Review of studio COTL on Doors "Legacy" best of

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

RE: previously unreleased studio version of Celebration of the Lizard on The Doors "Legacy" Best of compilation.

ok, i listened to this COTL a few times.

this has all the hallmarks of a "live" in studio run through, perhaps some of the individual sections were edited from different takes. not sure though.

some interesting musical ideas, at times a little tepid, as though the work is very new to them.

sounds like a feb. 68 attempt. NOT from SP or MH LP sessions. most likely from WFTS. (the liner notes claim this was recorded in "1969/70.")

it's not bad for a run through, but this is clearly not a final master. perhaps this was mixed from a half-hearted stab a creating a master. but as we know, rothchild and john, ray and robbie agreed it didn't work after hearing playbacks. they aborted the effort, and had to come up with material quickly for the WFTS LP--hence all the older songs that made the LP.

if rothchild had not discouraged their efforts, and they had worked at polishing this a little more, they would have had something. this rough take does show great promise. but it really is out of place on a best of compilation. it doesn't sit in the same league with the rest of the compilation tracks.

in summation, studio COTL is cool to hear. i've been curious about it for a long time. but i don't think I'll listen to this version much. too much like examining a historic artifact. in this rough form, listening to it becomes a historical exercise, rather than an act of sonic enjoyment.

i'll listen a few more times, perhaps it will grow on me. but i'll probably end up selling it. the version of COTL on "aquarius 2" is perhaps the definitive version so far.

i hope this is not the resurrection of a trend. does this mean DOORS MANAGEMENT will build another box set around the currently surpressed "Paris Blues?"

COTL on Legacy smells like the "band favorites" CD from the 97 box, and "Essential Rarities/woman is a devil" from the 99 box. Here we go all over again. someone light a match please.

i guess i'm a sucker for buying this. need to control my impulses better. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.