Revelation of a DVD-A latecomer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel1963, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Up to late yesterday, my equipment has included a surround sound stereo system with DVD-V, with which I have listened to many nice sounding DVD-As in Dolby Digital 5.1 and (even better) DTS; and a mini DVD stereo system with DVD-A in stereo, but it's not good enough to really convey hi-rez sound.

Well, yesterday, my brother bought a DVD-recorder, featuring DVD-A playback in stereo, connected to a decent stereo sound system. What a pleasure it was to see the hi-rez menu on Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Listened in stereo. Whoa, beautiful creamy sound, especially on Dreams and Silver Springs. I've been missing a fair bit. No multi-ch DVD-A yet, though.

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

LOL...joel...the best part about DVD-A IS the Surround!!!!

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I prefer stereo over multi-channel. That's just me. :)

Joel, glad to hear you are enjoying DVD-Audio. I've read many comments similar to yours from people moving from the DVD-Video layer to the DVD-Audio layer. Oh, and the Rumours DVD-Audio disc is great. :)

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeh, that was the selling point on this end, too.... :goodie:

:ed:

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

I know, I know, but I take what I can get for now. The stereo ain't no slouch. :)

6. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Check out Porcupine Tree's In Absentia Dvd-A for a great 2 channel and 5.1 surround disc! Modern progressive rock at its best! :edthumbs:

Evan

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:edthumbs: :righton: :righton: :edthumbs: :agree: :thumbsup:

8. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Joel, welcome to hi-rez!

I can still remember the thrill of listening to hi-rez at home for the first time. You just have to try and listen to it in surround. If the mix and the mastering are correctly done you'll be amazed.

A DVD-A that's been playing more than usual on my equipment on account of a wonderful 5.1 mix (and a good stereo one) is Beck's "Sea Change". I can understand why it won one (or was it two?) of the Surround Awards this year. Just one note: all of it is a little laid-back and the lyrics are all about lost love, but if you just listen to the music itself it's like a chill-out album.

Meanwhile enjoy hi-rez however you can: stereo, 5.1... it's all about the goosebumps, man!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.