Review of Butcher Block Acoustics brand Audio Platforms. What is under your components?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marka, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Should not have clicked on that link lol
    I see a block for my TT on the wall mount and one for my MA6300

timind and Steve Hoffman like this.
  2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I agree totally. In my system, vibration devices make an even larger sonic difference than cable swaps.

3. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

For electronics, I usually place each foot of any piece on top of hockey pucks. For turntables, I use Boos Blocks (solid maple) for non-suspended tables, like my Technics SL1200MK2 or SL1210MK5, and have one base made out of African black granite for my Empire 598.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'ner

gmcjj likes this.
  4. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Learned a trick from the AR guys, if you have an open plinth, cut a piece of open cell foam and put it under the table...they say it make a big difference, eats up any noise....I’m going to do that with my TT project I’m currently in the middle of...isolation platform, a little foam....job well done...

5. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I certainly prefer the aesthetic of wood but for all out performance I have not found better than Symposium Platforms used in conjunction with Rollerblock Jr's.

6. Ingenieur

Ordered the one for amp. 1.5", 18x19, black spikes.

I need to ponder the TT for a while, it's solid and isolated well. Going to bring my vibration analyzer tool from work and see what's what. lol
    But the 'cool' factor may prevail over engineering.

I may get the board alone, drill some dimples, and replace the platform that came with the wall mount. Maybe glue the spikes 'dimpled washer' to the board to sit on the wall mounts spikes.

7. Ingenieur

Mine showed up today. Very high quality, good value imo. Haven't listened yet but honestly my ears aren't good enough to hear minute differences.

But it looks good!
    Contemplating a custom one for the TT.
    Replace the existing platform, have some shallow countersunk holes milled and glue some metal spike floor protector disks in.
    Measure to accept the existing wall mount spikes.

[​IMG]

Geoduck and 33na3rd like this.
  8. mds

mds Forum Resident

I use these same manufacturer's butcher blocks under each of my amplifiers which had been sitting on my wool carpet that covers a yellow pine floor. The amplifiers come stock with solid thick aluminum outriggers that have heavy rubber feet attached to each end of the outriggers. These now reside on the butcher block platforms. The main reason I bought the butcher blocks for each amplifier was to raise them off the carpet so there would be better airflow under the amplifiers. I did not like the butcher blocks just sitting on the carpet, kind of floating on the carpet so I added four heavy metal cones in each corner of the butcher block platforms. Did I hear a difference or not, I didn't, but I did increase the air flow and added to their aesthetics.

I added a expensive feet under my DAC and that did make a powerful difference in sound. These are the same feet that came stock on my Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3 Extreme. I was told by Andy Tebbe when I auditioned the peramplifier that these feet were a critical part of why the preamplifier sounded so good along with the many other features Bob Backert builds into his preamplifiers. The difference I heard with the DAC makes me believe these feet must also have a profound effect on the preamplifier. I am a believer in isolating equipment from the surfaces they are set on even if I did not hear the difference with the amplifiers. The DAC and preamplifier are on a solid rack with heavy wood shelves which are supported by heavy aluminum legs that are terminated in cones. Even with this quality rack the addition of those feet under the equipment made a significant sound improvement, so racks alone are not the answer.

33na3rd and OC Zed like this.
  9. Ingenieur

Quick follow up. When my butcher block came they were out of stock for the 2"x 2" cork isolators. Was not planning on using them anyways and had forgot about it.
    They arrived yesterday. The fact that they followed up is impressive imo, a customer oriented operation. Some would have let it 'float' until I called.

They are pretty stiff, imo not suitable for my TT, but I've put them between the concrete pavers and the platform that my amp sits on.

10. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I just ordered a three inch thick BBA platform for my Boulder 1060. I included the massive brass spikes in the order. I'll post pics when it arrives and is setup.

marka, Andy Saunders and Ingenieur like this.
  11. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

teag, G E, timind and 7 others like this.
  12. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

I currently use Townshend Audio Seismic Platform. I've found it to be a laugh-out-loud experience in some cases. I once took it to a friend's house and placed it under his turntable and we played a Simon and Garfunkel album. It sounded great, but I wasn't happy with the placement of the Nordost support cones he had under his integrated, so I moved them, probably 1/16". Suddenly, you could hear the nasality of Paul Simon. You could've heard it even if you were completely drunk. I moved the platform springs so they were entirely vertical (they're springs, so they can be less than perfectly "12 o'clock - 6 o'clock" (perfectly vertical). And then my friend burst out with, "You can hear the space around him," - which you could. I had the original Townshend Seismic Sinks back in the '90s, but never had quite the luck with them others did. And as it turned out, someone broke their Seismic Sink and discovered it had an inner tube in it.

You might want to try an inner tube and balance a piece of mdf board - or, as another poster did - butcher block. Even though it might not "squish" vibration in the vertical plane, it's similar to the Townshend's seismic sink in its effect. And it's cheap to try out.
    I also have the Townshend Isolation pods. Similar effect to the platform, but the platform is audibly better. And you can use them under anything, not just speakers, although you wouldn't know it by Townshend's advertising. I've used them under a JVC Z-1050TN CD player, and it brought the performance way up! Yeah, baby! That CD player could now rock!

I think before getting an amp or nearly anything, a person needs to eliminate vibration, because no matter how good your amp, it the components ahead of it are vibrating, that's what the amp is going to reproduce. When I had a Versa Dynamics turntable, the designer recommended concrete slabs (the Versa had its own isolation built in, but this improved it, said he. And he was right! But carrying a 150 pounds slab of concrete from the car to the house was a workout in itself. Fortunately, I was 30 years younger, so it wasn't too bad.
    My motto? "Kill the vibration and your system will instantly sound better." Just don't kill off the harmonics and "air" in the system. I just now removed a Neuance platform I'd bought back in 2004, because I was complaining - on these pages - about how my system sounded tonally "off." Well, the Neuance was built specifically for my ASL Hurricanes (the giant economy size), and not for smaller components (under 50 pounds). I had moved the Audio Research integrated onto it, and today I moved it off of it and onto a different platform (MDF board on spikes) - just out of curiosity - and the tonal issue vanished. So, not every "isolation platform" is good, although most do a creditable job. I also have a large carbon-fiber platform, all the rage in 1996, as a shelf. I'll have to try it with the Townshends just for kicks sometime soon. I'm just glad I finally realized it was the Neuance platform that was kicking the Audio Research's butt - and not in a good way! Anyone could make the mistake. Like I said, not every highly touted platform is going to sound good under your components.

Hi-Fi Vibration isolation platform for CD players, turntables, DACs, preamplifiers, power amplifiers, streamers and computers

Seismic Isolation Pods - www.townshendaudio.com

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  13. T-Ray2005

T-Ray2005 Member

New to the forum, lots of awesome info! Been collecting and playing vinyl since I was a kid but somewhat new to audiophilia lol.

First question is how much difference is there between the 1-3/4" and 3" as a turntable isolation pad? Is it worth twice the cost to go the full 3"?

Second question is if it's going to accomplish my goal which is to possible eliminate vibration distortion sitting on top of my Grundig stereo console. Right now the turntable is on its own separate stand but seems that as my kids get older my "hobby space" inevitably shrinks a little more and now I'm having to consider consolidating space and moving my turntable (music hall classic) from stand to on top of my console.

My budget will probably never allow for a top-level audiophile set up but I try to get the best sound with what I have to work with...

I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions!

14. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

There's no easy answer for that: you have to hear the component in your own system. I bought a 3" maple butcher block platform once, and yet, it didn't improve the sonics the way I expected it to. I think it's more how well something isolates the component from the floor/air vibrations. If you have a really big room, the vibrations (or so I've observed) are spread out over a wider area, and are therefore "thinned out" (less vibration over a 3,00 sq. foot room, than over a 1,000 sq. foot room). I once had my system in a 23 x 45 foot room and it sounded spectacular. Then I moved into another space, had a 13 x 20 foot room, and although the sound was still great, it was not quite as good, despite the fact that the room was built on a resilient channel, and had Acoustic Sciences Wall Damp system in the room, which meant two layers of drywall (f different thicknesses, so they didn't vibrate at the same frequency) with small square squishy pads in between the 1/2" drywall and the 3/4" drywall, making the walls "stiffer." Theoretically, it should've been superior. But it wasn't (I was a little disheartened by that, frankly). I once heard my Arcam FMJ 23 in the room of a very rich man, whose room was 30 x 50 with no acoustic dampening of ANY kind, and I found myself shaking my head and thinking, "So, THIS is what my CD player REALLY sounds like?!?" It was quite the lesson, let me tell you. And he only had mid-fi Infinity speakers and patch cord speaker cable. Very humbling. I had to laugh. And also, I came away thinking, "size matters!" But he had a ton of space for the vibration to dissipate in, and also the CD player was in another room.

So, to put it in a nutshell, if you have less space, you need to make sure you kill off all the vibration you can. And so the thickness of a platform is less important than whether or not it is killing off vibration. That's my experience, but others may have a different one (which I would expect, since our rooms are all different in construction and size). I've never heard a system sound precisely the same in two different rooms, even if the sound was great in each room!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    G E, T-Ray2005 and jfeldt like this.
  15. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but can someone chime in regarding the need for "feet" under a Butcher Block? I'm thinking of putting a block under my turntable which is on a small chest of drawers. Initially I figured keeping the block flat with no feet would be the way to go, but really I have no idea. Thoughts? Thanks

16. JamsOnly

JamsOnly Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I’ve had mine for a year or so, completely satisfied with no issues.

Dignan2000, Ingenieur, timind and 3 others like this.
  17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I just purchased the new Butcher Block Acoustics midnite black isolation base for my turntable. I’m really happy with it. I posted a review on my new YouTube channel.

OC Zed and timind like this.
  18. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I hadn't seen this thread until now I got a Butcher Block Acoustics 1.5" white ash platform to put under my amp, really for aesthetic reasons I had a cheap old two piece amp stand that I hated. With my new to amp having to sit on the floor I wanted a new stand, BBA was great instantaneous order confirmation and shipping I had my platform within 3 days and love it. Did it help the sound? No idea I retubed my preamp around the same time but things do sound great and the fact that the wood matches my amp so well is a bonus.

[​IMG]

19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have been doing quite a bit of listening and I think the low end sounds just a smear tighter. Could be just me. I have been fiddling with VTA, etc of late as well.

20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I have to say that's paying $3K for the McIntosh name because this is what it is and it sounds like BBA with a Mac logo on it:

"Both the AS125 and AS901 are made from sustainably sourced solid white ash, an incredibly strong and durable wood, and resistant to scratches and dents. And these boards are constructed using a face-glued technique with edge grain top, which provides extreme strength, durability, and stability, finished with multiple coats of jet-black stain, with a catalyzed lacquer topcoat to provide added vibrancy and depth to the finish.

Each have a 3" (7.62cm) thick wood slab to firmly hold the gear. The feet have a protective pad on the bottom to protect floors and minimize vibrations. Each includes a faceplate with the McIntosh logo that can be illuminated green via the Power Control ports. The wood slab is made by Symbol Audio, who have received Silver Exemplary status from the Sustainable Furnishings Council. Final assembly, packing, and shipping is done at the McIntosh Laboratory factory in Binghamton, NY.

Suggested retail price (VAT, shipping and any customs duties excluded) are $3,000 USD for the AS125 and $3,500 USD for the AS901."

22. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

Bumping this older thread due to a tremendously positive experience with Butcher Block Acoustics. My rack is a custom piece built from thermally modified white ash - very beautiful and unique but is unfortunately susceptible to acoustic feedback from both foot falls as well as my speakers (KEF R7 + REL sub) which really impacted my Rega P8.

Tried an Isoacoustics ZaZen first...didn't seem to make much of a difference (I love their products and have Gaia footers under the R7's but the ZaZen just didn't help). Went for the Rega wall shelf next, and interestingly enough made things worse. I live on the shores of Lake Superior and could actually hear wave energy coming through the walls/shelf/P8. Thought I'd give the 3" maple BBA platform a shot based on good reviews on this forum and others. Absolute magic! It really solved all of my problems and I'm now detecting zero unwanted artifacts coming through the stylus.

And as a side note, initial delivery was goofed up by UPS but BBA dispatched another unit without making me wait to deal with the carrier. Really really solid move on their part.

5 stars for product performance and another 5 for customer service.

jonwoody, 33na3rd and Steve Hoffman like this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I had a Butcher Block Acoustics for my turntable for a while, but replaced it with the isoAcoustics Delos that works even better. Everything is on Naim Fraim racks, which are designed specifically for isolation of the Naim components.

For now the turntable and platform sit on top of the Fraim rack. That works surprisingly well. Later this year the system will be moved to the larger living room. At that point I will once again fasten my Solidsteel WS-5 turntable wall bracket to a plaster-on-brick wall. The Delos platform will still support the turntable there. It's actually sitting on the Solidsteel bracket's MDF board now, with some HRS isolation pucks below it: the latter is more for logistics/fitment than [extra] isolation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  24. G E

G E Senior Member

if you get the maple block from Timbernation and likely ButcherBlock, they will be finished, either with stain and topcoat or just topcoat.

I ordered several shelves and amp stands that were unfinished. Timbernation’s warranty states they need to be finished with varnish, shellac, lacquer, etc for their warranty to be valid.

I used a black DYE and finished with brush on lacquer. Looks great but my wife and kids protested the smell.

teag and jonwoody like this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have a concrete floor covered with carpet. I am considering a wood blocks under a pair of floor standing speakers to get them taller. I currently have them raised a bit using Herbie's threaded gliders.

I like the gliders and was wondering if it makes sense to use them on top of a maple or walnut block from Butcher Block Acoustics? The gliders also allow for tilting if needed.

Also, any recommendations for the wood type -BBA has maple, walnut, red oak or ash?