Revisiting Duke - Genesis: It's actually good.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

second best Genesis album, after Abacab

2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Thank heavens I had finished eating my soup when I read that. Would have made a right mess.

3. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

Did the soup kitchen get mad at you for making a scene?

Rigsby likes this.
  4. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

Best LP they did as a 3-piece.

Jimbino likes this.
  5. Duke is where I draw the line with Genesis. After that it’s mostly dreck, although Abacab has its moments.

Wally Swift likes this.
  6. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

It’s great! I’d probably rate it as their 4th best album, after Trick, Selling, and Foxtrot, and just ahead of The Lamb.

Not a bad cut on it, although “Cul-de-Sac” and “Alone Tonight” are just okay. Everything else is aces, with “Heathaze” being perhaps the best Tony Banks song of them all.

7. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

“Cul-de-Sac” and “Alone Tonight” contain some great, very emotional vocals by Phil. Tune into his level of emotion as well as what was
    going on in his personal life at the time and it'll hit you, much like Daltrey's emotional vocals in "Is It In My Head" off of Quadrophenia.

ian christopher and Runicen like this.
  8. cageyc

cageyc Forum Resident

Agreed. Saw this tour at Joe Louis—Robert Cray opened, if I remember correctly—when I was a junior in high school and was so floored by Collins’ live drumming, which I had never experienced prior to this show, that I immediately began rethinking my then mostly aversive, Invisible Touch-based derogatory stance toward Genesis. Years later, I’m an ardent fan of the band generally speaking, and consider Duke one of their touchstone albums. Gave the recent vinyl reissue a listen last night, which led me to this thread to seek out perspectives: enjoyed the repress wax and the varied opinions!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Despite its flawed production, Duke is my favorite Genesis album, along with Nursery Cryme.

Floyd Crazy and Hollow Horse like this.
  10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The production really mars it for me and I'm not a great fan of the plodding opening track. Phil did it better.

11. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Very special album for me, a copy bought for me by a best school friend.

Since A Trick Of The Tail was my first Genesis listen, perhaps it was easier for me to take Duke on, not having heard the very early progress work.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This. And to me, progressive means “change”.

13. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I have found that Duke has aged rather well (listening to it as I type this actually), but, more importantly, it has some fine pieces on it. For me, this is where I truly get off the Genesis train. They had one hell of run from Trespass through Duke, although I did think Invisible Touch was pretty good.

14. manco

manco Forum Resident

A weird thing about Patrick Bateman's take on this:
    The real story of Duke was that all 3 songwriters brought 2 of their own songs each and the Duke Suite was co-written by all 3. So the idea that Phil Collins become 'dominant' on Duke is laughable then or ever. Tony Banks & Mike Rutherford never stopped being primary songwriters! What changed was Phil's solo career became gigantic at the same time.

15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yep. I think what this Bateman guy means is that he read the album notes and realised "Oh, Phil Collins is in this band".
    I find it infuriating that people use words like "artsy" as a pejorative to dismiss their earlier work, but now suddenly they're cool and interesting because one of the band members is this guy who is also a solo megastar.

16. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

I love 'Duke' a damn strong album from any Genesis era...

17. manco

manco Forum Resident

To me Duke is the output of a group firing on all cylinders with lots left in the tank.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  18. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

There must be some misunderstanding
    Our fans heard we won't be prog banding
    They all think its a mistake
    And they're irate

19. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Interesting to note that my 3 favorite songs on Duke were from each band member (Man of Our Times - Rutherford, Heathaze - Banks, Please Don't Ask - Collins)

pool_of_tears likes this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I had a $1 copy of self-titled 1983 in my hand the other day. I left it. Thought about it. Thought twice. Space is valuable though.

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The self-titled is the only post-1978 Genesis that I care to own.

22. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I’m no Genesis fan but I listen to Duke every once in a while and it takes me straight back to 1980 in the best possible way. I think it’s a fantastic album.

tug_of_war and Talisman954 like this.
  23. manco

manco Forum Resident

So I just read the 'Genesis' chapter in American Psycho. LOL, that has to be some of the weirdest writing I've ever encountered. The strangest part is when Bateman starts confusing band members, Tony Rutherford and Mike Banks. Oh boy, that's how out of touch this guy is. I mean Bateman, not the author. Author is brilliant.

ian christopher likes this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Maybe... but it would be a bit sad if that was someone's first introduction to Genesis.

25. manco

manco Forum Resident

Also Bateman thinks Misunderstanding is the template for all 1980s Genesis. SMH

The only part where he gets it absolutely spot on is a whole section talking about Man on the Corner. Was really surprised to see that song get attention!

Floyd Crazy and ian christopher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.