REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

Get Class D Audio SDS power amp, it solve bass bloat problem, too much bass when the Denton drive by NAD M22 V2 power amp.

2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

But I solved the problem with 25 cents worth of insulation tubing.

3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Well, having listen to a number of CDs now I've decided to remove the plugs. Too little bass more often than not and I now do think the overall sound is very slightly muddied. The little extra bass and clarity is preferred.

4. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Ok so now you can enjoy Kenny Burrell "midnight blue" album on the smooth Dentons...

Eyedok, patient_ot and action pact like this.
  5. wim1983

The bass ports is something that contribute to more bass, if you position the speakers in a proper treated space, it will sound fabulous I think, among amp like Marantz, Yamaha, NAD, TEAC, etc it just ok sound not particular great from my experience, so far best match is the Class D Audio SDS power amp I bought from USA.

6. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

The Wharfedales love my Yamaha A-S1100. Bass is really well defined and punchy. Very impressive for their size.

7. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Active Member

First thanks for your observations on the 85th Anniversary Denton’s. I bought mine last June and have loved them since first listen. Recently I saw the 85th Anniversary Denton’s on Music Direct for $899 and got curious about how they perform and have been looking for someone with a review comparing the two. From the reviews I did watch and read they do mention that the 85th Anniversary Model does have more bass than the 80th but beyond that no one said it was a detriment to the music. I guess I’m going to sit and give a little bit more thought before trading in my 80th Denton’s for 85th. I love the sound my Denton’s produce and I’m not looking for more bass at all tbh.

8. wim1983

I've come back with an observation to pair NAD M22 v2 power amp with the Denton, it sound pretty balanced from top to bottom, close to neutral than I thought, thus it's worth to keep the amp I think. Though I think some forward midrange has been ripped off if it's neutral, where some people might think it's too thin sound. From my experience, I think I can live with it, sometimes I might need to hear "flat" all the way, sometimes if I would a little bit more sweet, I might put back the Class D Audio SDS-470C power amp.

9. Dale Smith

Dale Smith Well-Known Member

10. Fishda

Fishda Well-Known Member

Love my dentons. Ella fitzgerald with joe pass sounds so good with these.

Question. Do these get better with bi wiring? I've got a yamaha a1020.it has multiple speakers outputs.a,b and c. Should i just plug 1 cable to a and then another on b? Just making sure i do it right.

Thank you.

CraigC likes this.
  11. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

I tried biwiring, noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever, reverted to standard wiring

timind, Ken Clark and bluemooze like this.
  12. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Don't know why I waited so long, but I finally sold my KEF LS50s. The Wharfedales are just so musical and easy to listen to that I don't need anything else. Thanks to all in this thread.

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I consider the Dentons to be “keepers”. I have not been able to tire of them as I have eventually done with other speakers. I also consider my Lascalas as “ keepers”.

AlecA and bluemooze like this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I guess I do too.

I'm not currently using my Dentons, and they are stored in their cartons, but I can't bear to sell them because I know I will regret it. Someday I'll have a need for small speakers, and that's what I'm hanging onto them for.

I mean, jeez, look at the exceptional grain on my set!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Excellent looking speakers

action pact likes this.
  16. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Can't sell mine either....

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like it is now called the 85th anniversary model, priced at $899 to account for the tariffs ...

18. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

The 85th model is a denton 2.0, with different drivers and cabinets, while the original 80th denton is still on the market for $499.

F1nut and bluemooze like this.
  19. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Might just have to the litton’s with my a-s801

20. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

So without looking at your pictures I would not of picked out the fact that the Walnut veneers were all bookmatched the way they are. My Lintons in Walnut veneer are also bookmatched and I would never of picked that out without seeing your pictures. What's kinda sad in that in a previous life I was a high end custom woodworker that did high end veneer work at times.

timind and action pact like this.
  21. action pact

And, if past years offer any indication, the Dentons will probably be discounted to $399 for the holiday season.

22. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I bought these a couple of years ago. I just called Music Direct and they happily gave me the $399 price on a new pair.

timind and action pact like this.
  23. action pact

SMART MOVE!

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

Did you place an order?

25. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Yes.

timind likes this.