REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

2. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Now I'm all excited to try a pair of the 80th. Any Dynaudio owners compared them? I have the Emit M10.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Absolutely.

4. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of 80th Dentons on Audiomart today. I’ve got Rega RS1’s and like them a lot. I’m guessing the Dentons will have a different character but also enjoyable so I’m hoping to just keep both!

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  5. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I can see that. I have had the rega rs5 in the past and I thought the midrange was so good. Lean sound with really good detail and transparency.
    The dentons and the Regas are such polar opposite, you'll get the best of both worlds! and as small as they are, it is easy to swap multiple times a day.

maglorine likes this.
  6. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I just bought a pair in Walnut. Arriving Friday. I’ll post some thoughts over the weekend when I have a chance to run them a bit. They are used so I expect them to be broken in.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  7. Noel Patterson

I had my finger on the trigger this past weekend, half pulled! I found some on a website from the UK that after shipping, taxes at border, etc, they woukd be just over $700 CAD. Pretty decent deal, but I'm worried I wont like them. I really like my Dynaudios, except the fact they are devoid of character; almost too neutral or dry. Still quite tempted, I think I'm mentally hung up on them being inexpensive speakers and therefore wont be better than what I have.

8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Still on the fence between these and the LS50 :help:

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I’ve been breaking mine in the last week. Paired up with Yamaha A-S501, Peachtree DACitX and Mac Mini server. Lots of Joe Henderson, Jackie McLean and Wayne Shorter. The Dentons sound terrific.

I’ve moved the Elac Debut 2.o’s over to my Onkyo TX-8500 and TT setup.

10. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I thought I saw a used pair on Canuck AudioMart in Manitoba. Might be less complicated and expensive.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  11. Noel Patterson

I did see some on there, $550, and then shipping, wasn't going to be a huge difference in price. I haven't contacted them about maybe a sweeter price, still making up my mind if they'll make me happier than the Dyns.

12. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Then you have to have both. I would start with the LS50s.

13. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got them granite stands - heavy stuff, custom made. Had cheap telescopic studio monitor stands before. Definitely better, more defined bass and better imaging. Also sound seems a tad smoother, and more in order I could say so I can play music louder.
    I hoped they would be mono-colored, but one can't be mad if they've cost only 100 € for a pair.

Also more and more in love with Dentons. Special speakers, definitely keepers for life. I could describe them as all in one speakers - sometimes I could just forget I listen to music and do some other stuff, on the other hand I can also do more analytical listening with them. I work as a singer in the opera and I think I can say they sound very very close to a real sound. Maybe not as loud but timbre and overall character is definitely close. They work great for all genres of music, except new pop maybe - or maybe they are just revealing and I don't like the way it's produced.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    action pact likes this.
  14. Noel Patterson

I've decided not to get them, I don't think they'll be any better than my Dyns, at least for my system, room and listening tastes.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  15. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

UPS came today but since I wasn’t home they didn’t leave them and will now try to deliver them on Monday when I will be working and also NOT HOME. Just like every other weekday. I’m beyond frustrated.

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You can set up a UPS account on the Internet.

You can have the package delivered to a local UPS store near you to hold for you.

You can pick your package up at the UPS store that you have specified, over the weekend.

No extra charge.

bluemooze, bajaed and timind like this.
  17. Rob T

Rob T Active Member

Any chance someone has heard the Dentons and the NHT SuperOne 2.1s on the same system? Both these speakers seem to be hailed as "the little engine that could" of $500 range speakers, and I'm curious to know any thoughts.

18. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

My pair of Dentons arrived today in excellent condition. You wouldn't know they were used at all and the Walnut veneers are sweet looking. Swapped them in for my Rega's, did a basic sub integration, and listened for an hour or so. Pretty impressed so far. I'd almost expected a really toned down treble but that's not what I'm hearing. It's just smooth and buttery. Vocal presence is good. Sweet spot is pretty large as it sounded quite nice while I was moving around the room. They don't have the immediacy of the Rega's but they have a nice heft and rich presentation that's quite engaging. More to come.....

19. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

These have no right to look as good as they do AND sound as good as they do for what I paid.

I don’t know if they’re “accurate” or have all the audiophile approved capabilities described by the words we’ve all read before but they have something about the way they deliver music that just works.

They’re rich without being mellow. Non fatiguing without being dull. Full bodied and yet somehow detailed at the same time. I’ve yet to identify what I’d consider a major weakness.

So now I’m stuck with them.

20. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I have a new Marantz NR1200 and am looking to upgrade (?) From Elac debut 2... is it worth it?

21. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

IMHO Dentons are possibly the best speakers under $500. Definitely audiophile level. Haven't heard Elacs but did test and used some other speakers in simmilar price range and none came close with delivering pure music pleasure. They respond to differences between amplifiers which is a good characteristic for a speaker. It means they deliver pure signal from an amp. But they never sound bad, just different. I like how they sound with my Sansui - fast and smooth. They sounded bigger and "crunchier" with Onkyo, but less transparent. Don't know about synergy with Marantz.

maglorine likes this.
  22. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Thanks for the response! I do love the way they look and I hope they have a bit more of a laid back, just a tad, sound.

Meehael likes this.
  23. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I really like the nice grain on that walnut veneer.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Some have commented that they require a fair amount of break in. Mine were bought used and sounded great out of the box but something to keep in mind when buying new.

25. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

I’ve had a pair of Dentons for about 2 and a half years. I power them with a Music Hall a15.3 (50 WPC) and more recently picked up a little NuPrime 90WPC hybrid power amp that I’ve been running off the Music Hall’s pre outs. The Dentons and Music Hall was my first real 2 channel setup. Always liked the Dentons and still do.

In December I picked up a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225s. After listening to these for a month or two, I think I like the 225s more. Which I was not expecting at all. I know the 225s have more bass with the 6.5” woofer, but they also seem more open if that’s the right word. Feels like there is more air between instruments and drums sound more natural. I noticed the drums when listening Pink Floyd The Wall and the instrument separation when listening to the Les Miserables Broadway cast recording.

I was curious if anyone in here had compared these two and wondered what your thoughts were.