Rethinking the whole nas thing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bart, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

why wouldn't it? the OS is running, it needs to read and write data from the HD's just to operate. And those logs show a minimal amount of activity, just a few blocks being read/written.

oh we're talking about spin-down, ok. hmmmm on my synology there's a log that will list why hibernation isn't activated when the NAS checks to see if it should sleep, if there's an equivalent log on the QNAP that might be helpful.

2. Bart

Bart Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a note from the QNAP support person who reviewed the logs, and he said, "Looking at the attached logs, the internal load average is very high for some reason, but it's not clear about what's causing it." They'll follow up, but it's not normal activity. Yes -- there's a logging function as the discs won't go into standby / hibernation, ever.

3. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Can you wipe & rebuild from scratch?

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Cloud is for those who like to take risks, cloud providers come and go. And many ISP's moving that kind of data is exceeding your data caps. Only Cloud I trust is one that I have Root access to, and is in my control.

formu_la, ispace and jusbe like this.
  5. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

That's virtually every company in the world now using cloud storage.

6. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Aurender N100 with 4 terabytes of on-board storage and integrated streaming (Tidal, Qoboz, Spotify) is easy to set up, easy to use, and silent.

7. PopularChuck

and a lot of them are buying it from Amazon Web Services, which isn't going anywhere, given that it owns about half of the world's public cloud computing infrastructure and AWS sales account for about 12 percent of Amazon's annual revenue.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

AWS won't go away. But the companies buying and using AWS for their cloud storage offerings can certainly go away. Once one of those companies stops paying Amazon your cloud storage will go away.

formu_la, ispace and jusbe like this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And they have faster Internet connections than most consumers have, and their business accounts do not have data caps. Most of us in the USA do not have these advantages, and if these companies are wise, it's not their only backup method and strategy either.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Again, they likely also still use NAS equipment too, have other forms of backup as well as Cloud. And they have IT consulting companies or in house IT departments. They also have faster business Internet connections than most any consumer can get, and also have NO DATA CAPS! Yes, Amazon AWS is a stable company which should be there for the long haul. That would be the Cloud company to use. But most capped consumer ISP services have a 1TB or less data cap, and far slower upload, especially in areas where fiber to the home is not available to consumers. Not everyone has really fast internet, nor can get it.

11. Rattlin' Bones

I use iCloud.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use my own Cloud, which I own and control and have root access to. While it is not AWS grade, it is better than small business enterprise grade. But I also have NAS, SSD, and other forms of backup!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  13. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Can you run a health check on the drives in the NAS? Maybe one of the new ones is failing? It can happen...

14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I work at a company that's 100% cloud-based for our own infrastructure (Snowflake Computing), and my role is building snowflake deployments on AWS. If anyone's got any questions in this area and wants to discuss it in general shoot me a DM :)
    always happy to talk nerd stuff

McLover likes this.
  15. PopularChuck

I'm confident Google (which I use for cloud storage of photos and documents created with Drive) isn't going anywhere, but be that as it may, all of my digital music is ripped to the hard drive in my Aurender, backed up on three different solid state drives, and, of course, still exists on the physical CDs in my closet. None of it is in the cloud.

Yes, Fly By Night Data Storage LLC may go under and take someone's collection, but big players like DropBox are probably about as likely to go bankrupt as your house is to burn down. I'd wager the small risk of fire or flood doesn't prevent you from storing your music at home.

16. kmurp

kmurp Forum Resident

May I ask how one sets cloud storage up for streaming music? A quick search shows that one has to subscribe to apple music to use iCloud and I'm on Spotify.

ispace likes this.
  17. Rattlin' Bones

I meant there are so many options that I think personal storage devices like hard drives however they may be connected are getting obsolete. Store ripped or downloaded music in the many cloud storage options available. Also can stream music via such sources as Tidal. I didn't mean to associate the two other than they're two solutions.

18. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Which cloud storage are you using? I'm looking to store my important photos, videos, and music remotely.

I'm also going to PM you. :)

19. Rattlin' Bones

iCloud.

Tony Caldwell likes this.
  20. Bart

The issue is that the disks are being accessed, apparently, constantly. QNAP support has been taking logs; they are analyzing.

21. Bart

I could do that. I'm going to wait and see what qnap support come back with first.

dcarwin likes this.
  22. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Raspberry Pi (silent) running OpenMediaVault and Minidlna. Plug in some silent USB storage (SSD, HDD, USB stick according to taste) into a silent USB hub. Very cheap to try out and you’re backed up on Dropbox so not much risk.

23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see if you mentioned what drives you’re using, other than them being manufactured by Seagate. Are these SMR drives or CMR drives? For SMR drives to be rewritten can take well over a week, they are that slow. They are best for archival WORM applications - like a music server that pretty much wont get written to again once it’s loaded up.

Are the disks actually doing any read/write operations? Or are they just spinning? You could probably configure your spindown times if that’s the case. If they are actually doing constant reads/writes it would be imperative to figure out what’s causing that. Putting the NAS in another room won’t solve the problem. And SSDs will like that behavior even less.

ispace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.