REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Hi all. I've had my Denton 80ths for about a year now. I'd say I'm somewhere around 75 hours of listening on them, very roughly speaking. The speakers I had before them were old, economical Technics 3-way floorstanders with 12-inch subs and blown tweeters lol. Needless to say, when I first got these, they sounded bright to me--significantly more detail but also a bit too bright to my taste. But over the months, I actually felt like the top end relaxed a little and they started sounding a little less bright. (I can't be sure the difference I thought I was hearing was actually what I was hearing, of course...might have just been psychological or due to other variables I wasn't thinking about.) I guess I'd also say the low end might have filled out a little more over time.

Anyway, I can't read through 27 pages of posts, can anyone following this thread please report back on a general consensus for how these sound, specifically with respect to the top end and brightness? Just curious if I'm hearing what others are. (I still think they're a shade bright, by the way.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  2. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Also, regarding grilles (grills?), my friend insisted I finally try them without the grilles on last night, and I did not expect this, but I felt like I heard a difference. The musicians/music sounded a little closer to me, is what I would say, which I feel translated into a little more detail, which I liked, so I'm rolling naked right now. :D I did a search for grilles in this thread and read what others had to say, sounds like some aren't hearing a difference, some are...just wanted to share.

3. raye_penber

raye_penber .

200 + hours of living with the Dentons.
    Monstrous break in period.
    How did they fare?
    Not well, in my system, it transpires.
    There's a lot to like, especially the aesthetic, the low end and solid mid range (which is rich, if not exactly articulate), but, sadly, that's where the buck stops through my gear.
    The top end is so smooth it's practically non existent, and the soundstage has recessed so much over the duration that it's barely even there (in comparison to my budget Diamond 220s, for example).
    Tried 'em in every position I could think of.
    For me, they're just too polite on the top end - to the point of being dull - and the soundstage is boxy and narrow (again, through my gear).
    Maybe I'll look into the Triangle BR03 next, or the Q Acoustics 3030i.
    Open to recommendations.
    Gear and musical taste listed in profile.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    F1nut, ChrisR2060 and CraigC like this.
  4. raye_penber

raye_penber .

*should read 'forward mid range'.
    Long day.

5. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Have you checked to see if the screws of the tweeter are tight and secure? The bass/mid-range driver appears to have no screws at all (unlike the 85th).

6. raye_penber

raye_penber .

They're not actually screws.
    They look like they require an Allen wrench of some size (though are oddly shallow and molded, as if they'll round off under pressure).
    They appear flush under finger pressure, but I'll see if can tighten them up in some way with the appropriate wrench, just to make sure.

7. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

You're on the right track with those. I'd also suggest the Elac DBR62.

raye_penber likes this.
  8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Check out some Kefs, depending on budget, new or used, but anything from Q350, LS50 (Meta or original) or R3 or R300. All will put the sparkle back without being harsh or fatiguing.

raye_penber likes this.
  9. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

If he thinks the Denton 80s are dull, he will hate the Elac DBR62s. Those are very tame speakers.

Super_Grover likes this.
  10. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Considering a used pair of the LS50 Anniversary model (I'm just not into the aesthetic, sadly. Seduced ... by walnut enclosures).

Noel Patterson likes this.
  11. Noel Patterson

They are unique! Perhaps a pair of Spendor would fit the bill, if walnut it must be!

raye_penber likes this.
  12. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Perhaps in the future - currently in the process of buying a house (no mortgage ... going to be recouping for a while).
    This time next year, I'm hoping to be in the position to buy an entire new system from the ground up. I already have a couple of ideas. Long way off yet, but it'll be a tier or two above the current one (which will be relegated to the study).

Pretty.Odd. and Noel Patterson like this.
  13. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Kimd
    Kind of agree with you there, they have their limitations. Why not stepping way up with a pair of 3/5?

14. raye_penber

raye_penber .

How do you find the 350s perform across genres?

15. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Spendor 3/5?
    Out of reach at present, sadly.
    House buying.

16. Noel Patterson

Consistently good actually. They are still breaking in I think, I haven't had them long. I never purchased them to be a forever speaker, but they are pleasantly surprising me enough that I'm in no hurry to replace them.

raye_penber likes this.
  17. raye_penber

raye_penber .

How's the soundstage and separation with hard rock?
    Do you feel you get enough bass?

18. Noel Patterson

Soundstage is incredibly good. Bass very good for a smaller speaker, I do use a sub too tho. Haven't listened to much hard rock lately, but they do a great job on Grateful Dead, etc.

Ivand and raye_penber like this.
  19. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Based on reviews and youtube sound comparison demos, the Polk Reserve R200 might be worth investigating. Listening to these blind test youtube comparisons on my Lintons (my reference these days :D), I picked them over Wharfedale 12.2, the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 and KEF LS50 Meta. The R200 appears to sound neutral (mids and highs) and have the characteristics of a bigger speaker. They are not that cheap though ($749). The Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 sounds very much like the Polk R200 but has overemphasized treble, IMO. The KEF LS50 Meta sounds like a small mid-range focused speaker but makes things like acoustic solo guitars shine. I like it but I always have a problem with how small they sound compared to other speakers. Too small for my living room.

[​IMG]

raye_penber likes this.
  20. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Strangest thing about the Dentons for me?
    No matter where I place them, how far into the room I stand them, they sound the best right up against the wall, slightly towed in.
    Literally 4"-5" from the wall.
    No bass bloat (but stronger bass).
    Imaging is better.
    No change to the soundstage.

GyroSE and ChrisR2060 like this.
  21. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Won't have you more treble if you point them in more aggressively?

22. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Marginally more treble, but not more clarity or top end.
    I actually think they perform fine in terms of treble frequencies, being on the slightly darker side of central.
    I just wish they had a wider soundstage and weren't so congested.

23. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I don't know that I actually believe bi-wiring makes any difference at all, or at least that's what I thought.

A few weeks ago, I decided to try it. I was moving equipment to a new rack/stand and thought now's the time as I can slap on some banana plugs and get to the backside of things. Other than the banana plugs and bi-wiring, moving equipment from one rack to another in the same spot, nothing else changed.

Except the sound. Soundstage got bigger, everything else just seemed to come into more focus without any harshness. Now I know I tweak the sound of my system to help deal with my tinnitus, but still. Maybe it's just my imagination, maybe it actually changed for the better.

You have nothing to lose if you try it, other than a couple of extra bits of speaker wire. Certainly less expensive than another set of speakers. I've been in love with these Denton 80s since the day I carried them in, but I'm loving them even more now.

raye_penber likes this.
  24. raye_penber

raye_penber .

0:47 seconds in.

Thoughts on the wiring?

25. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I don't have instruction book right at hand, but I remember Wharfedale recommending using the very top binding post (red) and the very bottom binding post (black) if you were not going to bi-wire. That's what I did before I bi-wired.

I'm still not sure if there's anything to bi-wiring, but I do have to admit I think they sound a bit better bi-wired. Maybe it's my imagination, maybe not. I do know, just before Christmas, we had friends over and they were very impressed with the sound. They're now looking to buy a pair of the D80s for their house. I did remind them to make sure they're using a good source as well (and I realize "good" is subjective. Our system we think is very good, but I have had an audiophile friend (from college days) tell me it's just too inexpensive and plain. I've ignored that comment. It makes me happy and that's all that matters.

raye_penber likes this.