I think you meant to say cast zinc, not iron.

The outboard boxes are AC-DC-AC power supplies that are used to regenerate the AC power using a higher precision (hopefully) frequency reference and (in some cases) a means to adjust the frequency, usually via digital synthesis. In any case, Thorens and AR both used AC synchronous motors. Thorens were powered direct from AC line, but later models used low voltage motors, typically 16-24VAC, whereas AR used (I think) a Pabst motor driven directly from the AC line. I think the problem with the AR is that it is a higher power motor, so many of the aftermarket controllers don't have the juice. Most of the more affordable ones have pretty high distortion compared to some of the better controllers available too.

Gasman1003 and bever70 like this.
  4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I have Denon dl110 and Ortofon MC3-turbo which are both great combination with the original Tp16 arm, didn't like the combination with my AT VM540ML. In the past I also used some Shure mXX (memory gets foggy sometimes, could have been m92 or m95 or ...).

Gasman1003 and rischa like this.
  5. bever70

You are right, got the materials mixed up ;).

My Td165 also has the Tp11 mk1 arm which is a pretty different design from the Tp16 on the Td160. I cannot say though if that Tp11 mk1 was standard on the 165 or if they also came with the Tp16 at one time....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  6. For some reason, I don't recall that difference. Perhaps because I had an early model.

7. I didn't recall that Thorens had AC models, either! Did the 125 also have an AC motor?

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yes, the TD 125 had built in electronic 2-phase speed control to drive the AC synchronous motor, may have been the first of it's kind. They did go to a DC motor in the TD 126 and it's derivatives in the late 70s, along with the more complex control circuitry, until the TD 320 series in the mid 80s went back to AC synchronous motors and the 2-phase electronic control. In the case of those later tables, the AC synchronous motors are lower voltage. I have a TD-320, I think the motor is 16 VAC, nice analog motor control, no digital. I have mine moved to a separate box with a new power supply, along with some other changes ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  9. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Beautiful!

McLover and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

How would you compare the sound of the TD125 to the TD150?

11. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I'm currently using a Hana SL on my VN TD-160 Super.

Gasman1003 and rischa like this.
  12. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I started with a 2M Bronze on my TD-160 Super and the same options you outlined and was quite happy. :righton: The Dynavector took it to another level, and the Cruise Control provided further improvement.

Tim Irvine likes this.
  13. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Ortofon 2M Black.

Suits the table/tonearm combination, the rest of my system and the types of music I listen to.

rischa likes this.
  14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I like your DIY controller. Nice work!

However, some of your facts are off. Only the TD126 MK III contained a DC motor. All of the other Versions of the TD126 contained an electronically controlled AC motor just like the TD125 did.

Also, none of the other Thorens models which came in-between the introduction of the 126 MK III and the TD 320 featured DC motors. All of these featured mains-driven synchronous motors.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Davey likes this.
  15. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Good info on here which I'll absorb later when time permits. By chance a retired couple in our village (UK) were clearing out a lot of stuff a month ago prior to moving house and I ended up with their old stereo including a rather tired TD160. The good things about it were that the mechanics worked and the early 70s plinth and lid were undamaged (rare), so I've been doing it up and will post later. I think it's a 160B as it has the black strip along the front - is this right?

rischa and Gasman1003 like this.
  16. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Mine is a TD 160B MkII

The engineer who serviced it told me B just meant base, ie without fitted Thorens tonearm.

SandAndGlass and bever70 like this.
  17. GurraG

GurraG Senior Member

They are different. However, it is difficult to compare and relate the differences to being td150 or td125 as tonearms, cartridges, mats, cables et cetera are all different and in different price brackets as well.

What I can say is that the td125 is superior, with a lot more solid sound with better staging, details and all that hifi stuff. The td150 is a little more forgiving with poor recordings, but not as rewarding with good ones or more worn records. That last thing is more a question of stylus geometry than the deck though.

HiFi Guy 008 and bever70 like this.
  18. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

bever70 likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Stromberg-Carlson invented the 3 point suspended belt drive turntable. The PerfecTempo. AR's Edgar Villchur improved on it, Thorens improved on it much more, and Ariston, later on, Linn pushed and is still pushing the boundaries of this type of turntable technology. I prefer the Thorens.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

AR did not use a Papst motor nor Thorens. AR uses Haydon motor, later Airpax. Thorens used their own motor. Empire used a Papst Hysteresis-Synchronous motor, as did Rek-O-Kut models with GH motor (German Hysteresis, ELAC/Miracord also used them in the PW 40H, 50H, 50H II, and 770 changers.

21. bever70

22. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I should probably save my money and upgrade my TD160 later.

bever70 likes this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Similar performance, but the electronic speed control added on the TD 125.

Tim Irvine and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  24. I have a Thorens TD 147 Jubilee and a Rega P5. The Rega is the better Table. Plain and simple. And the Rega never skips. I admit the RB700 arm is a thing of beauty compared to the stock Thorens arm so that's likely where most of the sonic superiority lies. But also yes, sprung tables are a total PITA for day to day living and have been in every house I have lived in for the last 40 plus years...too many to count.

Having said that, the Thorens is a beautiful piece of old world charm and workmanship and I doubt I'll ever let it go.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  25. bever70

So you must have had springy floors in all your houses over those 40 years? Come to Eu, we don't have springy floors so we don't have any problems with sprung tables :righton:!

Gasman1003 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.